It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Clinton Official Sandy Berger Removed Classified Papers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The AP has learned that Sandy Berger, Clinton's former national security advisor, removed some classified papers from a special reading room while preparing for 9-11 commission testimony. These papers dealt with terrorist activities in 1999... and it appears that handwritten notes Berger hah earlier added to the files were still missing.

The AP has also learned that a federal investigation is underway and that warranted agents have inspected Berger's house in an attempt to find either the missing docs or copies of the classified docs:
Paper's Taken

"Some drafts of a sensitive after-action report on the Clinton administration's handling of al-Qaida terror threats during the December 1999 millennium celebration are still missing.

Berger and his lawyer said Monday night he knowingly removed handwritten notes he had taken from classified anti-terror documents he reviewed at the National Archives by sticking them in his jacket and pants. He also inadvertently took copies of actual classified documents in a leather portfolio, they said. "

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 21-7-2004 by Banshee]

[edit on 7-22-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
And the quotes of the comments really sound fishy....I am not sure I would believe any politician's comments in defense, put into this type of context.

The FBI searched Berger's home and office with warrants earlier this year after employees of the National Archives told agents they believed they witnessed Berger put documents into his clothing while reviewing sensitive Clinton administration papers, officials said.

"In the course of reviewing over several days thousands of pages of documents on behalf of the Clinton administration in connection with requests by the Sept. 11 commission, I inadvertently took a few documents from the Archives," Berger said.

"When I was informed by the Archives that there were documents missing, I immediately returned everything I had except for a few document that I apparently had accidentally discarded," he said.

*edit to clearify my comment*

[edit on 19-7-2004 by smirkley]

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Lol, this MUST be some kinda republican conspiracy, there isn't any way a democrat could have done such a thing.

Ari Fleisher must have stuffed the classified docs in Berger's pants when he wasn't looking......

For those who don't understand.....this is sarcasm....

Further proof that it is time for an honest third party to get rid of the Demopublicans....

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
On a lighter note, this reminds me of the Fawn Hall incident... only when a hot girl stuffs secret documents into her panties it's a lot sexier than when a middle aged man shoves terror reports into his jockey shorts.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
CBS just put up a link to the story... this could become pretty big if these notes he 'acidentally' stuffed into his underoos are important:

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Now NBC is carrying the story, and their version makes it sound even fishier:

"...by sticking them in his jacket and pants. He also inadvertently took copies of actual classified documents in a leather portfolio, they said."
www.msnbc.msn.com...

I don't recall the photographing part in the other stories...

I checked a minute ago and it didn't look like ABC had this news up yet.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Question: How do you keep a liberal very quiet?

Answer: Post a bad story about Democrats with numerous, credible news sources and they scurry back in the shadows until the post disappears.......

Come on you conservatives, your chance to vent, let them Libs have it lol!

Disclaimer: Just some more sarcasm from an amused independent........

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Question: How do you keep a liberal very quiet?

Answer: Post a bad story about Democrats with numerous, credible news sources and they scurry back in the shadows until the post disappears.......

Come on you conservatives, your chance to vent, let them Libs have it lol!

Disclaimer: Just some more sarcasm from an amused independent........

It's interesting that you brought up the lib-conservative aspect... because this story broke over an hour ago and the NYTimes online has yet to post anything about it... though their story on Kerrry's lawyers worrying about Bush stealing the election gets updated every five seconds.

But... I don't want this to be a mud pit type thread. There was a set of classified documents. Some were removed illegally. Some are still missing. That's what makes this interesting, so far as I am concerned. When we find out what those notes were about... I wonder if parts of the 9-11 commission report will have to be tweaked...

PS: I also, like I said before, think the image of a grown man hiding papers in his clothes is hilarious.

[edit on 19-7-2004 by onlyinmydreams]

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
You are absolutely correct, I might suggest that you write this up as a news sumission since it is potentially a very important story. I will behave myself
but I just can't believe a story like this goes without comments....

