It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

high school student builds fusion reactor by himself!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I read a small thing on Wikipedia about a high school student that built his own fusion reactor. Does any one have more info on that? I Was actually looking up farnsworth and his work on fusion reactors.
edit on 10-3-2011 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Not sure but look up "radioactive boyscout" This guy used to come into my work daily.

Deebo

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

Was he really a drug addict, like some have said?

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Well like i said it was a small thing on Wikipedia that was primarily about the farnsworth fusion reactor developed in the 1960's. That high school guy who built his own fusion reactor got my attention. It was a small description of one of the photos on that Wikipedia article. I Wonder if he was ungraded to college after presenting that.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Ill look for the article but I know what you are talking about.

Also a kid in the 1990's builtt a nuclear reactor in his parents garage..

David Hahn - Wikipeadia - built nuclear reactor in parents garage

Several links for your Fusion part -
High school student builds fusion reactor
Detroit kid builds Fusion reactor
edit on 10-3-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Now that's interesting. Get two spherical electodes, put some deuterium gas into, and apply a potential of some KV, there we go D-D fusion. The problem seem to be to get enough output(and more than input) for it to be useful.

Looks like the idea is not so new: www.fusor.net...

And there are plenty of people building fusors: www.fusor.net...

Most promising seems to be the Polywell design(having a NAWC contract): en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Thats cool. My high school science fair (I won) project was a fusion engine for space travel; the thing no one can figure out with fusion is containment. So I figured since it can't be contained, vent it in a direction - fusion engine. I can't even remember half the math that took.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

I have seen some experimenting with Plasma fields on The Discovery channel some time back. The testing they were doing was all over the board in terms of application, but the one part that stuck out to me was the forcefield style. They talked about Star Trek, showing the scene from Star Trek 1st contact where Picard and Lilly were talking to each other in the jefferies tube while running from the borg.

When they stop and lilly learns shes on a starship, Picard opens the hatch and the forcefield snaps into place.
They were talking about manip-ulating plasma to create a type of forcefield. I wonder if they could use that along with the new Laser tractor beam experminets to create a containment field for fusion.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I figured out a way to use it, not contain it. It would be one of Heinlein's "Torch Ships"

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Oh yea? Then why isn't your fusion engine for space travel in use or predicted to be in use mydarkpassenger?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by paranormal78

Because I went into the Navy and then comp sci instead you genius.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Oh. I see. How was the navy? I Hear the navy has one of the TR3B recon planes. You know the flying triangle.

new topics

top topics

join