It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Census takers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
So I'm not really new here but, Hi! I just wanted some advice on the census. I don't care telling the census taker how many people live in my house, but I don't want to answer any of their other questions. I just feel it is none of their business.
Anyway, the census taker is now calling my cell phone and coming to my house every other day. My husband and I both work, so we are never home.
I 'm really just wondering besides how many people I have in my household, is there anything else I have to, by law, tell them?
Thanks!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by thewhiterabbit23

Even I have been confused by my obligations in this regard.

Ironically, when one came to my home, I began asking questions he refused to answer... He consequently left without even ever proceeding to ask me any questions. So in a way, he decided for me that I didn't have to answer anything.

Works for me....

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
yeah i got one of these through the post and i was gunna start the same thread. I agree with you completely, when i firdt looked it at i thought no chance im filling that out but then i saw required to complete by law i just thought BS. Why do they need to know anything about that? Surveys to know info on everyone. What are they up to?..

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Post Quarantine and Biohazard signs..
works like a charm to discourage unwanted visitors..

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
you can legally say you have 4 pet rhino's and worship pidgeons if you like, you could even say you poo the bed every night if you wish.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
The man taking the census here last year came to our house and found out from my son that I was at work so he came to my place of employment and started asking questions.
I guess my son forgot all those speech from me about NOT TALKING TO STRANGERS!!! I promptly told the man that I was working and didn't have time to talk to him. He hung around for awhile seeing that I wasn't going to take a break and left. He kept coming by our house until he caught me at home asked his 10 simple questions and was on his way.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Even I have been confused by my obligations in this regard.

Ironically, when one came to my home, I began asking questions he refused to answer... He consequently left without even ever proceeding to ask me any questions. So in a way, he decided for me that I didn't have to answer anything.

Works for me....

My neighbor recently worked for the census. (He was hired three times, fired twice to puff up Obama's jobs creating. He quit after then made him sorta an enforcer to go after the hardcases that refused.) More than likely your sitituation is not resolved with them.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Hello thewhiterabbit,

When this census taker calls again ask for an explaination of the source of the questions. Here is why, the census is a necessary part of our republic but the Census Bureau has contracted to do data mining for other government agencies that would like to know all about you but they clearly to not have the authority to survey individuals with the expectation of compliance.

If you press your inquisitor they will mumble something about needing information at the request of the Commerce Dept or some other agency. My response has always been, fine let them come around and ask. The Census Bureau has the right to contact you but the survey person is hoping you will not notice the conversation continues after your have completed your duty by telling them how many noses to count.

It is somewhat like jury service, another civic duty everyone must respond to. You need to comply but you need not do everything they ask exactly as they suggest. Bureaucrats are masters at commingling the items they can demand with others they can only request. Respond to their questions with questions of your own about the authority to gather the information in the specific question being asked and they will go away and bother someone else. Do not be satisfied with a general response about the authority of the Census Bureau, pin them down and they will leave you alone.

Another approach can be entertaining if there is a member of your household who has lots of time and very little data about what your circumstances are, designate the person who needs company as the contact and be sure that person is briefed to answer all questions and to not be concerned about accuracy. The answers are only tabulated not verified. Your identity and confidential data is nearly certain to be masked by the lack of correlation between the true facts and the responses given.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

File a police report. That's harassment. Don't tell them a damned thing you don't want to, or lie.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by lewman
you can legally say you have 4 pet rhino's and worship pidgeons if you like, you could even say you poo the bed every night if you wish.

That's a good one! LMAO!

In 2000, I filled the form out with nonsense - in crayon. Then I tore it up into little pieces and taped it back together, and wrote all around the envelope religious stuff, again in crayon. I think they were just too afraid to send someone to verify it.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Thanks everybody for your answers and opinions. It really gets me how its not even the actual census its an another agency, the American Community Survey working in conjunction with the census bureau. They want heating costs, insurance coverage, education etc. An according to their brochures I was chosen at random. Lucky me. I also don't like how this man who is trying to contact me (who I am not avoiding, my family works a lot) has my cell phone number!

Anyway I guess according to changes in Title 13 that discusses the census I am required by law to answer, so I guess its time to pull out my old creative writing skills!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Well I read up on the laws and on the past census prosecutions here:

www.statistics.gov.uk...

and have decided to fill out my census with very bad handwriting and some creative truth after which I conducted a bit of stress relief on the document,i.e screwing it up and such.

Being that the data's going to be scanned/read by a computer lets see what it can deduce from my answers

join