It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deer just now rutting in Missouri?.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Here in Pa., USA, the rut usually starts anywere from Mid-Septmeber until almost end of Novemeber, dpending on the climate. Most buck should have shed their antlers by now. It is possible that there are a few still with antlers, but no many. Seems highly odd to still be rutting, but on occasion I have seen some late newborns running around here, rare. And from the original post, they do not lose there antlers in November.
edit on 10-3-2011 by mugger because: add

My brother has hunted Colorado for Elk and mule deer, there rut can be anywhere from August to November also.
Rutting now would be unusual.
edit on 10-3-2011 by mugger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Ok, so I just got off the phone with my buddy. He was surprised that I had heard of this in Florida, and he said that he was concerned about it himself.

He told me that on Tuesday of this week he was in Parsons, KS (just across the KS/MO line in SE Kansas), and he saw a buck with a large rack of antlers. This was somewhat of a surprise, but not entirely unheard of, but then he saw the buck take off and chase a doe. He says he has never seen a buck chasing a doe this time of year in his whole hunting career.

So, take it for what it is worth, but it appears the OP is a widespread occurence in the area, and it is a rare phenomenon, so it may be cause for concern!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thanks for validating my/his concerns.
If it is indeed rare then my next mission is to find out HOW rare.
What are the possible side affects of this if any?
What could be the cause?
and on and on we go.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Bucks have antlers throughout spring, summer, and most of the winter, but shed them sometime between January and April

www.buckmanager.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Come to think about it.........I was driving over to Springfield last week and I noticed a buck in the corner of a field that had its antlers........
..........I didn't think much about it until now........

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky

Bucks have antlers throughout spring, summer, and most of the winter, but shed them sometime between January and April

www.buckmanager.com...

Woops, you forgot this part.

(depending upon the animal and latitude),

link

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
My father just got home, and I thought it might help to have his opinion straight from him, so I asked him about this. First of all, he's been hunting for about 40 years. And, I know we're not exactly near Missouri, but I figured the information might be appreciated.

He did confirm that the deer around here rut in November as well, and he's never seen or heard of any different. He hasn't been in the woods to hunt for a while, though, so he doesn't know if they've started early here too or not, but, like I said, he's never seen them rut this early.
I'd like to track down someone who has been watching the deer here lately, to see what they say. It would be interesting if this wasn't just isolated to the Missouri/Kansas area.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Is it rutting EARLY or late?
I know when I buy my wife roses on Feb 15th she will say it's LATE!
but I will say it's just early for next year.lol.

Like I said, the buck still have their antlers which indicates to me that it is late,
but, what do i know.

Thanks for asking your dad for me though.
That is yet another confirmation that this is NOT normal.

edit on 10-3-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I was considering it early just because it's earlier in the (human) year, but it's hard to say, I suppose. If they mated last November as well, I guess it would be early, if they're doing it again now. Did anyone see deer rutting in the fall?

ETA: dad just said that he's been seeing deer out around, like by the road and whatnot, which he says is strange for this time of year. That might be an indication that things aren't exactly normal here, either.
edit on 10-3-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by OatDelphi
reply to post by Screwed

Although I had not heard this yet, it's really not that surprising... Birds, fish, horses, dolphins etc dying around the world. All the planets are warming up while scientists are crying out about superstorms. Just add this to everything else.

Hell I have had daff-o-dills and suprise lillies showing in my yard since the last week of February and the trees have alreaded budded. I watched snow in direct sunlight melt in -10* temps. I even read a report on another persons blog claiming that Robin's had already began laying their little blue eggs in January.

The only thing that is for certain anymore, is that nature is all out of whack.
edit on 10-3-2011 by OatDelphi because: (no reason given)

I vaguely remember an old (German?) prophecy that talks about a third world war and something from the sky and three days of darkness. It says the warning sign is if it's an unusually early spring.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

OP, you should try contacting the local department of fish and game. These are the guys that really know what is going on. If deer are rutting this early in the year, these guys have already seen it and probably have an answer for it.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I was born and raised in the Ozarks and have hunted my entire life. Do these Bucks have velvet? A rutting buck will shed the velvet off its antlers. He will also make rubs and scrapes in his territory. A rutting buck will also have a swollen neck.

This time of the year bucks especially the young guys are on the move. They leave the area in which they were born...I suppose this is natures way of preventing inbreeding. Does fight over food so I don't see why a Buck wouldn't chase a Doe off over food. It would be helpful to see what the body language of the Buck was while he was chasing the Doe.

Also note that up here in the hills I've heard stories of "Freak Horns". These are Bucks are usually castrated by some means and he never sheds the velvet from his horns.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

I have land in the Ozarks in Northern Arkansas. I was in the area yesterday and checked my game cameras. The Bucks in my pics do not appear to be rutting. They are herded together so this tells me that they are not rutting on my farm.
edit on 10-3-2011 by derek_m24 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Contact info for the Missouri Department of Conservation Fish and Wildlife.

I will call the Ozark Regional Office on my next break. Anybody else want to call the SE or SW Regional offices? There is nothing on their website about it that I could see.

Ozark Regional Office
551 Joe Jones Blvd.
West Plains, MO, 65775
Phone: (417) 256-7161
Fax: (417) 256-0429

Southeast Regional Office
2302 County Park Dr.
Cape Girardeau, MO, 63701
Phone: (573) 290-5730
Fax: (573) 290-5736

Southwest Regional Office
2630 N. Mayfair
Springfield, MO, 65803
Phone: (417) 895-6880
Fax: (417) 895-6910

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I am north of St. Louis and the lack of deer scares me. Usually we have a herd move through daily, with some lone bucks wandering. This winter, saw a group of 3-2 does and a young buck only three times, on the usual deer route. This is odd.
Also seeing coyotes often, including one really mangy one. Usually those don't survive the winter. The rest have beautiful coats.

<< 1   >>

join