It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virus just took me out. Watch what you open.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
reply to post by woodwytch

do the safemode with networking and if you still can't get to the malwarebytes site do a google search for malwarebytes anti-malware portable and download that, run it and update it and do a full scan then reboot in safemode [without networking] and repeat, you will have to do a full disk cleanup and delete system restores

and get a proper boot disk with anti viruses and spyware tools like bart pe

to the linux users i recomend bactrack, formerly slax based, it is now based on ubuntu. it has firefox with tor for the more paranoid, with a java script blocker just turn that off if you are on ATS or youtube, you can also install clamwin AV and use it to scan your drives.

sometimes these malwares are already so entrenched in your system that they can't be eliminated, the aforementioned bootdisks can help you back up your docs [i don't need to as i always keep them on a separate disk] and then restore to factory results or reinstall or restore from an image[fastest]

A lot of rootkit viruses will load in safe mode as well, one trick is to boot in safe mode as another user .. sometimes that works.. but what happens is these viruses install a local proxy and then force your internet connctions through it.. then they can block sites they don't want you getting to as well as modify the content of the pages on the fly.. inject ads.. etc..

Also these rootkits often come with droppers, little programs that have the main purpose of downloading more viruses in the background, or updates to the current virus.. the one I got while browsing ATS was a nasty one that downloaded a new bunch of viruses after 15 minutes.. it created scheduled tasks to automatically download and install viruses! so even if I cleaned the system out entirely, the task would fire and re-infect me again.. took me a while to notice the scheduled tasks

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Download the the anti-virus software using another PC, put it on a memory stick, and install it from that in safe mode.

EDIT: It's better that you don't allow it an internet connection anyway, it might be able to download more crap and send your keystrokes to a server.

edit on 10-3-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
have any of you talked crap about anonymous??? just kidding

I had this happen but no problems with viruses..yet my macs a sweetheart

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
There are several script blockers you should be using with firefox. if you are running windows xp. they help to prevent drive by malware installs.

if you have windows 7 i suggest using microsoft security essentials. it does a good job of catching malicious drive by malware.

in any case. I suggest that you all create a seperate user account with limited user rights. This will help to lower your risk of unintended malware installs.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
There are several script blockers you should be using with firefox. if you are running windows xp. they help to prevent drive by malware installs.

Like what, for example...?

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

noscript for firefox: noscript.net...

It's great but, it can be a pain in the neck. So i mostly run it in ALLOW ALL mode, of course not as safe but it still offers some protections even in allow all mode. Its worth having in there at all times.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

www.abovetopsecret.com...

EDIT: NoScript, AdBlock Plus, and Ghostery are the script blocking ones. Targeted Advertising Cookie Opt-Out is also good.

edit on 10-3-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I use avast, spybot search & destroy resident(ex. keeps sites from changing registry settings) and Microsoft Security Essentials. I never have any problems on this site. I don't ever have problems with adware, spyware or viruses.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

It is a false positive in your anti-virus program. Uninstall your virus protection, and download and install Microsoft Security Essentials. For some odd reason I cannot download this from the Microsoft webpage, but it is available in Windows Updates, I think, and at C-Net. I am a computer repairman, and have been installing this for customers for 6 months now. Not one has come back with a problem. Microsoft Security Essentials takes the place of Windows Defender, and acts as a strong firewall, system protection, and anti-virus protection all at the same time. I hate Microsoft and Windows, being a long time Linux user, but I swear by this program for windows. Finally Microsoft did something right, and they didn't even tell anyone about it.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Well I am back again to just say that since I posted last, my antivirus has popped up 5 times while clicking on pages here on ATS. One was called "banker" or something like that.....I don't know what is causing it! It happened a couple of times when I clicked on a link, but most of the time, I just went to a thread to read, and it popped up....
Also, it happened a couple of times at other sites, but mostly here.
BTW....I have Antivir Antivirus Premium and Malware Bytes.
edit on 13-3-2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Actually is was the conficker virus which was attacking my pc. I was able to stop it and remove it before it had full control.

I'm clean now but that thing was brutal.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join