It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio executes man using animal euthanasia drug

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Ohio executes man using animal euthanasia drug

AP story here

COLUMBUS (Reuters) – Johnnie Baston, a man convicted of killing a Toledo store owner, became the first person executed in Ohio with a drug that is often used to euthanize pets and other animals
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 10-3-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
so it seems that lethal injection executions in Ohio have previously used "sodium thiopental." But Hospira Inc. of Illinois said in January it would stop making the drug altogether after Italy, where it planned to move production, objected because the European Union has banned the death penalty.

So Ohio is now using pentobarbital... a drug never designed to kill anything! Of course an overdose of most any drug can be lethal right?

So rather then have something merciful and designed for the purpose they have to fall back on the proven methods of the local dog pound

AP story here(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 10-3-2011 by DaddyBare because: fix broken link

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
They should have just used a bullet.

They're cheaper.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

nm

edit on 10-3-2011 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Sodium pentobarbital is also used for judicial executions by lethal injection in the People's Republic of China.[citation needed] It has been approved for use in the U.S. state of Oklahoma.[12] On December 16, 2010, John David Duty of Oklahoma became the first American to be executed by pentobarbital.[13] On March 10, 2011, Ohio followed Oklahoma in executing its 1st inmate using pentobarbital. [14] The U.S. offices of the Danish manufacturer of Pentobarbital, Lundbeck, Inc., has expressed displeasure at this use of their product. [15]

Pentobarbital

Pentobarbital has also been used for physician-assisted suicide. It is used in the US state of Oregon for this purpose [10] and is also used by the Swiss euthanasia group Dignitas. Pentobarbital was also used for this purpose in the Northern Territory of Australia, prior to euthanasia becoming illegal in that region. In the Netherlands, a pentobarbital elixir is used for physician-assisted suicide (an alternative to euthanasia for patients who wish to take the barbiturate needed for the lethal cocktail themselves, instead of having it administered intravenously, in which case thiopental is used). Pentobarbital has no current therapeutic use in the Netherlands, and is only used for this purpose. Typically, when orally ingested for euthanasia purposes, an antiemetic drug is swallowed approximately 30 minutes before the lethal overdose of pentobarbital. This is done because large concentrated doses of pentobarbital may cause vomiting. In this role, pentobarbital is highly sought after by people wishing to end their lives but not allowed to do so under their country's laws. It is therefore often smuggled across borders from countries where it is still available over-the-counter such as Mexico, or purchased through illegal mail orders.[11]

Along with pancuronium bromide and potassium chloride, thiopental is used in 34 states of the U.S. to execute prisoners by lethal injection. A very large dose is given to ensure rapid loss of consciousness. Although death usually occurs within ten minutes of the beginning of the injection process, some have been known to take longer.[10] The use of sodium thiopental in execution protocols was challenged in court after a study in the medical journal The Lancet reported autopsies of executed inmates showed the level of thiopental in their bloodstream was insufficient to cause unconsciousness.

Sodium_thiopental

It's nothing new. The fact is it's a method of killing that has been tested. I don't agree with the death penalty except in extreme cases, but even then I'd think the state's concern is cruel and unusual punishment. Any drug that can put them to sleep then kill them fits the bill.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
just seem to pain lees for them, electric chair, bullet, or the rope, just to quick, make them suffer life in prison no nothing food once a day, bred and water cup of beans, one man cell sound proof and light for 4 hours.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Wow Ohio is still a backwards place then eh?

Death penalty - on par with China and Iran.

Remind me never to visit Ohio.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Baston, who was 20 at the time of the murder, admitted to participating in the robbery but denied shooting Chong Mah. Baston said he had no intention to kill anyone, and that an accomplice had committed the murder.
The defense argued in an appeal for clemency that the family of the victim did not want Baston to be sentenced to death and still opposed his execution.
The defense also argued that Baston, who had been abandoned by his mother and abused by his father, has been a model inmate and participated in several community service projects.

