It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old news is good news... except for the Luddites (environmentalists)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
So much for the other post that says we'll run out of oil before an alternative is found! With this info, why is there even a topic like this?

OIL - you better sit down... Here's an interesting read, important and verifiable information: About 6 months ago, the writer was watching a news program on oil and one of the Forbes Bros. was the guest. The host said to Forbes, "I am going to ask you a direct question and I would like a direct answer; how much oil does the U.S. have in the ground?" Forbes did not miss a beat, he said, "more than all the Middle East put together." Please read below. The U. S. Geological Service issued a report in April 2008 that only scientists and oil men knew was coming, but man was it big. It was a revised report (hadn't been updated since 1995) on how much oil was in this area of the western 2/3 of North Dakota, western South Dakota , and extreme eastern Montana.

bakkenshale.net...

The Bakken is the largest domestic oil discovery since Alaska 's Prudhoe Bay, and has the potential to eliminate all American dependence on foreign oil. The Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates it at 503 billion barrels. Even if just 10% of the oil is recoverable... at $107 a barrel, we're looking at a resource base worth more than $5.3 trillion. That's enough crude to fully fuel the American economy for 2041 years straight. "When I first briefed legislators on this, you could practically see their jaws hit the floor. They had no idea.." says Terry Johnson, the Montana Legislature's financial analyst. " This sizable find is now the highest-producing onshore oil field found in the past 56 years," reports The Pittsburgh Post Gazette.

It's a formation known as the Williston Basin, but is more commonly referred to as the 'Bakken.' It stretches from Northern Montana, through North Dakota and into Canada. For years, U. S. oil exploration has been considered a dead end. Even the 'Big Oil' companies gave up searching for major oil wells decades ago. However, a recent technological breakthrough has opened up the Bakken's massive reserves.... and we now have access of up to 500 billion barrels. And because this is light, sweet oil, those billions of barrels will cost Americans just $16 PER BARREL! And if THAT didn't throw you on the floor, then this next one should - because it's from 2006, and the research used more up to date methods of estimating underground reserves than the pevious post.

U. S. Oil Discovery- Largest Reserve in the World Stansberry Report Online - 4/20/2006

Hidden 1,000 feet beneath the surface of the Rocky Mountains lies the largest untapped oil reserve in the world. It is more than 2 TRILLION barrels. On August 8, 2005 President Bush mandated its extraction. In three and a half years of high oil prices none has been extracted. With this motherload of oil why are we still fighting over off-shore drilling? They reported this stunning news: We have more oil inside our borders, than all the other proven reserves on earth. Here are the official estimates: - 8-times as much oil as Saudi Arabia - 18-times as much oil as Iraq - 21-times as much oil as Kuwait - 22-times as much oil as Iran - 500-times as much oil as Yemen - and it's all right here in the Western United States. Because the environmentalists and others have blocked all efforts to help America become independent of foreign oil! Again, we are letting a small group of people dictate our lives and our economy.....WHY?

James Bartis, lead researcher with the study says we've got more oil in this very compact area than the entire Middle East -more than 2 TRILLION barrels untapped. That's more than all the proven oil reserves of crude oil in the world today, reports The Denver Post. Don't think 'OPEC' will drop its price - even with this find? Think again! It's all about the competitive marketplace, - it has to. Think OPEC just might be funding the environmentalists? Got your attention yet?

Just as in the mid 80's and during the 70's. all we have to do is threaten to start drilling, and the Middle East will lower their prices almost immediately. But there's so much available, we could be EXPORTING oil ourselves. Of course, as soon as the (democrat) governor of Colorado found this out, he put it off limits.

For those who are dead set against the oil (energy) companies, by all means, next time you or a loved one go to the hospital and require surgery, tell them you don't want anything used that is made from oil. Please!
edit on 9-3-2011 by zappafan1 because: Added Content

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
You mention $16 a barrel. You don't honestly think the oil companies (you know, the ones that pay so little in taxes and royalties?) will sell the oil to the American public for such a low cost, do you? Do you know why diesel is so expensive in the U.S.? Because we Export it... or rather, the oil companies, seeking the most profits for their products, finds shipping it overseas makes them enough money by sending it to Europe, and that they don't bother passing along savings to us despite diesel being cheaper to manufacture than gasoline. Remember one thing..... the oil is not an American resource, its simply IN America. The same goes for the shale and the natural gas. It belongs to the energy companies, with which they make huge profits and pay trifling amounts to the public coffers in return. Do they create jobs? Yes. Do they require machinery and manufacturing for the running of the operations? Yes, but while the supply may be much larger than people are generally aware of, it will still cost the public enough to continue the huge profits for the energy companies. That $16 barrel might be what it costs the energy companies, but to think they wont seek the highest price the market will bear is simply naive.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by zappafan1

Old news is good news... except for the Luddites (environmentalists),

Luddites opposed machinery and technology that would take away from their opportunity make a living through labor...

