It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amish and SHTF

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Hey everyone! A very brief background first:

I live in South Eastern, PA. Specifically, along the border of Lancaster and Chester Counties. I live in a very rural area of the state and for that matter, the United States. I am very used to being, working, and seeing Amish people daily.

Now, last night I was watching a program on NatGeo about the Amish who were leaving the community in record numbers, for one reason or another. This got me thinking about the Amish in general. I began to wonder, "If "S" hit the fan, would the Amish even notice or be affected? (What's an "Amish"? Click link.)

Definition of Amish
Video of Amish

My wife and I spoke of it a little bit and we both brought up some great points which I will now bullet:

- Since the Amish don't use electricity anyway, would they even notice right away that the power was off?

- They live almost 100% off the grid in the first place! Water is from a well. Light is from a candle. Gas for generators, for the farm equipment, is stored by the thousands of gallons in their barns.

- They are tough yet, they are pacifists. How would they fight off roaming hoards of people looking for help? Would they help? Would they even fight people off, or just turn the other cheek?

This is just a snip it of our conversations. What do you guys think? Would you consider joining the Amish or even helping the Amish in a catastrophe?

I hope to gain some insight into what the average person thinks of this situation. I believe it belongs in the Survival Forum because it relates to Amish and SHTF.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I think if SHTF instead of banding with the Amish, the human race should join together and help eachother (Including the Amish because they would be a useful tool to have in starting a new civilization without governments). Theres really no limit to what we could accomplish if everyone worked together to benefit EVERYONE

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mrjones7885

They sure do know how to throw up houses/decks/and fences really well!

Although I like the idea of binding together, it will never happen. Too many people want to kill too many people.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I have respect for the Amish. They life a life of discipline I could not imagine. But not only that, their daily life is amazing.

Many times I have (like a good "English Man") visited and marveled at their skills. Truely amazing people.

Depending on the Sit X. If the power goes out... More than likely they will not be effected, but if a legion of zombies show up, I have a feeling they'd notice.

They have traits that would allow them to survive most situations, but would the be able to survive the assault of looters during the cilvil unrest...?

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The Amish would figure out what happened when 100,000’s of looters show up.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

theres isnt much for them to give up....and they would anyway....just ask them

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by NeverApologize

As far as the Amish, I dont think that they do not know how to defend themselves. Even though they are not bombarded with our violence on tv/movies/etc,. I do think that they are fully aware that this place can be dangerous. There are magazines where you can actually by the same goods as the Amish, and tutorials all over the internet to learn what they do, and how to do it for yourself.

IMHO, the greatest thing that you can have in a SHTF scenario is a skill. There is no way that we will see people going all out crazy in a matter of days, or maybe even weeks. People will begin to look for others that can help. The majority of people that are concerned with a serious SHTF scenario are prepared, and in my opinion the ones that will survive the longest and based on skills they can even get protection.

Those who are not concerned will be seeking out the help of others that were prepared. I mean really how many guys do you know who own things such as firearms and ammo, and dont know how to hunt, or fish? The ones who are the strongest, and have skills to help themselves and others will be looked at as assets. These scenarios aren't about temporary solutions, but long term common sense. You can either be a beggar, or you can be a survivor. I choose to be a survivor and intend on helping those who will need it, not demonize them or fear them, as everyone is not looking to kill, and steal.

Just my 2 cents.
Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Well, there is their livestock and food.

An interesting hypothetical .. what if local English were to protect the Amish communities in exchange for food? I wonder if the Amish would be willing to allow others to act as armed protectors for them in order to preserve their lives and livelihoods.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrjones7885
I think if SHTF instead of banding with the Amish, the human race should join together and help eachother (Including the Amish because they would be a useful tool to have in starting a new civilization without governments). Theres really no limit to what we could accomplish if everyone worked together to benefit EVERYONE

So true. And I offer a way we can do that - hopefully circumventing the S hitting the fan. Please read The End of Entropy and The Ethical Planetarian Party links in my sig.

As for the Amish... I am in mid-state NY, and there are many Amish here. I think they would try to help all they could - though if the crowds became too large, they would be overrun. But if they weren't overrun, they would fair better than most.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
- They are tough yet, they are pacifists. How would they fight off roaming hoards of people looking for help? Would they help? Would they even fight people off, or just turn the other cheek?

The Amish know how to hit people
Just ask their kids

Originally posted by Amaterasu
As for the Amish... I am in mid-state NY, and there are many Amish here

Hi neighbor!
edit on 10-3-2011 by reticlevision because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

They would simple GIVE them ALL the food, land and livestock without resistance. This is how they live. They would not and will not fight, nor resist, nor complain. Theyll say "Friend. Take it. God Bless you".

Their feeling is if someone wants it, then give it to them...and they would.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmaterasuAs for the Amish... I am in mid-state NY, and there are many Amish here

Hi neighbor!

Hello neighbors...

I would venture to say, if there was no Sheriff that they could call, I would not want to be caught on their property without walking up to their front door, knocking, and starting a conversation first.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
They are a fascinating people IMO!