I really hope they were a bit more sure about this before they decided to kill this guy. Sounds like a case of guilty of robbery and maybe of murder so lets kill him just because we're pretty sure

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Well, he's dead, right?

Seems kind of ridiculous to accept such a thing as a death penalty then express moral outrage when it's done a certain way. Maybe I could understand some outrage if he was set on fire in the middle of Main Street or something but that's not what happened here.

The fact remains the system is still imposing death on citizens everyday either by use of courts and judges or by regulation and taxation.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

But then it makes you just as bad as the man who murdered the store owner

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Was Chong Mah shown mercy?

In my opinion Johnnie Baston was given way too much mercy, aside from any possible fear of death. I'm against the death penalty because none of us know what comes after death; it could be an easy out for people found guilty of atrocious crimes.
edit on 10-3-2011 by MzMorbid because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Not that I think the death penalty is the best solution, but you'd think they could just give them a bottle of oxycodone and have them take all the pills...it'd be cheaper, and probably more humane than just about anything else.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
So rather then have something merciful and designed for the purpose they have to fall back on the proven methods of the local dog pound

So your saying that animal euthanization is not merciful?

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Well I just hope they remembered to swab his arm with alcohol before administering the goods!

How ridiculous is that, swabbing their arm with alcohol jabbing them with a lethal injection? There have been very few cases where the person on death row is saved at the last minute and if its such a flimsy case then let it spend longer in court before rushing the defendant to be executed.

Capital punishment is ridiculous, it just reflects that the legal system is there entirely for the purpose of punishment, they don't care about rehabilitation of prisoners. The whole penal system is rubbish too, not only does it facilitate the radical criminalisation of those convicted of more minor crimes but forces them to join aggressive gangs and become more violent and detached in order to protect themselves. That aside, how can you put those charged with theft, assault, manslaughter, tax evasion, rape and murder - i.e. crimes with severities over a massive spectrum - all in the same basket? Why coop them up in cages and hate them whilst encouraging them to hate, rather than assign them councillors and show them why what they did was wrong? Relate their crimes back to them or those they love. If they've done something terrible and cannot be rehabilitated then just keep them there. Oh well, I suppose that would cost more.

Back to the OP - Capital Punishment is such an uneducated, backward, black and white mentality. Even if you want the guy on death row to be punished, what if he tortured a family to death? Why do him the favour of a quick and painless-as-possible death? It's hardly a suitable punishment. I guarantee it'll be a lot more painful on them if they ever realise the magnitude of what they've done.

'This guy might have killed someone, should we try to teach him why that is wrong?'

'Screw that, lets kill him!'

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

Or a rope.

Its reusable.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Sad thing is those who pull the execution trigger are gonna be judged by the real judge for his executioner would of handled them souls. I really think this is forgotten by those who think its only a job. HOW! GOD forbid some of the executed were innocent
That blood on them hands now...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

While your post was pretty hard to understand, I think you're trying to say that the person to blame here is the person who administered the injection?!

If that is your angle, then I am bewildered. The judge, jury, prosecutor, and DA, who convicted and sentenced him, or even the legislators that passed the lethal injection laws, or god forbid the criminal, seem like more likely people to put the burden of guilt on... but no lets blame the physician/prison employees (depending on the state, some are administered by physician, some by key operated machines) who had nothing to do with it, except for they showed up for work.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

Sad thing is those who pull the execution trigger are gonna be judged by the real judge for his executioner would of handled them souls. I really think this is forgotten by those who think its only a job. HOW! GOD forbid some of the executed were innocent
That blood on them hands now...

lolwhut

If you are referring to "god", he has more blood on his hands than any one man.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I live in ohio but personally I dont see this as a real big issue. If the system has you on death row theyre going to get you good and dead anyways. I would be more interested or concerned if it was particularly more painful and/or slow. Is there a major difference that we know of in how it kills you?

new topics

top topics

join