It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Price of preventing pre-term labor EXPLODES from $10 dollars to $1500 per dose

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Preemie birth preventive spikes from $10 to $1,500

ATLANTA – The price of preventing preterm labor is about to go through the roof. A drug for high-risk pregnant women has cost about $10 to $20 per injection. Next week, the price shoots up to $1,500 a dose, meaning the total cost during a pregnancy could be as much as $30,000. T

hat's because the drug, a form of progesterone given as a weekly shot, has been made cheaply for years, mixed in special pharmacies that custom-compound treatments that are not federally approved. But recently, KV Pharmaceutical of suburban St.Louis won government approval to exclusively sell the drug, known as Makena (Mah-KEE'-Nah). T

he March of Dimes and many obstetricians supported that because it means quality will be more consistent and it will be easier to get. None of them anticipated the dramatic price hike, though — especially since most of the cost for development and research was shouldered by others in the past.

"That's a huge increase for something that can't be costing them that much to make. For crying out loud, this is about making money," said Dr. Roger Snow, deputy medical director for Massachusetts' Medicaid program.

"I've never seen anything as outrageous as this," said Dr. Arnold Cohen, an obstetrician at Albert Einstein Medical Center in Philadelphia.

"I'm breathless," said Dr. Joanne Armstrong, the head of women's health for Aetna, the Hartford-based national health insurer. Doctors say the price hike may deter low-income women from getting the drug, leading to more premature births. And it will certainly be a huge financial burden for health insurance companies and government programs that have been paying for it.

news.yahoo.com...

Geezus...this is a prime example of what a monopoly can do. Talk about rape and pillage.

This is outrageous!!
edit on 10-3-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-3-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
This is exactly what we should expect when government, or government-corporation alliance, control our health care system. No surprise to me whatsoever, this is how they push the free-market out of their way of monopolizing this important prescription and look at who gave them this authority to do so, the government.

Anyone have skepticism any more that the government is destroying the free-market at our expense? Light bulbs removing the free-market and sending the requiring we purchase the new bulbs which are made in China while our current ones are made in the US, allowing states to let health insurance companies create monopolies within the state, halting permits to all new energy plants using ‘non-green’ energy sources thus driving up our electric bills, and the countless other regulations to ‘protect us’ which are create monopolies and higher prices for the consumer.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
In a perfect world, this would be the type of issue the FDA would be addressing.

Several companies make the drug= $10
As soon as a contract is awarded= $1500

Unacceptable!

But recently, KV Pharmaceutical of suburban St.Louis won government approval to exclusively sell the drug, known as Makena (Mah-KEE'-Nah). T

I'm assuming the FDA would be the one responsible for awarding the exclusive contract.
I'm off to do some sleuthing on this company.

I guess, given the cost of giving birth, which is $80,000 and up, what's another $1490, anyway.

Bastards.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
In the last month, KV Pharm stock jumped from $4 to $13.

They have been busted, with the CEO being sentenced to all of one month in jail, plus almost $2 million in fines for:

oversized and irregular tablets of several different types of drugs, and also received consumer complaints about the oversized and irregularly shaped tablets.

Link
of a different drug, yet they were awarded this contract to ensure

quality will be more consistent

The previous CEO, Mark Hermelin, (son?) was, as of Nov. 2010 banned from doing business in the U.S. for two decades. He resigned.
bloomberg

This is the company that was awarded exclusive rights to produce this drug.
Something's not right here.

I'm looking deeper, right now the kid is screaming. I'll be back.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
This is from thier site:

“Prior to FDA approval of Makena, women who could benefit from therapy may have faced barriers to access due to the absence of a commercially-available, FDA-approved product,” said Greg Divis, Chief Executive Officer, K-V Pharmaceutical Company and President, Ther-Rx Corporation. “We established this comprehensive patient assistance program as part of our commitment to ensure that all eligible women have access to FDA-approved Makena.”

# Insured patients with annual household incomes of up to $100,000 who apply for and are eligible for copay assistance will have a copay of $20 or less per injection for Makena.
# Uninsured patients with annual household incomes of up to $60,000 who apply for and are eligible for patient assistance will receive Makena at no cost. Uninsured patients with annual household incomes between $60,000 and $100,000 will be able to acquire Makena at a cost that is comparable to the average copay assigned by commercial insurance plans.

So big Pharma is now scamming big insurance? It looks shadey, but on both ends. Costs skyrocket, but they claim the poor get it free, then charge extra on insured users.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

And the corporate Oligarchy grows, becomes stronger and exercises even more control thru pricing and availability.
In The future of Western Civilization we either adjust to the dystopian life style outlined for us or....

God help us!

join