It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egyptian Army tortures protesters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Remember those tahrir protesters? Well they want to keep protesting in tahrir to voice their concerns on such issues as constitution amendements and demanding for martial law to end. The revolution wasnt just about kicking mubarak out but about seeing the country change into a full-fledged democracy with a clean human rights record. Guess what? Thats not whats happening. Protesters in Tahrir were attacked by thugs as well as by the army, almost at the same time. The army arresting the camped peaceful protesters and not arresting the violent killing thugs. Its like they view them as acceptable vigilantes, who make their job easier by intimidating the protesters. Last week, thugs beat up and sexually harassed hundreds of women who were protesting against the lack of women in the new cabinet and more. Then Christians became targeted and clashes resulted in 13 died.

The Army vowed to restore order, not by capturing the actual "thugs" and offenders but by arresting the peaceful protesters and torturing them while they await trial, some given 2 years prison sentences. For what you say? For peacefully protesting. State TV labeling these protesters as thugs and not part of the Jan 25 revolutionaries. What BS! And people are stupid enough to believe it, because most of these people didn't really understand what the revolution was about, what its true inception was, and who started it. Unless you were a young person on facebook ever since 2007, chances are as an Egyptian you are totally clueless. You talk to a cap driver and they will tell you that the army did well in arresting these protesters since they are unpatriotic and destroying egypt. WTF???? Give me a break!

Here are accounts of army torture:

Ramy Issam’s Testimony on what happened to him yesterday at the hands of the Egyptian army. They are detainees who are still held in military prisons, and awaiting trial before military prosecutors. The TV displayed their images showing that they are thugs who were arrested.

My name is Rami Issam, 23 years old

I was in Tahrir Square with the rest of the protestors and demonstrators on Wednesday. March 9 At approximately 5 pm and a half we were surprised when the army along with a large group of armed civilians attacked the sit-in with bricks and stones. Alongside each other, they started breaking the tents, cutting the signs/banners, attacking all who are inside the circle with sticks and then started to arrest demonstrators. I was dragged by a group of soldiers beside the museum and was handed to Officers who then tied my hands and my feet.

They began to kick my body and face, and hit my back and feet with sticks, whips, pips, wires, and hoses.
Afterwards, they got an Electric detonator, the same kind that was used in the demonstrations and started electrifying different places in my body – with one device at first, then with more than one device at the same time. The military officers would leave me, throw stuff at my back, step on me, and throw shoes at my face. They cut my hair (It was long), and finally they put my face in the dirt and then filled my body with dust.
egypt.alive.in...

Lesson learned we hope: As the protesters numbers were not very big, the Army employed gunfire, threw molotov cocktails, used tasers, electric batons and clubs against protesters, and beat women. The Army seems to have coordinated the attack with the infamous plain-clothed thugs that seem to appear whenever convenient for the State Apparatus.

Trusting the Army in small numbers is obviously not wise as 30 peaceful civilian protesters are now being presented to the military prosecutor unit. Lawyers were denied access to this Military Court, and told that no protesters were detained.
www.democracyreview.com...

To make things worse, there are new organisations set up called the "United Revolution Youth" that claim to represent the youth who started the revolution but really they are pro-army, pro-stability, anti-demonstrations, condone violence against protesters, women, christians, and in a subtle way, pro-old regime style government. Yes they are the thugs that attack protesters and who attacked them with camels before. The revolution is being hijacked and there is nothing anyone could do about it because perception is a powerful tool for authority or whoever lurks in the shadows controlling these puppets. Most common egyptians will not realize the trap they are falling into. They love the army and they want protests to stop so everything goes back to normal, because to them the "revolution" was over and won by the people...even the pro-mubarak thugs believe they won and believe the revolution was theirs. Thats what I was told by a pro-mubarak thug yesterday.

edit on 10-3-2011 by DuneKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
This is so sadly predictable...

Violent, bloody counterrevolutions have happened so many times in Latin America, African and Asian countries over the last few decades... so I ask: what's the use of a non-violent, democratic revolution, when its ALWAYS doomed to meet such terrible ends?

I wouldn't trust hordes of protesters who take the streets and pretend to overthrow a violent, oppressive government, without any weapons or even commitment to defend themselves by any way possible. The results of this are BAD, all the time, no matter if it's paramilitary police, the Army. mercenaries or just violent gangs paid by the elite, they'll go loose brutalizing, murdering, raping people... for them it's open season, simply because they aren't facing a dangerous enemy, but PREYS.

Why... why there are still people who believe they can defeat an army of psychopaths with flags and shouts? Not that it's their fault or anything... just very, very naive, in a dangerous way.

The fact the UN is "watching" the situation only makes it worse.

Very sad
edit on 10/3/11 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion
This is so sadly predictable...

Violent, bloody counterrevolutions have happened so many times in Latin America, African and Asian countries over the last few decades... so I ask: what's the use of a non-violent, democratic revolution, when its ALWAYS doomed to meet such terrible ends?

I wouldn't trust hordes of protesters who take the streets and pretend to overthrow a violent, oppressive government, without any weapons or even commitment to defend themselves by any way possible. The results of this are BAD, all the time, no matter if it's paramilitary police, the Army. mercenaries or just violent gangs paid by the elite, they'll go loose brutalizing, murdering, raping people... for them it's open season, simply because they aren't facing a dangerous enemy, but PREYS.

Why... why there are still people who believe they can defeat an army of psychopaths with flags and shouts? Not that it's their fault or anything... just very, very naive, in a dangerous way.

The fact the UN is "watching" the situation only makes it worse.

Very sad
edit on 10/3/11 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

People couldnt take the humiliation any more. Martial law was in effect for 30 years and human rights didn't mean anything to the sadistic gov. They rigged elections so blatantly with leaked footage showing the rigging that it became just unbearable. It was as though Mubarak slapped them in the face and told them to like it. It was worth it in my opinion. More info: egyptianchronicles.blogspot.com...:+Egyp tianChronicles+(Egyptian+chronicles)

Here is an interesting video of what occurred in Tahrir recently:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Egyptian soldier shot dead by gangs: af.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Yeah... As was said, this was easily predicted. Take out the oppressive Head, let the military take over... And the military will become oppressive. Let's face it, the military is not known for its compassion and humility.

Thanks for bringing this to the board.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
There are articles about how the army stopped a coup by mubarak. But I will wait for more info and I can't confirm it at all. In the "questionable" article, it said they will reveal details in the coming days.

top topics

join