It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic church being divided

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I have been a christen for a good while now and I was introduced to a different and somewhat new form of worship called �catholic charismatic revival � that a lot of Catholics are being drawn to. I always try to keep an open mind about things and since a lot of my friends starting going to there meetings I thought why not and went long to see for my self. What I witnessed was a strange advent where people where claiming to speak for the holy sprit and speaking in tongues and whirling around like mad people. It was a chaotic seen like something out of a movie and I just felt wrong but being open minded person I stayed and listened to what they had to say there where a few guest speakers on later.

The night didn�t improve and they had guest speaker from the other groups that where now spreading like a virus thought the world, as I now know. Some of the things mentioned where disturbing and against church teaching (not to say there right) and it was mentioned that the local priest would not attend because he thought it was wrong. After talking with my friends and going to a few more meeting with them I found there where only a few priests that even followed what that where preaching and the rest would have nothing to do with and seen it as a danger that was splitting the church.

I have noticed changes in the common beliefs we all shared and that they all now had been appointed a spiritual director who was claimed had special powers given them by the Holy Spirit. I didn�t like the control these people seem to have over there fellow christens it just doesn�t sit right that they now have the reasonability to consult there directors before making life changing decisions and should follows there advise as to what to do. It�s a cult like behavior to me and I think people should know about what the groups are doing. Some of the new beliefs are that for example mental illness is demonic possession and the work of the devil is some way and not a physical illness. It was also stated that metal health professionals are useless and will only make the matter worse. This is going back to what the catholic faith believed in hundreds of years ago its very medieval to me

Catholic Charismatic Renewal is a spiritual movement that has existed within the Catholic Church since 1967. It emphasises the availability of the power and gifts of the Holy Spirit for all, and encourages a close personal relationship with Jesus Christ. It operates through local prayer groups, communities, ministries and services around the world.

What ever these �catholic charismatic revival � are its not catholic even if they claim to have some kind of approval from Rome or whatever I think it�s a different religion trying to take over and replace the other by stealth.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Have you found any evidence that the Vatican is backing such a movement? If this is the case, then this movement would be Catholic. Because, as far as I know, the Pope has the authority to make the change, right?

Do you fear another reformation is underway?

I was a Catholic at one time, but I don't keep tabs on this stuff anymore.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:23 AM
link   
They have a lot of websites on google so ive found and there growning very large indeed i found another name they are becoming know by CATHOLIC PENTECOSTALS and thay tend to not like being called that.

Here one site thats clear to read and understand and one where i got infomation www.ccr.org.au... there are 100's on the web and after a lot of reading to back the claim i had been told they do have a approval

As far back as 1975 Pope Paul VI welcomed and publicly affirmed the Catholic Charismatic Renewal

source myweb.tiscali.co.uk...

People can do what they want in life thats what i belive but i have seen two people i know hijacked by this group that act cult like in there activities with gaining control over people.Look there not going to go "wako" on us but its not a good thing.

Do you fear another reformation is underway

Hmm that might not be a bad thing but not by these people we end up with a church thats 500 years behind the times.

Have a read of this site www.christianorder.com... they explain it better then i can as to whats going on.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
dwh0, have you ever heard them use the term 'drunk in the spirit'?

Did you see people having laughing fits for no apparent reason, people falling backwards, having fits on the ground?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   
No mate i would have left right off if that had been going on at that meeting but things like you wrote about have so ive been told happen on some meetings. After some more reading i am starting to get the idear that its a half baked PENTECOSTAL movment pretending to be a catholic one.

Maybe some one with some background on this can shed some light on what going on with the catholic church and this growning movment.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:23 AM
link   
The things I mentioned happen within Christianity itself, it's a mass deception.

I've even heard of people taking on animal manifestations, vomiting in the spirit and many more things.

