It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinion: .223 is the worse self-defence/hunting round ever! What you want is a .243!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I agree.

I don't want to be guilty of "thread creep," but the question of tactics comes in about this point.

If you are wise/prepared enough to have a team together, I'd want a variety of tools.

Considering the, um, "expropriation" of resources at an abandoned pharmacy, I can see 2 guys going in with pistols and maybe a shotgun. A guy around back and one at the corner with assault rifles. Guy on the roof across the street with a rifle. Radios help keep people calm.

The guy with the scoped rifle is the game-changer. Especially if he takes his position without being seen. Likewise, doing a forcible entry on what is supposed to be an "abandoned" pharmacy is much safer with pistols than it is with an assault rifle or hunting rifle. Long guns can be unwieldy when seconds count.

5 guys with a variety of arms is far more potent / safe than five guys carrying identical weapons.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

Considering the, um, "expropriation" of resources at an abandoned pharmacy, I can see 2 guys going in with pistols and maybe a shotgun. A guy around back and one at the corner with assault rifles. Guy on the roof across the street with a rifle. Radios help keep people calm.

Hey where can I sign up for your SHTF team?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

You can join up; but as long as you're the new guy, you'll have to carry the 'skeleton key.' (bolt cutters).

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
As I stated in the title this is only my Opinion based on half a century of combined Military and general hunting experience. I am and Armorer a collector and avid re-loader. I also follow the threads here on ATS very closely and lately I have found a disturbing trend. A push away from good proven hunting rounds and weapons, towards what I feel in many cases are poorly designed paramilitary platforms. (M4/M16 or SKS AK's)
At typical .243 velocities, the 95 grain bullet's lateral drift at 300 yards in a 10 MPH crosswind is about 6.3 inches.and that takes us to what a 243 is???

Per Wiki

The .243 (6mm) is based on a necked down .308 cartridge case and is known for its accuracy, flat trajectory, and relatively mild recoil.

.243 Win. is a much better killer on animals in the 100-350 pound class than the .223 Rem. A 95 grain .243 boat tail spitzer bullet at a muzzle velocity of 3,100 fps. retains 1,455 ft. lbs. of energy at 200 yards, 1,225 ft. lbs. at 300 yards, 1,024 ft. lbs. at 400 yards, and 890 ft. lbs. at 500 yards (Winchester figures). The .243 is more lethal at 500 yards than the 5.56mm NATO or 7.62x39 are at 200 yards!

Of course this is all just my Opinion ... but...
the .243 is by far the better choice for a personal protection/hunting arm...plus you can pick up a new for for under $500, rather than spend a couple grand for a cheap M4 copy...

Great post DaddyBare,

I was forunate to meet and spend lots of off duty time with the NOCIC of the small arms range in New Mexico when I was on active duty. He used to say exactly what you put in your post. I made me recall his instuctions as if it yesterday rather than 40 years ago. Your ATS Avitar shows army chevrons so I assume you are not USAF.

Thank you for your service,

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Good thread good replies.
Although i am terribly comfortable with my 5.56 / .223 platform.
It may not be the all around best but worst is a big word.
For true stopping power i was looking at 7.62 uppers but the difference in recoil was huge compared to 5.56, alot more than i imagined.
I still may get the upper for grins and giggles but at the end of the day the best caliber is what you are comfortable with.
Plus even though i reload i don't reload rifle, i should though.
Mil surp ammo is just soooo cheap.
Once again good stuff.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Shoot, .22's work just fine, also that's as far as I'm going into this subject. No high powered rifles needed. Also shotguns, shotguns are lik,e invaluable in certain situations

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
While I agree that .243 is a better round for hunting (I own one myself), please don't discount the .223/5.56mm.

Take it from someone who has used the 5.56mm very recently against the 2 legged variety of game - It will kill. There will always be a better round than any one stated but for an all round bullet the .243 takes a lot of beating. That's why I chose it.

Still, I would challenge anyone to stand 400m from me while armed with my issued individual weapon (SA80A2 in 5.56mm) and let me take a shot at them. Then we'll see if it's useless or not!

The .243 may be better but the .223 will still do the job.
edit on 20-3-2011 by PaddyInf because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join