It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inventor, futurist predicts dawn of total artificial intelligence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

People like to tag Kurzweil as the "rightful heir to Thomas Edison," and that's not a stretch considering he's responsible for some of the most useful inventions of the past century. An optical-character-recognition machine for the blind that's capable of reading most types of printed text aloud, the CCD flatbed scanner, speech-recognition software, the first synthesizer that created sounds virtually indistinguishable from those produced by their acoustic counterparts, and a whole bunch of other nifty things we can barely comprehend came from Ray's brain.

Dawn of A.I.
Kurzweil Technologies

This along with all of DARPA's new robotic tech, could easily turn into a "Terminator" scenario very quickly if humankind is not careful. Watch out for Skynet!

No, but really, I think that we are on the brink of a serious "awakening", maybe this will have something to do with it. Maybe mankind won't even be around to see 2050. Ray Kurzweil has had some great ideas, but this theory about A.I. is just based on an equation having to do with the exponential growth of technology. Unfortunately, technology is stuck at the moment on how small they can make micro-chips. Scientists have been working on using nanostructures to make smaller micro-chips. Until this is figured out, we are at a plateau in micro processing technology.

Scientist using nanostructures to build smaller microchips

What do you guys think? Will there be self updating, source code building artificial intelligence by 2050?

P.S. I am aware of the computer that has been on Jeopardy, but in comparison to what Kurzweil is talking about that is just the very tip of the iceberg.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I am actually a fan of Kurzwiels but even he says its not an excate science. he uses alot of math and logic and other data to build a model and that model is expanded. some people dont like him, for many reasons though
I think he has his place. hes a pretty damn smart guy no matter what....

new topics

join