I know one thing, this deciever called Rodney Howard Brown brought the laughing thing to the Catholic Charismatic Revival. He resembles a witch more than he does a Christian Minister.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I'm a Catholic and was somewhat taken aback, attending mass, at another parish, to find these charismatics. Some of the people began speaking in a strange tongue and a few tried to "lay hands on me." It was unnerving and very un-Catholic.
When this occurred, our Diocese was in flux. Our Bishop had been indicted for fleeing the scene of a fatal accident, there was the ongoing sexual abuse scandal etc...so, I think these people began to congregate at certain parishes where the priests were "lenient" enough to allow their ways of worship.
Now, we have a new Bishop, and he has issued strict guidelines regarding the mass. He has not spoken specifically of the charismatics, but he has said that we must follow the liturgy of the mass and that, even with the "kiss of peace", that it should be dignified and not some hand waving, whooptedo. So, I suspect he's trying to nip the charismatics in the bud.
There are also offshoots of the Church that practice such as Pius X. It is still sanctioned by Rome, but is composed of a bunch of people who disagreed with Vatican II.
Then, there are the real offshoots such as Our Lady of Sorrows who think Pius the X is too "liberal". They are NOT backed by the Vatican because they do not believe that the current Pope is the supreme leader of the Church and do not adhere to any of the reforms of Vatican II. So, there have been numerous splits, in the Church, over time.
What will be interesting will be to see how the next Pope handles things in the US. The US has been going it's own way, more or less, and the Vatican is cracking down, now, on the more "liberalized" tendencies.
I'm just a mainstream Catholic and not the most devout on earth. However, my 97 year old Mother In Law became involved with some of the offshots, for a number of years, and I found them to be very scarey. Just my humble opinion.
joey

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I've noticed that there are many catholic priests who have expressed concern about these charismatic movements.
In bible it was mentioned that christians will speak in tongues, perform miracles etc. but these people sometimes bring schisms and divisions.
Don't know, just being cautious.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by dwh0
Maybe some one with some background on this can shed some light on what going on with the catholic church and this growning movment.

Well, I do not have any background, but I can use a search engine pretty well.

Address of John Paul II to the participants in the International Conference for Catholic Charismatic Leaders

Time restraints prevent me from posting more at this time.

[edit on 20-7-2004 by Raphael_UO]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
The only thing the Catholic Church needs to do is stay true to the course originally set out for the faith in the beginning and stop trying to adjust to the times.

If these gradual "adjustment" policies keep going on, pretty soon Catholics won't even be able to recognize themselves from others. And this may be part of this splinter group's agenda: To eventualy merge all religious doctrines into a universal one world religion.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Don't go back to these meetings. Get the book 'Windswept House'. It was written by Malachi Martin a Jesuit Priest and a very important member of the Catholic Church. Fr. Martin said it was fiction but later said it was based on actual events that happened (and is happening) inside the Church. The Pope gave up alot of his control in the 60's with Vatican II. This book will give all the explanations of why and how these things are happening...you may be able to get the book at a local library or online....it also may be very hard to get. I tried to get a book by Fr. Martin and it took me 6 mos...the Catholic Church don't want his books being read...it exposes them.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SOTERION 5
...you may be able to get the book at a local library or online....it also may be very hard to get. I tried to get a book by Fr. Martin and it took me 6 mos...the Catholic Church don't want his books being read...it exposes them.

I'm not sure where you get your books from, but a simple search for 'Malachi Martin' at Barnes and Noble online (www.bn.com...) brings up all of his books, including Windswept House, which is available for same day delivery in some areas. I don't think the Catholic Church is trying to stop anyone from reading theses books....

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
You may also want to do a little research on Fr. Martin. His past and his connections are questionable. I would take what he writes with a grain of salt.....

Fr. Martin

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   

As far back as 1975 Pope Paul VI welcomed and publicly affirmed the Catholic Charismatic Renewal

crap, crap

Do you fear another reformation is underway

Hmm that might not be a bad thing but not by these people we end up with a church thats 500 years behind the times.

do more researchin dude, because when the reformation comes, you might be left behind!

join