It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will March 19 'Supermoon' Trigger Natural Disasters?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Will March 19 'Supermoon' Trigger Natural Disasters?

www.space.com

On March 19, the moon will swing around Earth more closely than it has in the past 18 years, lighting up the night sky from just 221,567 miles (356,577 kilometers) away. On top of that, it will be full. And one astrologer believes it could inflict massive damage on the planet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Interesting indeed. I've been reading a lot of the posts on here about the March 14 potential pole shift regarding a comet/brown dwarf or whatever, but this is the first I've heard of this. I personally don't understand much of any of this, but from what it sounds like, I really should learn more about astronomy and astrology.

www.space.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
God I hope not! I live on the New Madride fault, and its been getting scary lately. Just yesterday at work, my co-workers and I heard a loud boom... my boss eve ran out of her office, there were a couple of people get out of their cars outside and look around... sounded like an explosion, but none of us saw anything... its was weird!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
i dont think it will be anything we couldn't handle. its not the legend of zelda: majora's mask...the moon wont fall on us. if it does...well ill try to dig out my ocarina of time and see what i can do.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
flagging. I'm not into predicting events. but things weigh in favor of an event around then. in my opinionnnnnnnn.
i'm in southern calfornia, please I do not want to experience a large earthquake lol

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
So does the disater thing come from it falling on a full moon then? Because I read that this happens ever 20 years or so. Does anyone know if the last time it was that close if it was full or not?

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I did a quick search and found that there was an earthquake in Oregon 15 days after the last time that the moon was this close. I don't know enough about the science but I wonder if the two were connected. I know 14 days is one half the time it takes the moon to circle the earth so I wonder if that has some significance.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DaveakaRNG

IMHO, the moon will continue to orbit the earth and nothing much will change (except for fror some slightly larger tidal movements).

The fullness of the moon simply reflects how much shadow is across it from our viewpoint and does not indicate additional mass or anything like it. It has no discerable effect on the Earth except for the light it gives.

Astronomy and Astrology are two different, and usually irreconcilable, world views.

My bet is on Astronomy being the truth, but that is my belief and experience, I could be wrong.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

I hear ya! I live right near the ocean in Hawaii. Already went through one tsunami scare, plus a big earthquake.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Well with an opportunity such as this I think a bon fire and moon rise meditation is in order so if it does come down, I will be in bliss.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
i think we need to look back on what happened 18/19 years ago last time it was this close...

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
So this will be the closest the moon has been in 18 years. Lets see, 18 years ago, I remember, nothing happened!!

With all the things to truly worry about, these days, I don't think we need scientists trying to stir up more anxiety just to boost their career.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I like your style.

In matters of earth's impending doom and eminent demise which humans have no control over, I'm with you. Sit back and enjoy the show. What a fitting way to go!
edit on 10-3-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Its meant to be worrying because the moons gravitational effects on the earth are relative to its distance, therefore a closer moon means stronger gravitational effects

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Gregorian calendar is outdated. Not many people realize that the Islamic, Chinese and Japanese calendars are precise to +/-1 day adjustment regarding moon cycles. Needless to say, this event has been anticipated silently by those group of people including myself.

If it's a fact the moon will be most closest to earth in decades, we can extrapolate there will be a significant natural or man-made disaster on or near March 19 2011.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by AmmonSeth

Yeah but stronger gravitational effects don't instantly mean doom. Nothing happened 18 years ago, I remember, i was there lol

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
So this will be the closest the moon has been in 18 years. Lets see, 18 years ago, I remember, nothing happened!!

With all the things to truly worry about, these days, I don't think we need scientists trying to stir up more anxiety just to boost their career.

18 years ago, based on Swiss Lunar Perigee and Apogee Calculator & Gregorian calendar (OUTDATED & FLAWED), it pointed to March 08 1993 which nothing happened.

18 years ago, based on Islamic calendar, it pointed to September 30 1993 = An earthquake centered in Killari, Maharashtra, India killed over 10,000.

Get ready who's next.

edit on 3/11/2011 by wisdomnotemotion because: better remarks

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
My bet is on Astronomy being the truth, but that is my belief and experience, I could be wrong.

It LIED

Tsunami Warning Issued After Magnitude 7.9 (8.9!)Earthquake Strikes Northern Japan= Updated 8.9!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Were DOOMEDI say DOOMED...

IRIS is busy... whole Ring of Fire is lit up like a christmas tree
www.iris.edu...

okay I think I need some more coffee....

Live feed here.. with reruns every few minutes
english.aljazeera.net...
edit on 11-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowflux

True indeed, however the earth is currently a lot more fragile than it used to be at the moment, I will feel no effects from this event, but that does not mean there won't be those affected in some way

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by DaveakaRNG

Forget March 19th.... its happened already.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join