It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands evacuated from Heathrow's Terminal 5 as armed police swoop on man with suspect suitcase

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Thousands evacuated from Heathrow's Terminal 5 as armed police swoop on man with suspect suitcase

www.dailymail.co.uk

Security workers are believed to have become suspicious when he walked into the building carrying a suitcase this afternoon.

Officers only evacuated people from the check-in area who had not been through passport control.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.[

edit on 10/3/11 by argentus because: change headline to reflect that of source

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
So around 5000 people evacuated from heathrow:

Heathrow's Terminal 5 check-in area was shut down for more than an hour today after armed police swooped on a man with a suspect package.

Thousands of passengers were evacuated after officers moved in on the British suspect, aged in his 30s.

Flyers had to wait outside for around 90 minutes before they were allowed back into the largest terminal at the airport which is used exclusively by British Airways.
Police cordoned off a small area while they dealt with the incident.

Around 70,000 passengers go through Terminal 5 each day and up to 5,000 passengers are thought to have been disrupted.

A spokesman for BAA said that no flights had to be cancelled.

'The Terminal 5 departures concourse has now been re-opened following an earlier police incident,' he said.

'We are sorry for the inconvenience caused to passengers while police attended this incident.'

He advised passengers to leave extra time to travel to the airport for the rest of the day because the airport had been 'very busy' as a result of the disruption.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: 'A suspect package was found at Terminal Five this afternoon and someone was with police.

'They were not arrested and the incident has been cleared.

I wonder how it will be before everyone stops been so "Jumpy" I mean the terrorists seem to be getting what they want (fear) without even lifting a finger anymore *slaps forehead*

www.dailymail.co.uk
edit on 10/3/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I wonder how it will be before everyone stops been so "Jumpy" I mean the terrorists seem to be getting what they want (fear) without even lifting a finger anymore *slaps forehead*

www.dailymail.co.uk

It's not the Terrorists who spread this kind of fear!!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

No, its the Government

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

My bad I misread your post!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
let me get this right?? they became suspishes after a guy walked into an airport with a suitcase?? well hes not guna carry his cloths in tesco bags now is he ha ha ha ha ha idots

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I find it somewhat disturbing that a "man with a suitcase" is considered suspicious based on his carrying baggage. I mean, I understand that a suitcase is a pretty damned fine place to hide a bomb, but by the same measure, its a pretty nifty place to store your underpants, your socks, and your sunblock.
I am assuming, since nothing came of this, that the gentleman in question was just a traveler, trying to get where he wanted to be, otherwise there would have been an arrest.
I wonder then what truely made the person who reported this man, suspicious of his intent, and of the content of his luggage? Is it perhaps a case (oh yes, maximum pun-age) of someone seeing a gentleman, of shall we say, ethnic minority background , with a case, and assuming based on this , that the fellow is going to blow everyone to hell and back ?
Just how pathetic can we get?

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
OMG. This is absolutely insane. A SUITCASE!?! Ah, geez.

This smells of fear-mongering. Next they will say that we can't travel with luggage.
edit on 3/10/2011 by Amaterasu because: typo

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I can't stop laughing at the comment

"So... basically, nothing happened? Excellent piece of journalism."

By Ex-Pat Kat

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Security workers are believed to have become suspicious when he walked into the building carrying a suitcase this afternoon.

Don't most people walk into airports with suitcases?

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
dumb brits are soo backwards when it comes to security..... you see in america, the TSA knows suitcases are just a front, the real terror is in the genitals. they should of been patting this fella down STAT!!!!!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Let me guess he looked like a Libiyain , jezz what excuse is next ?

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The daily mail is so full of s..t, it's a rag, the journalist are crap.

Thousands of passengers were evacuated after officers moved in on the British suspect, aged in his 30s Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

The guy was 72 years old.

Security workers are believed to have become suspicious when he walked into the building carrying a suitcase this afternoon. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Crap, they became worried when he started quoting religious babel then went on to shout that he was going to kill everyone and himself.

new topics

top topics

join