It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Company claims to have created artificial cortex

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
The summary from
robots.net...

"Artificial Development claims to have developed a working "Autonomous Cognitive Model" (ACM) based on the human cortex. They say this AI has a persona named "Kjell" (after one of Alan Turing's lovers) and was activated in late June. Kjell is said to have a working frontal cortex, motor, and somatosensory areas but does not yet have visual or auditory cortex areas. The hippocampus, basal ganglia and thalamic systems are also "under development". The system is composed of 20 billion neurons capable of 20 trillion connections. It runs on a Linux-based hardware cluster of 500 dual-CPU nodes with a total of 1 terabyte of RAM and 200 terabytes of storage. They claim the system is 10,000 times larger than any previous attempt at creating AI and rivals the complexity of mammalian brains."

The original press release:
www.ad.com...

Hmmnnn... think about what this means in terms of military robots and system monitoring.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
i really hope this isn't the beginning for a "skynet", if ya get my drift.....

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Can it do housework, cook and wait on me hand and foot?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
what frightens me is this may be advanced enough to gain"conciosness". once it can think for itself, then all bets are off-start of skynet....

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   

It runs on a Linux-based hardware cluster of 500 dual-CPU nodes

That right up there ^^ is the downfall of the system. If it relies on a cluster of computers, then its just an add-on to the computers. As for this becoming a sort of sky-net, I doubt it seriously. From the last terminator movie I gathered that skynet was actually a sort of virus rather than one particular computer system or cluster. I really don't get the fear of a sky-net type of system; its not very likely, if only because the differenent branches of the military hate to work together, so a unified systems is unlikely at best. A virus that was as intelligent as sky-net would not be small enough to slip through detection systems and wouldnt be able to propagate well and actually do much more than give IT people a headache for a few months.

new topics

top topics

join