It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free breast enlargement and liposuction for soldiers.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I was watching MSNBC just now and they had a story on there about a perk for soldiers and the families of soldiers that I had not heard of before.

Free cometic surgery.

New Yorker

“Anyone wearing a uniform is eligible,” Dr. Bob Lyons, the chief of plastic surgery at Brooke Army Medical Center, said recently, in his office in San Antonio. It is true: personnel in all four branches of the military and members of their immediate families can get face-lifts, nose jobs, breast enlargements, liposuction, or any other kind of elective cosmetic alteration, at taxpayer expense.

According to the Army, between 2000 and 2003 its doctors performed four hundred and ninety-six breast enlargements and a thousand three hundred and sixty-one liposuction surgeries on soldiers and their dependents. In the first three months of 2004, it performed sixty breast enhancements and two hundred and thirty-one liposuctions.

I can understand free reconstructive surgery and basic medical care but liposuction and breast enlargement seems a little much.

[edit on 19-7-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Just a minute, I was a military dependant for 22 years and I never got the choice of selective sirgury for free.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
The Army had a program to remove tattoos for free, I think it originated from people having offensive tattoos (neo-nazi, for example) and tattoos on thier forearms, which used to disqualify you from the Army because you could see them wearing a short sleeve uniform, and it wasn't 'military' looking. I was at Ft. Hood, TX at the time I heard of it, this was around 2001. I wanted to remove the a tattoo that was on my bicep, a skull (yes, I was young once). I was prepared to make-up an excuse, saying it was some extremist group symbol, but the hospital didn't even ask, they said I could have it removed. Unfortunately, the process takes several months, and several visits, and since I was on orders to Korea again, I had to wait. I get to Korea, and they say they don't do it there. So, 2003, I'm back in the states, at Ft. Bragg, NC, and they say the Army has stopped the removing tattoos program! Man, I was so upset! I can't get a tattoo removed but someone can have plastic surgery?

I thought all of that before I read the article, maybe it is for a good cause.

The Army’s rationale is that, as a spokeswoman said, “the surgeons have to have someone to practice on.” “The benefit of offering elective cosmetic surgery to soldiers is more for the surgeon than for the patient,” Lyons said. “If there’s a happy soldier or sailor at the end of that operation, that’s an added benefit, but that’s not the reason we do it. We do it to maintain our skills”—skills that are critical, he added, when it comes to doing reconstructive surgery on soldiers who have been wounded.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Certain perks I understand and support-tax dead line extending, medical, blah, blah, blah- But elective surgery? Unless the liposuction was needed for health/medical reasons, or to allow a member of the armed services to perform his/her duties better, please! Go ahead; tell me how a female soldier getting breast enlargement will help her be a more effective killer. As for the relatives, same applies, if done for health/safety reason-ok, just like insurance coverage, but purely optional-why should the tax payers pay for that. I do have a thought as to why we are doing it. We are having a hard time keeping people in the army and even forcing them to stay past their time. This looks like a perk to get/keep our trained soldiers. The Army’s rationale is that, as a spokeswoman said, “The surgeons have to have someone to practice on.” Doesn’t that just make you feel secure about your doctor?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   

TextThe Army had a program to remove tattoos for free

Yes I was aware of this meet some young Marine women that had or were going to this type of procedure, and it takes many treatments to get them out and the skin area of the tattoo with never be even color, especially on large area tattoos.

[Edited on 20-7-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I have a REAL problem with my tax dollars being used so Sgt. Barbie can have better breasts and a smaller waist and Corp. Ken can have those washboard abs because he had fat removed from that area.

There are people here who hav NO health insurance. This is just plain wrong, wrong, wrong.

(not that I think the government OWES anyone health insurance!!!!!!!!!)

[edit on 20-7-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
i dont think there is nothing wrong with having the benefit of free cosmetic/reconstructive surgery. After all, it is probably the least they can do knowing that we barely make minimun wage considering the hours we work, and what we have to go trhough to ensure safety and freedom to our fellow american citizens. On the subject of practice to perfect their skill, i can attest to that, as most medical doctor/dentist are in to get their experience and their licenses to then get out and perform in the civilian community

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
LoL I was planning to join the military and did not know about this perk but i also heard it on the news a day ago I have absolutely no need for this a guy does not need cosmetic surgery but my sister wasn't a
big fan of me going into the army but now she is so exited huh... I wander why

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Yeah like breast enhancements are nessacary to treat bullet wounds.
Hey maybe the wives won't complain as much.
Well its an interesting perk for risking your life.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I can see the headlines now..

WIFE RUNS OFF WITH OTHER MAN AFTER GETTING FREE BREAST IMPLANTS!!

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
About the only cosmetic surgery I remeber when I was in was reseting my nose when I broke it in a bar fight.

God, how the times have changed. The liposuction would be excellent though, for soldiers who have serious weight problems, which are alot of em.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I think that liposuction is the easy way out of obisiety. I'd rather go through exercise and eating right. That way you don't put the weight back on. Plus liposuction won't help your heart like the normal eat right exercise method. I've never had cosmetic surgery done, thank God I've never needed it.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Im in the military right now, and Its not true, my wife is going thru breast reduction at the moment, and the only reason the army will pay for it, is if it has to do with health problems, as for her, its back pain, its not considered cosmetic surgery, but corrective surgery, she was told they have to take out a certain weight out, if not, it comes out of pocket expenses instead of the armys bill. Hope this clears everything up.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Let's say a soldier gets disfigured in Iraq. Army doctors have to perform reconstructive surgery, maybe creating a breast after a female soldier lost it with a chest wound, or creating a face for a male soldier. Wound you want your doctor to never have been experienced at reconstructive surgery? Would you want to be his first time? Let the doctors get some experience in peace, so they can use these skills in war. A friend of mine had cancer, and was being treated at the VA hostipal. She told me of the story of a female soldier, with no legs, lost in Iraq, chasing her child as it ran down the hall. Let's get these soldiers the most experienced doctors we can.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I'm just not sure were enhancement and liposuction comes into play. Now I full support things such as redoing a face or legs. But liposuction

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Agreed. I can see reconstructive cosmetic surgery.

But liposuction and elective cosmetic surgery is an unnecessary and bogus burden on the taxpayers. Not even in your wildest dreams should this be allowed. Proper diet is a great cure for obesity and if you are that fat in the military, then something is wrong.
I can see it now, if the military--the government--is giving free breast enlargements, how soon will those on welfare think they are entitled, too. Oce the govt starts giving freebies, everyone wants in on the action

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
I think that liposuction is the easy way out of obisiety. I'd rather go through exercise and eating right. That way you don't put the weight back on. Plus liposuction won't help your heart like the normal eat right exercise method. I've never had cosmetic surgery done, thank God I've never needed it.

Who is saying that liposuction is easy. Hell even cosmetic surgery has its risks.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Heh read the article a day ago. A new method to get women to join the military while giving doctors practice. A little strange.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
how are bigger breast going to help fight in a war, if anything they will get in the way.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
You guys complaining do realise these people are dieing right this min for your freedom, and even in peace time work 12 hour days, "MOST" of the time. They are also expected to live exemplar lives unlike days of old. Even drinking one beer, and triping and breaking a nail can get you in massive trouble. So please lets not dam the guys fighting for your freedoms and perhaps your lives for getting a perk of any kind. In fact we should probably do much much much more. MUCH more.

Most of the time these type surgereis are for doctor training and personal mental health problems. Self Esteem issues which is a medical condition when it causes problems and thus can be legally done and payed for by tax payers.

[edit on 26-7-2004 by Xeven]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join