Other than that, I'd say start drillin' fools!..!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
well if it is true i can only think of two reasons not to extract it for now. pretend there is a shortage . as a one penny rise in oil is around a billion dollars. how much is taxed and how much is payed out bonuses to the ceo's and executives both sides of that coin stand to make a lot of money. secondly they might actually care and would rather conserve our resources for future generations and not burn threw it all with cheap commodities. and if you think if oil companies would giver it's customers a lower rate and the governments would allow the GDP to drop. besides as a society we really need to get off this cheap and profitable fuel and stop treating it like it is only here for us and only us to use and not to think of the future generations who need plastics, medicine , a lot of technology we have today is dependent of oil. and you wan to burn threw it because it is to expensive to drive a vehicle that belongs in the stone age.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Hey Zappafan! Good for you! Excellent post! I have been waiting for someone to address this matter here for some time. Especially with my rants and raves about the "Oil" situation as of late. What you have uncovered is true.
Yet, I propose to you that there are other sources of energy that have been restrained as well. This constraint,
and control for profit by the few,especially if it creates casualties for the many, is the subject of "Conspiracy"
that ATS members should really be addressing. Good one.....S&F

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jaxnmarko

Most states have mineral and non-mineral rights to that which is within their state boundaries. Many people within a given state might or might not have similar rights, depending on state and local laws, codes or ordinances. So your reply was without merit. Energy companies, like any companies, will usually sell to the highest bidder, but that is their option. Consider, though, that the energy companies get their permits/rights to drill from the local, state or federal governments, so I would think that would play a part in any decision of where all, or a portion, of the oil goes.

edit on 10-3-2011 by zappafan1 because: Added content

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
It hasn't been the environmentalists stopping us from tapping all that oil, it's been the oil companies and the US government.
Oil has been the world's reserve currency but traded through US dollars (petrodollars).
Someone is playing a strategic game with oil to destabilize foreign nations and strengthen our own position.
This does not mean that the PTB have any intention of letting Americans share in the rewards.
They intend to crash the US dollar so that they can garner even more wealth and power.
There is simply no other rational explanation.
This is the grand chessboard where plans are made for decades ahead and the US public are expendable pawns.
There will be cheap oil to be had, cheap for them to produce and then to sell to us at $200+ per barrel once our "peak oil crises" has reached full bloom.
Their greed knows no bounds and they're going to take all of us down, they don't care.
They can always sell it to China after they've busted us and the US dollar.
Can you say sneaky?
I knew that you could.

FZ for Prez!!
God I miss that man.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
It hasn't been the environmentalists stopping us from tapping all that oil, it's been the oil companies and the US government.
Oil has been the world's reserve currency but traded through US dollars (petrodollars).
Someone is playing a strategic game with oil to destabilize foreign nations and strengthen our own position.
This does not mean that the PTB have any intention of letting Americans share in the rewards.
They intend to crash the US dollar so that they can garner even more wealth and power.
There is simply no other rational explanation.
This is the grand chessboard where plans are made for decades ahead and the US public are expendable pawns.
There will be cheap oil to be had, cheap for them to produce and then to sell to us at $200+ per barrel once our "peak oil crises" has reached full bloom.
Their greed knows no bounds and they're going to take all of us down, they don't care.
They can always sell it to China after they've busted us and the US dollar.
Can you say sneaky?
I knew that you could.

FZ for Prez!!
God I miss that man.

REPLY: Yep... 'ol Frank is sorely missed. I first heard of him in 1965, and saw him perform three times. I have everything, and I mean EVERYTHING he ever did, including many interviews, except for his two last projects.

