It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virus just took me out. Watch what you open.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

Same here.. Had to give the correct exit alot of thought, It was a moment... seen it last year... hit the incorrect reply...
Well $125.00 later all good.

Please ATS.. Realize this and remove this threat...

Jesse

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

excellent : )
linux really is great, i was a avid windows user for years, then i "saw the light"

But seriously i am no "pro" or "nerd" , just like to say,
the linux terminal which is fantastic and easy to use ( relatively ) is what i really like,
and linux is excellent at protecting against viruses. ( imo )
, i still pick up lots of help and the linux forums floating around are full of pros with excellent advice, if you get stuck on something they will usually be willing to give a step by step guide on how to fix something if you are unsure yourself : )
i would recommend switching when you have a chance. : )

Peace

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
It just happened to me - I had just clicked off from posting on a thread.
I use Foxfire and Avast antivirus.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Just happened to me, opening my ATS page... Stalled and was waiting for.... b.scorecardsearch.com

redirected to a page, address bar showed; about:blank

Popup: AVG has detected a virus... used Ctrl, alt delete to escape.

I don't have AVG, I use McAfee premium, and it didn't catch this one.

The ad displayed was netflix.

Strange.
edit on 10-3-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

That is exactly what heppened when my laptop bit the big one.........AVG has detected a virus.........

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Is the virus anything like this pop up, Security Tool Virus is a rogue anti-spyware program that’s distributed through websites that simulate virus scans. The user is than prompted to download the software to clean the infected PC. The tool provides false alerts of legitimate files that are needed by your Windows PC. Do not remove these files!!!

security-tool-infected-window-7

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I had the "security tools" virus not too long ago. The virus shut down my virus protection software, slowed my system to a crawl, and basically took over my computer.

Here is what I did to fix it:
  • I restarted my computer in safe mode with networking.
  • I downloaded rKill and Malwarebytes.
  • Ran rKill. It shuts down programs running in the background allowing me to shut off the virus program which allowed me to have control of my virus protection software once again.
  • Ran Malwarebytes and let the program clean my computer, getting rid of the virus entirely.

Malwarebytes has a free and paid version. The free one works just fine, the scan takes a bit to run though. The paid version offers a few more functions such a "flash scan" option. I highly suggest downloading those two programs just in case.

I am not sure how I got the virus other than my computer illiterate husband probably clicked on the fake warning like the OP mentioned. He knows better now
I wasn't very happy!
edit on 10-3-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I've had this happen many times while browsing ATS. My guess would be it is coming though an Ad because it has popped up for me by just refreshing the webpage.

It would seem with this many people experiencing it, ATS would look into it.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Ted,

I'm very careful what I click on and always avoid placing my mouse over things because this can launch malicious stuff as well. I got a U2U message pop up about new mail would you like to read it now standard stuff and when I put my cursor over the pop up and selected read now as soon as I hit that button all hell broke loose. I was able to break off from the attack but am still undergoing a clean now looking for remanants. This thing took me down big time. Was a pretty good attempt. Not sure I'm in the clear as of yet.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by johngtr

Thanks for the advice....

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Excellent post darryllyn. This is one effective way to get rid of pesky fake anti-virus programs. Computers are my living, and this is one of the methods I use depending on the infection. Star for you maam.

ETA: There are many different rogue anti-virus programs out there with different names. But from what I've been able to find out the last few years, most of them come from just a few programmers. And I think at least one of them is possibly in Romania.

edit on 10-3-2011 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

This sounds like it might actually be a browser plug in issue.

Have a look at which ones you have activated, disable some and see if it makes any difference.

Might not be of course but I have had a few similar problems with plug-ins in the past crashing the browser and in some cases causing a false positive with certain virus checkers.

Ive been on this site for three years now as a member and ive never had one single virus from it. I use Comodo.

edit on 10-3-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by jessemole

Same here.. Had to give the correct exit alot of thought, It was a moment... seen it last year... hit the incorrect reply...
Well $125.00 later all good.

Please ATS.. Realize this and remove this threat...

Jesse

lol, wow..
micro$oft has you right where they want you.

Wake up people! lol

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Yeah, this site has the occasional virus in it. I got slammed last year with a Blaster worm from a link to an off-site image. Took forever to clean it out.

Kids.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

thanks for the post, had the same messages, so i just hit the del on them both, this has happened to me before the AVG, but i do a lot of web surfing, and can not say this site is where it came from. again thanks for the heads up, one thought ever sense the GOV has been pocking around there seems to more of this AVG, could it be ALL Vengeful GOV? just a thought.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

[color=deepskyblue]
Thank you, Sir

I have a really good computer guy (He has my laptop now actually. Bad fan, bad charger port. I am browsing off an old dell desktop at the moment!) but I didn't want to spend the money to fix something that I was sure I would be able to figure out on my own. I have forwarded that same advice to a few friends and it worked for them as well.
edit on 10-3-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I suspect no comment from ats as it came from them directly from what I can determine thus far.

Not accusing ATS directly but it came from someone who has the ability to ebed this crap and it was one of there keys which trigger the breach yes breach.

They got in but the door closed on them. Now it is just cleaning them out and backtracking the point of entry.

They accessed some files and tried to load encyption on something which was already encrypted.

Hello.....

I see you as well mofo

Good Bye

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Heckren

[color=deepskyblue]
Adblockers are in violation of the T&C.

Just wanted to give a heads up.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn