It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apparently, the end of America begins in Michigan!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+39 more 
posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I am no Rachel Maddow fan and often I find she distorts the truth beyond belief. But I ran across this today, and even if half of what she says is true, this country really is done.

What a PATHETIC political system.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
This is so screwed, I live in Michigan. I can't believe this is happening. While I didn't vote, I knew for sure that Rick Snyder was gonna win, because we had eight horrible years with a democrat...Jen-Jen Granholm, who was a terrible governer. I hope the public here will stand with me against that, if they really try and use it.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
MORE:

Michigan Senate passes emergency manager bills

A day after facing hundreds of rowdy, pro-union protesters that filled the state Capitol, the Senate voted on Wednesday to grant broad new powers to emergency managers who oversee financially struggling cities and schools, including the authority to void union contracts and remove elected officials.

The controversial bills are expected to head to Gov. Rick Snyder’s desk for signature shortly, after the House and Senate, both controlled by Republicans, work out some language differences.

The Senate passed the main bill in the package by a 26-12 party-line vote, drawing an immediate rebuke from union leaders across the state, who called it an assault on collective bargaining rights. In the Macomb County delegation, Republican Sens. Jack Brandenburg of Harrison Township and Tory Rocca of Sterling Heights supported the measure, while Democratic Sen. Steve Bieda of Warren was opposed.

“...the powers this legislation would transfer to an emergency manager. Removing elected officials and overturning local ordinances shows no respect for the will or the rights of the voters. This draconian measure gives authority to an individual with no responsibility to the citizens of the community,” ...

Guess it's true...

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

isn't it possible that this is just Republican bashing by the extreme left? This is portrayed as a proposed measure. Meaning it hasn't been voted on or enacted yet. I think a bit more verification is needed before panic should set in.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
WTF??? I'm going to have to look into this. I voted for this man dammit! I know we have some SERIOUSLY corrupt mayors and such, just look at Detroit, but this, if true, is scary.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Originally posted by network dude
isn't it possible that this is just Republican bashing by the extreme left? This is portrayed as a proposed measure. Meaning it hasn't been voted on or enacted yet. I think a bit more verification is needed before panic should set in.

Apparently you did not read the article I posted above...

A day after facing hundreds of rowdy, pro-union protesters that filled the state Capitol, the Senate voted on Wednesday to grant broad new powers to emergency managers who oversee financially struggling cities and schools, including the authority to void union contracts and remove elected officials.

The controversial bills are expected to head to Gov. Rick Snyder’s desk for signature shortly, after the House and Senate, both controlled by Republicans, work out some language differences.

Incidentally, I assume you are clear that I am no leftie...

edit on 10-3-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Union corruption directly killed Michigan, and union corruption lead to chronic quality problems, irresponsible benefits demands, lack of responsibility and labor unrest that produced the rise of offshoring of manufacturing championed by the Dems.
The planes out of gas, the wings have fallen off, and you can argue all you want if you prefer a republican or democrat pilot as we plunge to earth from the stratoshpere,
All you can do now is find a kindred spirit and cuddle up and hope for the best prior to impact
edit on 10-3-2011 by FriedrichNeecher because: hot blooded (check it and see)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Well there goes your freedom, right to vote etc, etc.
Michigan starts and I am curious who will be next.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ReVoLuTiOn76

LOL "The Mole" as she was referred to by one Lansing radio station DJ, although that got him into trouble with her hubby when they met face to face.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I have to agree with you loam about rachael, and yes she is onto something here. Amazes me how chaos out of order for this 2 party one head system. I wonder if this will go to the supreme court as this agenda would overule fletcher v Peck back in 1810.

Never pass up a good crisis without future nazi style litigation i say

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by FriedrichNeecher

Absolutely!!!!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by FriedrichNeecher

The planes out of gas, the wings have fallen off, and you can argue all you want if you prefer a republican or democrat pilot as we plunge to earth from the stratoshpere,

A star for a very good analogy.

Might want to include a blanket for that cuddle up that followed....

Next winter could be the really bad one.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Awesome post loam!

This is beyond unbelievable. Are we, as a nation, truly going to go back to having fiefdoms?

Words cannot express how discouraging and flat-out wrong this is. I wonder how many people in Michigan are fully aware of this bill and its implications.

Simply stunned.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by allprowolfy

No kidding.

There was a time I would have said such legislation would be resoundingly defeated by the Judiciary. I am no longer certain of such things.

It seems we are deluding ourselves into believing one thing about our nation, while clearly doing another.

The fact ANY American could find such legislation appropriate is breathtaking.

We are loosing our Republic because we no longer recognize the face of freedom...

edit on 10-3-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I remembered seeing this (I posted below) awhile ago and dismissed it. Don't know why but it is ringing loud and clear after your post. Thanks for the post OP!

I had links to all the maps and regions that were posted on Govt. sites including the White House but found today that all the links have been killed!

