It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virus just took me out. Watch what you open.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocky Black
I highly suspect it has nothing to do with the ATS faculty but more or less a unidentified lurking member with control way above you or my level.

Sorry not accusing you but you have no idea who has the ability to walk all over your source code undetected. By the way do you have an contractor you use to add and modify code on your system or is it all done inhouse?

By implying we might operate an unsecured system, you are accusing us.

No one modifies our code other than myself.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocky Black
Please tell me what it was that what was said which made me get this warning.

In your opening post, you circumvented the vulgarity censors, which is a clear T&C violation.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Sorry not trying to be smart.

There is no such thing as secure.

Nothing is secure as our network and systems our data travels through are compromised.

Have been for years.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thank you for responding. I do aprreciate all the hard work you guys do.

My bad. I did not try to circumvent anything. I do on an occasion I guess when I spell #e.

Thanks again fior correcting me.

By the way I'm back up and clean.

At least that is what I have been told by my assistant...

Thanks again.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
A good conspiracy theorist would read through this thread and theorize upon how this is all a grand plot to get everyone to switch to linux ubuntu.

Stuff happens people, it's the internet, blame everyone and everything... And stop taking things so seriously, you'll all live longer... Or at least until the next world war.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
Yep.....happened to me today....it was a fake windows security alert listing about 8 viruses that had supposedly infected my computer. Luckily, I knew it was fake, and did not click it.....I just shut down, started back up and ran my antivirus and malwarebytes to make sure it wasn't there. If you get one of those windows security alerts DO NOT click on it. It looks EXACTLY like the real thing but it's a trick! If you click on it, it will infect your computer....

Got me too ... unfortunately my son was using the computer when th fake alert popped-up and clicked it ... now the damn thing has blocked my real antivirus software ... and it wont let me click on any of the picture or youtube links in threads here (or on other sites ... including my own websites).

I went to 'control panel' in the hope of uninstalling it but guess what ... it has no uninstall

Now, I am not very tech-savy at all so could anyone 'in the know' please offer a step by step guide in laymans terms on how to get rid of this thing ... it is really annoying when I have to reboot every time I switch from one site to another.

Woody

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

You're infected, some great advice on what to do in this post here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

On page 2 of this thread.

edit on 10-3-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

Thanks a lot I'm off to try that now

Woody

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

Thanks a lot I'm off to try that now

Woody

Oh well, it sounded like a simple enough plan ... the only problem is the virus has blocked me from using any of the search engines (Google Bing etc) so I can't get onto either 'rKill' or 'Malwarebytes' to download their programmes.

Any other suggestions greatfully received. Woody

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

edit on 10-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Hold your power button down on your computer until it shuts off... turn it back on, and when prompted choose start in safe mode with networking.... Then follow the steps in that post.

You need to be in "safe mode with networking" to do the rest.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Yep, FF is right. Safe mode with Networking. Also, you'll likely need to actually plug into a network. Wireless almost NEVER works in this mode. (at least for me).

On many computers, there's a function key to press to get the boot choices. F8 for most Dells, I think, and Delete or F7 for some others. If you don't know what yours is, try them each. Keep rapidly pressing them while it boots up, until you see the options come up (it will look like an old school DOS screen).

I'd also suggest Googling on the removal steps for this, as something I didn't see in the linked post was the instruction to remove the proxy redirect website (it's a lot easier than it sounds). You can do this, of course, on a different PC and print them out, so you can reference.
edit on 10-3-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Control Panel > Internet options > Connections tab > Lan settings > Uncheck "Use proxy server" > OK > OK.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky
reply to post by Rocky Black

I learned not to open those from Admin............Those two you mentioned I deleted.........I am sure ATS is doing everything they can to stop such attacks ......but there is always away for “those” who wish to detour members from coming here through viruses …….Its the risk I guess we must take to be enlightened......just my thoughts......

edit on 10-3-2011 by Cloudsinthesky because: (no reason given)

Got sent to a " hostile page alert page" the otherday.I shut it down immediately ...

I also immediately delete u2u's re: Streetview"before opening and and don't ever click ads.... Sorry....

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ReRun

many of those "fake antivirus"-type malware hide their files in the jpeg/image that becomes your desktop wallpaper, find it and delete it with teracopy [will delete stuff without sending to recycle]
also i recommend Malwarebytes Anti-malware keep it always up to date and boot into safe mode and run a full scan regularly.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
A Letter from Anonymous:

Watch out ATS users!

HAHA!

link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

I use Avira and it goes mental on this site.
Haha, I tried browsing this website a few weeks ago using only a normal Internet Explorer browser with no plug-ins (like no-script). I was hit with pop-ups, pop-unders, and every other form of freaking advertisement known to man. It's freaking ridiculous, this website cannot be browsed under normal conditions.

edit on 10-3-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

link   

do the safemode with networking and if you still can't get to the malwarebytes site do a google search for malwarebytes anti-malware portable and download that, run it and update it and do a full scan then reboot in safemode [without networking] and repeat, you will have to do a full disk cleanup and delete system restores

and get a proper boot disk with anti viruses and spyware tools like bart pe

to the linux users i recomend bactrack, formerly slax based, it is now based on ubuntu. it has firefox with tor for the more paranoid, with a java script blocker just turn that off if you are on ATS or youtube, you can also install clamwin AV and use it to scan your drives.

sometimes these malwares are already so entrenched in your system that they can't be eliminated, the aforementioned bootdisks can help you back up your docs [i don't need to as i always keep them on a separate disk] and then restore to factory results or reinstall or restore from an image[fastest]

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

Same exact thing happened to me a couple of months ago, trashed my system .. in my case it wiped out the partition table and the MFT tables got corrupted as well.. system went down right as my software detected a rootkit ..

I was only able to recover some of my data.. worst hit I've ever taken

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

The best tool I've ever used for cleaning up a badly infected machine is called combofix

ComboFix

It's a powerful tool that is designed to combat things like that.. rootkits or viruses that take over the machine..

You might have to download it from another pc and put it on a thumb drive, you may also need to rename combofix.exe to something else as a lot of viruses now block that executeable

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join