It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of dead fish appear in Glen Ellyn pond

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
I can't find an overall dead animal thread and don't want to start another one.Is there a overall thread?

news4jax

Scientists said an outbreak of golden algae is responsible for the death of thousands of fish. The algae is producing a toxic chemical. When fish come in contact with the tainted water, their blood cells literally explode.ATLANTIC BEACH, Fla. -- Dozens of dead fish have risen to the surface at a lake in Hanna Park. The floating fish have produced a foul smell and an eerie site

Sounds interesting. I wonder though, as in Glen Ellyn it was largely one particular type of fish in the pond (which was home to many types). A little further down the road in Chicago, we also had a large number of fish wash up in Lake Michigan, again mostly one particularly type of fish. In both instances the cause of death was determined to be lack of oxygen from snow being ontop of the ice.

Living in the area, we always have snow ontop of ice, but we do not always have tons of dead fish. Algae could be a reason, honestly though I think it is some type of virus or other illness.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join