It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple Hundred Protest In Saudi Arabia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Article

Nearly 200 Shi'ites chanting 'We want freedom!' protested in Saudi Arabia's eastern province on Wednesday, even as the foreign minister warned that the oil-rich nation will take strong action if activists take to the streets.

Im not sure if this is supposed to be a predecessor to the "Day of Rage" thats supposed to be on Friday. 200 people is a very small number compared to what is happening in neighboring countries.

The gathering in Qatif by members of the country's Shi'ite Muslim minority is a smaller version of a planned 'Day of Rage' on Friday to demand the Saudi regime's ouster, inspired by the wave of uprisings in the Arab world.

Heres what the article says about the "Day of Rage"

A Facebook page calling for a 'Saudi Revolution 11 March' in Saudi Arabia has attracted close to 9000 fans. Messages posted on the page calls for protests on March 11 and 20 and urges people to gather in mosques across the country including Mecca and Riyadh. The page calls for the regime's ouster and lists demands including the election of a ruler and members of the advisory assembly known as the Shura Council.

9000 still seems a bit small, but it is just facebook. I would doubt everyone who will protest has their own facebook. I dont really know how big or small the March 11th protest will be, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Edit to add: Ive also heard that the "Day of Rage" may have been pushed back/cancelled, but im not sure yet.
edit on 10-3-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Also, the Philippine Embassy in Saudia Arabia issued an alert to their citizens currently in the country. Link

The Philippine Embassy in Riyadh advised Filipinos in Saudi Arabia to remain alert of their surroundings, avoid crowds, and unnecessary movement especially during the weekend and up to the end of the month.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Saudi royals will put an end to this real fast.
I'm afraid there will be bloodshed.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I think that they will to. They have warned over and over that they will forcefully stop the protests. If the Day of Rage brings in a very large amount of protesters, I would think that the situation may become alot worse than what is going on in Libya. Saudi Arabia has a lot stonger military than Libya.

top topics

join