Here's what I found:

American Republic replaced by “Council of Governors”?
By Judi McLeod Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Quietly—even stealthily—in the opening days of the New Year, President Barack Obama has set up a “Council of Governors”.
Like the 30-plus czars running America with neither the people’s nor the congress’s blessings, the Council of Governors is already a done deal.
“Is this a first step towards Martial Law, or a tie to the InterPol, RAND National Police Force stuff we’ve been hearing about,” asked a Texas patriot who tipped off Canada Free Press (CFP) after finding news of the new Council of Governors on Twitter. “Is this a sort of Homeland Security Politburo?
“I do know it’s another sleuth order executed without any announcement, OR EXPLANATION to the People.”
Patriots know by now that the promised Obama “transparency” is a fog.
Checking the Net on the Council of Governors, CFP found other than a few blogs only UPI.com had the story as of this morning:
“President Barack Obama Monday established a panel of state governors to collaborate with Washington on a variety of potential emergencies, the White House said.” (UPI.com, Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:54 p.m.). “Obama signed an executive order establishing a panel to be known as the Council of Governors, which will be made up of 10 state governors, to be selected by the president to serve two-year terms. Members will review matters involving the National Guard; homeland defense; civil support; and synchronization and integration of state and federal military activities in the United States, the White House said in a statement.
“The statement said the White House would seek input from governors and governors’ association (sic) in deciding which governors to appoint to the council, which will have no more than five governors from the same party.
“The secretaries of defense and homeland security will also sit on the council, as will presidential assistants for homeland security and counter-terrorism, intergovernmental affairs, the U.S. Northern Command commander, the commander of the East Coast Guard, and the chief of the National Guard Bureau.
“The panel was set up under a provision of the Fiscal Year 2008 National Defense Authorization Act, the White House said.”
There was no timestamp on the latest Emergency Order from Whitehouse.gov, which readers can see below.
The Obama administration seems to be conducting the business of America under cover of the dark.
EXECUTIVE ORDER
ESTABLISHMENT OF THE COUNCIL OF GOVERNORS
By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America,including section 1822 of the National Defense Authorization Act of 2008 (Public Law 110-181), and in order to strengthen further the partnership between the Federal Government and State governments to protect our Nation and its people and property, it is hereby ordered as follows:
Section 1. Council of Governors.
(a) There is established a Council of Governors (Council).The Council shall consist of 10 State Governors appointed by the President (Members), of whom no more than five shall be of the same political party. The term of service for each Member appointed to serve on the Council shall be 2 years, but a Member may be reappointed for additional terms.
(b) The President shall designate two Members, who shall not be members of the same political party, to serve as Co-Chairs of the Council.

Sec. 2. Functions. The Council shall meet at the call of the Secretary of Defense or the Co-Chairs of the Council to exchange views, information, or advice with the Secretary of Defense; the Secretary of Homeland Security; the Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counter-terrorism; the Assistant to the President for Intergovernmental Affairs and Public Engagement; the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Homeland Defense and Americas’ Security Affairs; the Commander,United States Northern Command; the Chief, National Guard Bureau; the Commandant of the Coast Guard; and other appropriate officials of the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Defense, and appropriate officials of other executive departments or agencies as may be designated by the Secretary of Defense or the Secretary of Homeland Security.Such views, information, or advice shall concern:
(a) matters involving the National Guard of the various States;
(b) homeland defense;
(c) civil support;
(d) synchronization and integration of State and Federal military activities in the United States; and
(e) other matters of mutual interest pertaining to National Guard, homeland defense, and civil support activities.
Sec. 3. Administration.
(a) The Secretary of Defense shall designate an Executive Director to coordinate the work of the Council.
(b) Members shall serve without compensation for their work on the Council. However, Members shall be allowed travel expenses, including per diem in lieu of subsistence, as authorized by law.
(c) Upon the joint request of the Co-Chairs of the Council, the Secretary of Defense shall, to the extent permitted by law and subject to the availability of appropriations, provide the Council with administrative support,assignment or detail of personnel, and information as may be necessary for the performance of the Council’s functions.
(d) The Council may establish subcommittees of the Council. These subcommittees shall consist exclusively of Members of the Council and any designated employees of a Member with authority to act on the Member’s behalf, as appropriate to aid the Council in carrying out its functions under this order.
(e) The Council may establish a charter that is consistent with the terms of this order to refine further its purpose,scope, and objectives and to allocate duties, as appropriate,among members.
Sec. 4. Definitions. As used in this order:
(a) the term “State” has the meaning provided in paragraph (15) of section 2 of the Homeland Security Act of 2002(6 U.S.C. 101(15)); and
(b) the term “Governor” has the meaning provided in paragraph (5) of section 102 of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 5122(5)).
Sec. 5. General Provisions.
(a) Nothing in this order shall be construed to impair or otherwise affect:
- (1) the authority granted by law to a department, agency, or the head thereof; or
- (2) functions of the Director of the Office of Management and Budget relating to budgetary,administrative, or legislative proposals.
(b) This order shall be implemented consistent with applicable law and subject to the availability of appropriations.
(c) This order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.
BARACK OBAMA
THE WHITE HOUSE,January 11, 2010

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Loam I am with you. Rachel is NOT my fav broadcaster by any means. But like a stopped clock, it's right twice a day.

The SOB elected here in Florida, Rick Scot crook and billionaire, has already done this - dismissing several ELECTED county supervisors in Hardee County.

We are going to have to stage an uprising; these bastards think they can do what they want, when they want it. I have NEVER heard of such an action before.

If I was running the old Doomsday Clock, I'd place us about thirty-seconds before midnight.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
And by the way: Florida Dept of Law Enforcement - kiss my veteran ass if you are watching.

Starred and flagged!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Just read a short editorial in the Detroit Free Press that gives a good broadside.

www.freep.com...

Man, how I love the political cartoon at the top.

Cheers!
edit on 10-3-2011 by Hessling because: fix link

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Ya know, if the ruling class had excersized their duty appropriately this would not have been needed and the state would be self sustaining. But the legal class has strip mined the language and the money and created chaos and either very strong medicine is needed just for the possibility of success or it all goes in flames. THe issue is not the law, it's the integrity of the operator.
In Michigan, 'Integrity' can be found next to 'Ictheosaur', and regarded seriously and used just as often

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Disgusting on so many levels. People are pissed off and rightly so. Billionaires have gone too far.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join