It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apparently, the end of America begins in Michigan!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
So, if I understand this correctly, our democratically elected officials can be tossed out by a single person. One person that can pick and choose officals at his own will. Dosent that ring a few alarm bells thinking back into history?

If 99.9999% of everyone disagrees with something, this single guy can say "Hey its my choice, all of you dont matter"....

Whats the word im looking for here? Hmmm.....

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Toss out, but not choose replacements.
The empty seats have to be filled by official methods. AKA, election to office.

And that is only if the town/city is financially insolvent. AKA, bankrupt.

So, if you don’t want to risk being thrown out by the cleaning crew, then don’t run your city/town, into the red. If you keep it afloat, then no one can bug you.

It is that simple!!!!
edit on 10-3-2011 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by FriedrichNeecher
Union corruption directly killed Michigan, and union corruption lead to chronic quality problems, irresponsible benefits demands, lack of responsibility and labor unrest that produced the rise of offshoring of manufacturing championed by the Dems.
The planes out of gas, the wings have fallen off, and you can argue all you want if you prefer a republican or democrat pilot as we plunge to earth from the stratoshpere,
All you can do now is find a kindred spirit and cuddle up and hope for the best prior to impact
edit on 10-3-2011 by FriedrichNeecher because: hot blooded (check it and see)

I suggest you look through your history book and remember what unions did for this country. Also what you describe only sounds like the UAW, their only a fraction of what is union.

didn't the auto companies agree to the benefits? it was the union fault for outsourcing? had nothing to do with NAFTA?

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

I am no Rachel Maddow fan and often I find she distorts the truth beyond belief. But I ran across this today, and even if half of what she says is true, this country really is done.

What a PATHETIC political system.

Great, because I just so happen to live in Michigan. And she is definitely right. The state is in ruins, and it's more-or-less a dog-annihilate-dog world. The new governor is trying to impose new taxes on us even though one of his campaign promises included no new taxes. He's a millionaire who has it in his mind that by shoving mathematics and science down my generation's throat, he'll be able to revive this decaying state. What he doesn't realize is that we don't need math and science, we need innovation and creativity to re-structure the old economy. And I don't know if the rest of the kids are like this, but the ones in my school won't do anything unless it can be done within the span of five minutes.

That being said, we have potential. But instead of going beyond full capacity, we choose to ignore it.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Michigander here, and pretty much every single person i know is against this. There's already a petition being passed around for the recall of our boy Ricky here. I for one am completely and totally on board with hoisting his butt out of office. My chief concern right now is actually finding this bill so that I can delve much deeper into the actual language used in the bill. Anyone happen to know where I could find that??? I would be extremely grateful!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I don't see what the big deal is...just another anti-union bill. And it's not like its this guys fault our country has been ravaged by unions. Someones gotta clean up the mess...

BTW I can't stand watching Rachel Maddow for more than 20 seconds...I get dizzy from all the spin.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

What is happening here is essentially the same thing the Obama administration has been doing since he took office; finding ways to skirt the constitution and proper legislation to impose his will on the people. This is equivalent to having a vote to null and void the state constitution.

However, I am somewhat torn on this issue. I believe unions played a major role in putting Michigan where they are now. Even as the auto industry was fatally wounded and dying a slow death, the unions still wanted more, more more. When they were laid off they went into labor pools. Between what unemployment paid and what the auto makers continued to pay, they were making 80% of their base wage...all the while being laid off. This situation is the same; Detroit is in deep doo doo but the unions don't want to give anything up to save the ship. They want to have the power to run it into the ground. Then, when the budget is exhausted and there's nothing left to pay them, they'll all cry about not having jobs. I see this as a desperate attempt to salvage what's left of Michigan. If they let the union thugs run Detroit completely into the ground, that will be another huge nail in the coffin that is the Michigan economy. But, again, union employees don't care; it's all about them.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FriedrichNeecher
Union corruption directly killed Michigan, and union corruption lead to chronic quality problems, irresponsible benefits demands, lack of responsibility and labor unrest that produced the rise of offshoring of manufacturing championed by the Dems.
The planes out of gas, the wings have fallen off, and you can argue all you want if you prefer a republican or democrat pilot as we plunge to earth from the stratoshpere,
All you can do now is find a kindred spirit and cuddle up and hope for the best prior to impact
edit on 10-3-2011 by FriedrichNeecher because: hot blooded (check it and see)

I couldn't have said it better myself. Unfortunately most people (Rachel Maddow) are too ignorant to realize what's REALLY happening and why bills like these have to be brought up. Please people don't get your news from this lady.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mpriebe81

I've found a few articles on the bill (I'm assuming you're talking about the infamous tax bill, if not then ignore this reply). But I can't really find an article using quotes from the bill itself, you can try looking but I don't think they post stuff like that on the web.

www.freep.com...

