It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul Floor Speech On Libya: "A No-Fly Zone Is An Act Of WAR!"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Epic Speech Quite Frankly!!!

Perhaps more of an important speech than epic than again, but it's amazing how people are going crazy over this as of yet.

Now even if you think that Libya won't end up as another Iraq, after the many years of doing what they needed to do in Libya do you think they will leave or have occupation for decades to come afterwards just like they are still in Vietnam and other parts of Europe.

I am barely seeing a sensible response from the media and even people regarding this
what's going on???

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
My understanding is that the the US or say the UK alone can't impose a no fly zone. It has to be legal and approved by Nato.

So far China and Russia have refused to back the resolution that the UK has sought to impose.

In my view it's the correct choice.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
We have no business being in Libya.

Help the people? Absolutely.

Provide support in various ways? Definitely.

Overthrow ANOTHER dictator? No.

We're spread too thin as it is and need to stop committing so many of our depleted resources. We don't need more marines on the shores of Tripoli and any more needless bloodshed.

~Namaste

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I agree with Ron Paul on this one! It does not make sense for the US to impose a no fly zone in Libya. Why not try to get the two sides in and try to resolve things peacefully? Sanctions won't help anything either. With the way this country is in debt, it would make no sense to go over there and impose a no-fly zone. Putting our pilots and special forces at risk for what? I know that the crackdown that Libya is doing is ruthless, but what do you expect? It is a civil war. Instead of war mongering, how about trying to get both sides to settle things amicably and quell the hostilities.

On another note. arming the rebels is a bad idea as well. It will come back to bite us years down the road and I can promise that!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

deja vu, it's 2003 again. Putting a no fly zone will inevitably involve military action and is an act of war, Ron Paul is dead right on this point (even if I do not agree with the man for so many other reasons). So now we have the anti-war folks who are silent, where are they, I don't see them on the streets protesting! I did not protest in 2003 just to see this all happen again and to see silence one again. Where are the tea partiers on the streets?? This is absolutely astounding. It's another oil war on the verge of happening and people are silent again. I even saw some posts from members here blaming Obama for not implementing a fly zone soon enough, are you freggin kidding me?? two wars, more than a $1trillion wasted and people are advocating for this?? Again?!

What is happening to the Libyan people is horrible, but then again this is not first nation to do this and it will not be the last. We cannot pick and choose nations to liberate, I'm sorry but there is no sense in this. Unbelievable.... This nation is being wasted away.... and Obama, yep, he is just filling the role of Bush and Reagan. Clinton did the same thing as well. When will we end this cycle of policing the world for corporate and political agendas??
edit on 10-3-2011 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
the most ignored point about establishing a no fly zone is the required bombing of their air force...it is indeed an act of war...

i say finish the current TWO wars first!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Let the French do it. Sarkozy, along with the UK's Cameron, have both called for a no-fly zone. The Charles DeGaulle is the only carrier in the Med. Obama has ensured that sufficient force cannot be deployed for at least a couple of weeks because no second carrier is in teh area. So let the EU do it.

As far as Ron Paul. Just go sit down, Ron. Really.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
If we make some form of treaty with the opposition, why could we not help them? I don't think it would hurt the Wests image to much.

TentMan is usin chem bombs and high-explosives against the rebels, a vastly under-armed collection of commoners.

I say smoke the s **t outa him, after he refuses too many offers of exile. Save those rebels, our brothers, who wish for democracy.

Those Libyan rebels make the US look like a bunch of dandies, thats for sure.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

As we have all experienced in the past, once it is brought to congress, it's a done deal. Doesn't matter how unpopular it is among the citizens, it's all an illusion that there will be a vote.

It was stated that the UN will decide. Well, that didn't work out so well in Iraq did it?

Unfortunately, people have to realize that it WILL happen. Unfortunately.

Damn I hate this crap!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
This is why I like this guy. If he comes to the table in 2012. He will have my vote, any other person is unacceptable. U.S. needs to stay hands off. So far we have done that. I can only hope this holds true.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
RP is right!! did NATO recently involve the nations elsewhere, where there has been government dictatorship impeachments,? if thats whatcha want to call it..? NATO doesn't belong in their issues!! let Lybia dual with it.. there is no global endangerment over Lybia... USA needs to quit poking their noses where it dont belong!!! what if the USA had (or ultimately will , if heads aren't plled out quickly) an uprising to deal with, and RECONSTUCT the people in charge (who aren't supposed to be.).. because WE THE PEOPLE who were in charge and soon will be again.. Do you think NATO would step in, in an another american revolution?... i doubt it... by the way Ron Paul for President!!!!...

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunTzu22
If we make some form of treaty with the opposition, why could we not help them? I don't think it would hurt the Wests image to much.

It will result in permanent occupation, let's be realistic
so yes it will hurt our image and hurt the economy

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Truth leave a poor taste in your mouth? Can you not stand to hear someone oppose needless military aggression, and imperialist hubris?

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
As far as Ron Paul. Just go sit down, Ron. Really.

I think everyone else should go sit down

oh wait...... they already are

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

It does not have to result it anything of the sort. You could provide tech experts and advanced weaponry.

Vehicles and convoy support could be provided, along wih contracted squad leaders, for on the ground leadership.

You don't have to put one Federal boot on Libyan soil to help these people, if a treaty is drawn up that will benefit both of our nations.

I do understand that our government DOES want to occupy Libya, to rape it of the oil found there. I am just giving an example of what could and should happen.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
ron paul is spot on and he gets my vote every election. even if i have to write him in. he is the best, but tptb wont let him get on ballot no matter how many primaries he wins. he is not part of their agenda. but wars waging around the globe are. dont they make more money from war? no matter how pointless.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

It's actually pretty scary how quickly people forget how many things the government said in regards to Iran and Afghanistan that simply weren't true or panned out.

A crisis comes along where some 'arab' or 'muslim' leader is being mean, saying something mean, or is suspected of something mean, and before you know it 3/4 of the nation is making excuses as to why we should bomb them or invade them or sanction them, because this time, this time is different!

In no way shape or form is Afghanistan or Iraq better off for the invasions there, I don't care how many schools, or hospitals or Jesus coloring books you want to point too, if someone blew up half the buildings on your block, left radioactive depleted uranium shells laying all over yoru neighborhood, and accidentally killed some of your friends and loved ones in the process, I don't think a new school or a hospital is exactly what would make it all alright in your mind.

Yet we really imagine it does make it all alright in our minds!

They are beating the war drums in Washington again, driving the unrest through intelligence agencies and the Internet in most of these nations, and I have little doubt that Libya is now on the U.S. Hit Parade List.

We really need to put a stop to all the killing that is being done in our names.

One way or another.

Star and flag.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
You know Ron Paul wasn't the first person to say this right? Either Patraeus or Gates said this when there were first talks about a no fly zone.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Ron Paul is seriously the only guy in Washington with common sense as one of his strongpoints as well as being a true patriot and I love it! I agree with this guy 100% and the only reason that these people want a no fly zone is to incite a war to "help" the Libyan people and true they need help, but not from the US military. And if this does indeed become a war over there it will be for the same reasons as these current wars: take down a bad dictator, free people from tyranny, oil, and to establish a "better" culture over there. Sounds like same old, same old to me but I hope that its not this time.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
This is weird. Why is he commenting on Libya? Shouldn't he focus more on the important domestic issue such as the public union controversy?
Why suddenly Ron Paul more into foreign affair when there's bigger domestic issue at hand?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join