Per their own beliefs they would NOT defend themselves. I have personally seen an Amish man pushed, shoved, and slapped in the face and he continued to walk. Now, this may have been just his belief but I asked my sisters Fiance (left the Amish 6 years ago). Last name Stoltzfus, go figure LOL!

I would gladly team up with the "jakies", down the street! They are some very helpful people. They are also great to be around in general.

It seems I was not the only one who had speculated this event!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
There are some Amish communities in PA that are a living oxymoron. Their chosen way of life says that as a people they wish to be left to themselves, to tend their lot and live their lives as they see fit. They are known for rejecting many of the ways and trappings of society in general. On the overall, they get the point across that they want to be left alone, to live their lives in peace.

Then they spend much money to make sure glossy professional tourist pamphlets with painstakingly accurate travel directions are distributed and available at diners, supermarkets and gas stations for a 300-400 mile perimeter.

"Please, leave us alone, let us be...and here's how to get here so you can buy our stuff".

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The amish are amazing people honestly... 90% of them would help anyone in need no matter what the situation.

i wouldn't join them but i would help anyone that needed help in a disaster situation myself.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I live among a sizable 23 family (which is like 12-15 or more in each by the way) Amish community.

I count many of them as friends and while we may disagree on a good many things religion being chief among them it seems to not be a hindrance to our associations. They were slow to warm up to us but once we did they embraced us.

I trade with them regularly – they are the primary purchasers of my raw goat milk (the one family makes a awesome lavender soft goat cheese) and eggs since my chickens can lay year round with light manipulation while theirs cannot.

They may have a simple lifestyle but they are hardly simple – my closest neighbor Joni is one of the elders of the clan and he and I have had many long conversations over iced tea about the world and its potential fates. He asked me to save my papers for him (WSJ and a couple magazines as well) and he reads them here on the porch. I think he may be something of a rebel. He is very politically savy.

He is fascinated with the fact that I was in the Army for so long and we talked about it’s structure, organization and politics so much I gave him a copy of the old field manual I had in a box on staff operations.

He even once came galloping out to my house one night when I was hollering for my the dog so loud that he heard it and thought I might be in trouble – it was like 2 am and he rode up bareback and with shotgun in hand FFS.

I regularly hire his 18 year old twins to help me with my more strenuous tasks on their “free days” and treat them to diner in town. They work hard for 10.00 an hour and will finish any task you give them. I had the boys build me fence across a water gap and they built it by hand with no power tools. They even came out after one hard rain and fixed it because they saw it starting to sag.

I have told him that he could call on me should “something happen” that involved a confrontation since he is a pacifist. He told me that he had no issues with protecting his family but wouldn’t shoot someone to protect his property.

That said I also had some bad business dealings with one of the families when we first moved in a younger member sold me a horse and saddle for 800.00 pretty good deal I tought the wife actually did all the negotiations and wanted the horse (a Gurello quaterhorse draft cross prety unusual).

Come to find out through another Amish guy that the kid paid 100.00 for the horse and saddle at a farm sale. I told Joni not to complain but just to make a point about how much I thought he manipulated my wife who he knew to fancy the horse’s color.

About 3 weeks later the kid rode up to the house apologized and paid me back 500.00 because they considered that usery or something for him to gouge a neighbor for that much profit. He wasn’t thrilled obviously. That kid (he’s like 24) doesn’t talk to us nor will his father. So the kid trippled his money I guess not bad.

Anyway, I think if SHTF I would find myself in the role of protecting the local Amish in exchange for some help with their horse teams and such for my fields and hay. It would work out.

I even have plans for an old SF teammate and his wife to come here if that happens and we have room for a few other guys in a trailer to make a local militia force for that purpose.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The Amish have maintained the one thing that we have lost.

Discipline...

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Very cool story! I'm not close like you are with them, unless you include my sister's fiance? He is my only inlet to their community.

It's awesome to see they are working with the community instead of against it in your case! Enjoyed reading that very much!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Interesting thread

If left alone, the Amish will go on much like they have and will have little problem adapting to the collapse of society but.....

While isolated in a cultural sence, from a geography standpoint, those in PA would have a tough time with the hordes that would roam out from the cities and even IF they had the will and the ability to defend themselves they would be likely overwhelmed by the crush of those pouring out of the cities. They simply are not isolated enough from a geographical standpoint to avoid this.

Also even if willing to turn over everything and trust in god, I have little faith in my fellow man that they will not go unmolested at some point. Ive seen teenage gangbangers killed because they sat on the wrong car. In that context when its an all out survival situation............

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I personally would love to live like that, but don't have the opportunity. My family planted and has maintained a mango farm in the 1940s for four generations here smack dab in the middle of what is now city sprawl in Palm Beach County Florida. I'm able to make a very nice living during about half of the year, while the rest is spent working construction. The contrasts are unbelievable, and I hope to someday be able to live simply among plants and animals all day, despite the modern "opportunities" all around me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join