As for your post, I have to disagree with a couple of things. There are literally hundreds of lawsuits against those who want to build wind and solar farms. Also, against dozens of power plants that would like to upgrade their equipment to increase much-needed output, or gain efficiency by taking advantage of new technology. Curious... it was the enviro's who truly killed the first electric car. I'm surprised that more of them aren't screaming about them now, since they still run on coal or natural gas.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

I found this silly chain email in my workplace, attached to a USGS survey that it claimed to source (for some reason, the source is now the Energy Information Administration.) The chain Email you posted here claims trillions; the USGS claimed somewhere around a billion. Still not a small number, but substantially smaller than multiple trillions.

That's "if" the stuff is recoverable. Pretty big if. And that's even if the survey is accurate - it's probably not. Numbers are always inflated by oil surveyors. it's a form of speculation. You never know how much is there until you tap into it, and even then you can only make a rough guess.

Further, as other posters have pointed out, this oil, if it exists and if it can be tapped, will go into private companies, who will then sell it on the global market, at rates they choose. It will do jack-all for the US; especially without the refineries to process it, which each take several years to build.

Is it there? I dunno. Might be. No way to tell, really. hell, YOU might be sitting on trillions of barrels of oil. You'll never know. Unless you want to sell your property to an oil company who will take a sample, find nothing, and then just keep your property anyway (didn't you know? They're the prime collectors of real estate in the US, and sell the land at a high premium)

By the by, being aware of the costs of oil and the need for alternatives doesn't make one a luddite. Might I suggest learning the definitions of the words you use?
edit on 11/3/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

I found this silly chain email in my workplace, attached to a USGS survey that it claimed to source (for some reason, the source is now the Energy Information Administration.) The chain Email you posted here claims trillions; the USGS claimed somewhere around a billion. Still not a small number, but substantially smaller than multiple trillions.

That's "if" the stuff is recoverable. Pretty big if. And that's even if the survey is accurate - it's probably not. Numbers are always inflated by oil surveyors. it's a form of speculation. You never know how much is there until you tap into it, and even then you can only make a rough guess.

Further, as other posters have pointed out, this oil, if it exists and if it can be tapped, will go into private companies, who will then sell it on the global market, at rates they choose. It will do jack-all for the US; especially without the refineries to process it, which each take several years to build.

Is it there? I dunno. Might be. No way to tell, really. hell, YOU might be sitting on trillions of barrels of oil. You'll never know. Unless you want to sell your property to an oil company who will take a sample, find nothing, and then just keep your property anyway (didn't you know? They're the prime collectors of real estate in the US, and sell the land at a high premium)

By the by, being aware of the costs of oil and the need for alternatives doesn't make one a luddite. Might I suggest learning the definitions of the words you use?
edit on 11/3/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

REPLY: Well, you are entitled to your opinion. The landowners, depending on the laws of their state and/or communities, can lease the rights to whatever resource they have on or under their property, and make a profit, while at the same time providing something all of us use in one form or another.

It was brought to my attention through an email, but was vetted through other sources.Technologies in both exploration and recovery have improved more than you might be aware of. By the way, it's not the energy companies who buy or own more land than anyone; it's "our" government. America is the only industrialized nation not utilizing our own resources. It's time for the governors of various states to use eminent domain laws to tell the Fed. government to pound salt. The Fed. government does not own America and, in fact, there is no Constitutional right for the Fed. government to "own" land; as in many states there is no (state) constitutional authority to put off limits the means to production, but we let them get away with it. The land is the ultimate means of production.
edit on 12-3-2011 by zappafan1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

Old news is good news... except for the Luddites (environmentalists),

Luddites opposed machinery and technology that would take away from their opportunity make a living through labor...

Other than that, I'd say start drillin' fools!..!

I agree with you on the definition of Luddites, but there are those who would like us to live as we did back in the early 1800's and, for lack of a better term, I use Luddites. For what it's worth, the original Luddites were somewhat limited in their thinking. If we harvested corn the same way it was back then... about 100 man-hours per acre, the price of many products would cost an arm and a leg, if they were available at all. What they didn't realize is that there was no loss of the ability to earn a living through labor, as newer technologies free up labor to do other things.
edit on 12-3-2011 by zappafan1 because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: zappafan1

What is a Luddite?
edit on 9-6-2016 by RbotMurgolas because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join