It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-class solar flare blasts away from the Sun

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

X-class solar flare blasts away from the Sun

www.theweatherspace.com

(TheWeatherSpace.com) -- Earth orbiting instruments have detected an X-Class solar flare.

Less than an hour ago, Earth orbiting satellites detected an X1-class solar flare.

There are no reports yet on where it is coming from or if it is Earth directed. Sunspot 1166 is aimed directly at the planet and it could very well be this group that harbors a delta-class magnetic field, powerful enough for X-Class flares.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.youtube.com

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I saw this and searched....I didn't see another thread so mods move this please if necessary.

X-class solar flare...has anyone heard anything about whether it's going to hit us or not?

Also posting you tube vid....which I have to say was unimpressive...however...I have limited astronomical knowledge so maybe someone else can appreciate it.

www.theweatherspace.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
X1.5 to be exact. My thread beat you to it btw xD
edit on 9-3-2011 by thedeadwalkk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadwalkk

If only I could write my posts in less than 2 & 1/2 mins!!!
If only I weren't so distracted with my pretzels & beer!!!
Such is life...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
my power still works and there aren't people wondering around in the streets wandering whats up so...i am assuming this solar flare went in another direction or missed us completely...or earth was just like "MMMM SOLAR FLARE!! IT HURTS SO GOOD!! MMMM!!!"

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I gave you a star for looking at the second thread...good for you.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by XelNaga
my power still works and there aren't people wondering around in the streets wandering whats up so...i am assuming this solar flare went in another direction or missed us completely...or earth was just like "MMMM SOLAR FLARE!! IT HURTS SO GOOD!! MMMM!!!"

This is where your wrong. It can knock out radio's, shortwave radio, all kinds of things. not just electrical power grids

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
There was what appears to be a very minor CME associated with the flare.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
There was what appears to be a very minor CME associated with the flare.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

CME?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Theme song for the Sun, 2011:

...or perhaps more so for 2012...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Coronal Mass Ejection. Those are the things that can really cause problems on Earth.

People confuse them with solar flares. Though the two are usually associated with each other they are two different things.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Coronal Mass Ejection. Those are the things that can really cause problems on Earth.

People confuse them with solar flares. Though the two are usually associated with each other they are two different things.

Ah. So are those the things that can knock out electrical grids?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Yes.
That's what does it. Not the flares.
Flares can cause communication problems but other than that they really aren't noticeable on the surface of the Earth.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Yes.
That's what does it. Not the flares.
Flares can cause communication problems but other than that they really aren't noticeable on the surface of the Earth.

Thanks, I've been mis-informed for a very long time then D:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by XelNaga

Its takes 2-3 days to even hit us....Uggg I cant type no more.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by coldkidc

All of our power went off then came back on..never happened before unless a major storm so I checked and found your thread..Ca/Or border North coast, about 15 mins ago.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

There's no significant solar activity at the moment.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by coldkidc

A huge mass of electrically-charged particles thrown out by a gigantic eruption on the Sun is due to strike the Earth tonight.
Scientists expect it to trigger one of the most violent geomagnetic storms ever recorded.
The result could be widespread power surges and even blackouts, disrupted TV and mobile phone signals, and broken down communication satellites.

At least one satellite has already been knocked out of action by the storm. Japan's space agency said its Kodama communications satellite had been temporarily shut down after malfunctioning.
The solar flare that caused the eruption burst out of a sunspot at 10.54am yesterday.
Experts said it was the strongest flare seen in the past 30 years. The explosion caused a coronal mass ejection (CME) which is now speeding towards

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 3-9-2011 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

There's no significant solar activity at the moment.

Well could be a coincidence, like I said never had the power out in the 14 years i have been here if there was not a storm and we don't even have wind, so I turned my computer back on to see if there was a solar thing and there was...I don't know since i have no idea how wide spread it was. it was only out for a second.
edit on 3-9-2011 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

There is no significant solar activity at the moment, nor has there been for a few weeks.
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

There is no solar thing.

edit on 9/3/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join