It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Absurdity Incorporated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
What's the score? Where do we stand? As a society, community, humanity. It all seems surreal, almost if we are removed from it all. Perhaps it is that we are. Or that we are removed enough to blur the line between real and fake.

Some of us sink hours into blogs and web sites, hoping to gain some sort of audience with someone we can connect with. Or staring into a screen and seeing a digital reconstruction of us (or who we want the cyber world to see) and looking at what others in far reaches of the world see themselves as. Living a second life or a world where war and adventures rules the land.

Violence, perceived or real, follows us all around. Shootings and criminal violence plague our lives. Some of us react in drastic ways to this threat. But to some of us, bunkers for Sit X and zombie attacks seem only a way of life. Nothing unusual or out of place. Gun supplies stocked as caring as a father tucks in his child. Nothing out of place and treated with the respect that the weapon might at some time save our life. Perhaps it will come true. Some of us are hopeful it will never come to that.

Social websites seem to run or lives. I personally am pleasantly removed from most of it, but I see the toll it takes. People thriving for their five minutes of fame seem to forget that the fame they seek really isn't fame at all. The gauge for what makes someone famous lost in time as some people strive for the absurd instead of the life changing. Does a post on a social network make you famous in any way? Some think so. To the point that they consistently update their pointless and irrelevant page.

Bringing me to perhaps my most personal gripe in the modern times; Who made this latest batch of superstars superstars? Do I really care about idiots who drink non-stop and fight or want to watch the “real” lives of spoiled rich housewives? Some of us do. So much so that we cannot wait for what they do next. Anxiously awaiting their every escapade. And in some sick way forgetting the real heroes of the day, the family run food bank to feed those who starve and the families of the troops who risk it all for wars and battles that seem as pointless as the politics that drive them.

Terrorism. The art/design of instilling fear into the lives of people. I have once saw a saying on a shirt that struck a chord with me: “Those who are truly free will NEVER live in fear”. Don't forget the difference between the phony tough and the crazy brave “It's better to die on my feet than live on my knees.” Some of us are soft and unwilling to stand up for what we believe in. Others don't know where to start.

Can you name the capitals of the fifty states in the United States or America? Are we getting smarter because of the “diligence” of our education system? We know the promises of the advertisements or jingles on television better than the intimate facts of he country some of us claim to care so much about.

Some of us are patriotic. Proud and loud at how they love America and have pride in this country (or the country of their own present location) however have no flag posted proudly outside their home. Either that or the flag is faded and torn. Those who look to right this by purchasing such items, please do us all a favor and buy and American flag made in America.

Some of us see the means to an end to sue others. We seem to be a society of people in fear of being sued. Some plague on others with powerful attorneys, sometimes justice is truly achieved.

Some of us yell about or rights and sanctuaries given to us the rights and benefits of our citizenship of this country. I'd like to point to the Declaration of Independence. The last sentence. “And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.” This was what our founding fathers wanted us to remember due to the fact it was the last thing they stated. Think about it for a bit. Some of us will. Some of those might understand.

Some of us actually believe that big business cares about us. Business has never been about people... It's about money.

Some of us fell secure with searches and checkpoints. But I have to remind them that true security starts in the heart and emanates from there.

Some of us purchase the latest clothes and make up in hopes that they will make themselves “in” or whatever. Can I take a moment of time to whisper something in your ear. You are beautiful! With pimples or defects, real or imagined... you are beautiful. Don't follow the trend... Set the trend.

What's more insane? Ignorance or preparedness?

Is anyone else concerned that after over two thousand years, the medical profession is still called and considered a “practice”?

“Money makes the world go around.” I cannot help but wonder, what if it was love that made it go around instead?

If you think you live in the land of the free, try going into a deli and urinating on the cheese (The Vandals), buy a beer at store after midnight, drive without wearing a seatbelt or not register your car with the state.

Ownership is an illusion. If you think you own your car, don't make a payment. If you think yo own your house or land, don't pay the taxes on it. If you think you own him/her because of a ring, try enforcing your rule.

Some think a child is what they need to complete their life. Have you noticed how many marriages/relationships were fine until a child came into it? How many children are taking the brunt of mistakes in judgment?

How can we really think ourselves as an intelligent species when we have so many people on the Jerry Springer show? You figure, at least 8 losers per show, how many shows per year, multiply buy how many years the show has been on the air. Add into that all the spin off shows of like nature with their own losers. I think we need to put some chlorine in the gene pool.

Did Wiley Coyote ever catch the Road Runner? If anyone deserved to get what they desired or dreamed, it was him. To put forth the non-stop effort and durability of his dream to not fall for easier prey like Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck... Amazing!

The old television show Highway Patrol would end with the sentence “Cars don't kill people, drivers do.” an yet some are still trying to ban guns.

Some of us believe that hunting has to involve dogs. But I know many Indians who have never used them. Flushing in not hunting. Hunting includes tracking and studying your prey. Deer aren't that brilliant that you require scents, decoys and dogs.

I think most of the problems in the world today can be traced back to Lawn Gnomes. No matter the event, they always have that knowing smile on their face.

I doubt there is any revelation in this. Perhaps it will be largely ignored by all of you who view it. Or maybe, just maybe there is a point and it hits you deeply. Thank you for your time.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
There is much in what you say and many points made. May I start with one which seems extremely important? Forgive me for slicing up your post, but I think these quotes drive home the point that we are isolated from each other and are desperate to make a contact with someone or something that will provide us with acceptance and even love, perhaps to just find a real place in a real world.

Originally posted by Jkd Up

It all seems surreal, almost if we are removed from it all. Perhaps it is that we are.

Some of us sink hours into blogs and web sites, hoping to gain some sort of audience with someone we can connect with. Or staring into a screen and seeing a digital reconstruction of us (or who we want the cyber world to see) and looking at what others in far reaches of the world see themselves as.

Social websites seem to run or lives. . . . I see the toll it takes. People thriving for their five minutes of fame seem to forget that the fame they seek really isn't fame at all. To the point that they consistently update their pointless and irrelevant page.

Some of us purchase the latest clothes and make up in hopes that they will make themselves “in” or whatever. Can I take a moment of time to whisper something in your ear. You are beautiful! With pimples or defects, real or imagined... you are beautiful. Don't follow the trend... Set the trend.

“Money makes the world go around.” I cannot help but wonder, what if it was love that made it go around instead?

Some think a child is what they need to complete their life. Have you noticed how many marriages/relationships were fine until a child came into it? How many children are taking the brunt of mistakes in judgment?

Certainly we make mistakes in judgment in trying to find our place, but I think that sometimes those mistakes are born of a desperation, a frenzy, to try something that will win us a place in a world of love.
(There is so much more that could be said, your post could be an outline for a book.)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Thank you very much! Maybe I will use this as an outline.

I have done a great number of posts here but can't remember a good ramble... So I threw this one together. Again, thanks for your kind comments and support!

join