The article below is a really good one.
detnews.com...

If I find anymore, I will post them.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I am no liberal. I think my post history sufficiently establishes that.

But no amount of Maddow or union evil justifies the wholesale disposal of our founding principles. It's disgraceful and I find that just as repugnant!

Obviously, nearly EVERYONE has gone nuts.

Go ahead and secure our move to full-fledged Banana Republic status... We obviously want that form of governance very badly.

:shk:

edit on 10-3-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
This is what happens during bankruptcy folks, they are trying to start fresh

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by FriedrichNeecher

You clearly know nothing about either unions or michigan...
Read a book.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

How come I don’t see anything wrong with it?
I believe that's because you're an idiot.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I don't care who you are, if you start grabbing/consolidating power, you're not doing the job you were elected to do - serving the people. it looks like Michigan Neocons are doing the same thing that Bush/Obama have been doing at the federal level.

It's becoming more and more apparent why the Tea Party is so huge. It's crap like this that drives people from their political parties when they discover that they've been sold out - on BOTH sides of the aisle.

Ammo up, people. The revolution is nigh.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I honestly don't know if the current Supreme Court would overturn this law, especially if the version of the law that allows the Governor to appoint corporations to run these municipalities turns out to be the final one. They are so corporatist (at least 4 of the Conservatives are and Kennedy may or may not side with them...we'll see), that they may just favor this sort of thing.

I am quite certain this will be struck down in lower courts, but if it wends its way up to the Supreme Court, I have only a faint hope that it will be finally overturned.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
The constitution doesn’t dictate how the state manages it’s self. In fact, the constitution would support the bill because it would fall under state’s rights.

You are wrong, actually the Constitution DOES dictate how the state manages itself:

Article IV - The States

Section 4 - Republican government

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence.

This law totally destroys any form of republican government at the state level. It allows a Governor to appoint people who can dismiss any local legislator who does not agree with his political point of views. It's completely anti-republican.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
Toss out, but not choose replacements.
The empty seats have to be filled by official methods. AKA, election to office.

And that is only if the town/city is financially insolvent. AKA, bankrupt.

So, if you don’t want to risk being thrown out by the cleaning crew, then don’t run your city/town, into the red. If you keep it afloat, then no one can bug you.

It is that simple!!!!

i live in a vary nice town in michigan that is doing pretty well but in the paper today it outlined the cut to the school system in my town from his tax cut and it seems gov snyder can cut spending to put citys in financial tormoil then take them over even when thay were ran great in the first place. he has all the power! the cities like mine that are doing good would probaly be a better city to get a hold of for more power money wealth ,, just rrrrr!!!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Everyone should watch this episode. It was very good and informative. This is what I've been trying to say for a while now. Republicans are overreaching. They think this past election cycle gave them the green light to do whatever they want, all while saying it's good for the economy. Hey! Be careful what you vote for!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
snyder will have the power to make the books look bad even if thay are not just to take them over and say this is how it is now. my kids know more right from rong than what thay are pulling it is so vary sickning!!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
So if the supposed logic here is that these elected officials did such a terrible job managing their budgets that they should be thrown out by one person who makes the call, why can't the people throw out anyone they see fit? Why do we have to jump through flaming hoops and over shark infested waters to get rid of elected officials who do even worse than mismanagement and just plain go corrupt?

This is ridiculous!!

There is some sort of systematic agenda going on here. Its like all the republican governors got together to figure out how best to screw the middle class while keeping the bank accounts of the wealthy stuffed with money they should be paying in taxes.

They have successfully managed to turn all rage AWAY from corporations/wall street and toward unions? All of a sudden unions are the reason our country is headed to heck in a hand basket? You people honestly think that by disbanding unions, all our problems will magically go away? No! The only thing getting rid of unions accomplishes is paving the way for corporations to gain even more profit, hire even cheaper labor, and send even more jobs overseas.

But go ahead, keep supporting these bastards. I can't wait for the amnesia to set in when you're scratching your head wondering how we went from a bad economy to an even sh###ier one. Cuz you all seem to have forgotten about when they convinced us giving them tax beaks would mean we would all somehow be billionaires, too! When they convinced us that we needed to deregulate to keep the cash and the jobs flowing. Now people are jobless, homeless, and penniless and it's all the unions fault? You guys are gullible.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join