(going to my room now)

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I don't know anything besides what I've read and linked to in those articles... so I can't 'write' an article about it. I do find it strange, however, that on a CONSPIRACY website only a few people are interested when a former (and possibly future) national security advisor accidentally takes highly classified documents from a secure archive, stuffs them in his pants, takes them home and makes copies, and then loses the docs that are rumoured to be highly critical of the Clinton administration. One would think that such a disclosure -- especially considering that Berger is advising Kerry -- would get some wheel's spinning around here.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

Further proof that it is time for an honest third party to get rid of the Demopublicans....

I agree this type of stuff should make people look good and hard at a vote for third party. Both Rep and Dem are more alike then ever and are at the same time drifting further away from the common man.

I thinks its time for a third party heck a fourth and fifth party aould be sweet.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I don't know what you are looking for onlyinmydreams. Clinton is crooked? I think every politician is crooked, unfortunately you have to be to get anything done. No matter whether you are a Republican or a Democrat, you cannot get far in US politics without wheeling and dealing. Selling your soul. If you want one thing, you're going have to do another. It's sad and pathetic on how the US system works, but there it is. What you have to filter through, while each party lines it's pockets with graft, is how America gets served. Every president is crooked, that's just the way it is. I'm sure both sides could trade anecdotes of high treason from every president. The bottom line is, while they are doing this, that, or the other thing, who is going to be best for America while all of that is going on? Clinton was a crook, but he did a pretty good job. Bush is a crook, and is doing a lousy job. Kerry will be a crook when he is elected, but he'll do a better job for us, while he is being a crook, like every other president. So when you vote, think which bastard is going to do the best for America. There are no innocents in American politics.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Why did he have access to the National Archives at all?
He shouldn't have had access to it since January 2000... It's not like a regular library where you or I can just go check out a book. Only currently serving U.S. elected officials and their staffs (President, Vice President, all 538 Congress members) are supposed to be allowed access in there...

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Whoa... Someone down with the holy Clinton posse might have done something wrong?

NO WAY!

This definitely smells of that 'vast right-wing conspiracy' thingy that Hillary is always mumbling about.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme Bush is a crook, and is doing a lousy job. Kerry will be a crook when he is elected, but he'll do a better job for us, while he is being a crook, like every other president.

And now the Clintonites will come out of the woodworks with their, "Hey! Every president is a scam artist, but we don't mind when it's a Democrat" rhetoric.

PLEASE.

When is the 9/11 commission going to declassify that 1998 al-Qaeda threat document???

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   
This CNN article doesn't mention anything about stuffing the documents in his pants--it sounds as if he mistakenly didn't return some of the classified documents he was reviewing in conjuction with the 9/11 commission questioning. What seems to be missing are drafts of memos written by Richard Clarke with handwritten edits by Sandy Berger regarding preparations for Millenium security. According to the article, the commission has the final drafts of the memos and Clarke has said that Bergers edits were minor.

However, this investigation has been ongoing for months and Berger has yet to be questioned. What is interesting is the timing of the leak of the confidential investigation to the news--three days before the 9/11 commission is to release the report. Sounds like someone is trying to make a feeble attempt to distract attention from the content of the report...

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by kramtronix
And now the Clintonites will come out of the woodworks with their, "Hey! Every president is a scam artist, but we don't mind when it's a Democrat" rhetoric.

PLEASE.

I agree 100%!

Originally posted by kramtronix
When is the 9/11 commission going to declassify that 1998 al-Qaeda threat document???

Maybe they can't now, if that's one of the documents that Berger stole, took home, put in a trash can, and burned...

BTW, Soundwave, which tape is your favorite? Laserbeak, Rumble, Ravage, Frenzy, or Ratbat?
Or maybe poor, overlooked Buzzsaw?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I'm sure it's all just a big misunderstanding.

Yeahhh, THAT's the ticket!

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThunderCloud BTW, Soundwave, which tape is your favorite? Laserbeak, Rumble, Ravage, Frenzy, or Ratbat?
Or maybe poor, overlooked Buzzsaw?

Ravage, of course!

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Now FOX news is carrying the story also about that 1998 December briefing that Clinton got was about osama planning to hijack American planes what does Clinton do nothing of course except have fun with his intern not to mention that Clinton had 3 chances to kill osama but he didn't wow what a nice president huh people

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join