It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaddafi forces beat up BBC team

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Gaddafi forces beat up BBC team

www.bbc.co.uk

Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi's security forces detained and beat up a BBC news team who were trying to reach the strife-torn western city of Zawiya.

The three were beaten with fists, knees and rifles, hooded and subjected to mock executions by members of Libya's army and secret police.

The men were detained on Monday and held for 21 hours, but have now flown out of Libya.

Government forces are in a fierce fight to wrest Zawiya from rebel control.

Government artillery and tanks have pounded the city, 50km (30 miles) from the capital Tripoli, over the last four days.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

One of the three, Chris Cobb-Smith, said: "We were lined up against the wall. I was the last in line - facing the wall.

"I looked and I saw a plain-clothes guy with a small sub-machine gun. He put it to everyone's neck. I saw him and he screamed at me.

"Then he walked up to me put the gun to my neck and pulled the trigger twice. The bullets whisked past my ear. The soldiers just laughed."

A second member of the team - Feras Killani, a correspondent of Palestinian descent - is said to have been singled out for repeated beatings.

Their captors told him they did not like his reporting of the Libyan popular uprising and accused him of being a spy.

I really don't understand why Gaddafi hates us so much?
The BBC team even showed their identification as the BBC team and they still carried on!
It's absolutely despicable.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackPoison94

U.S intervention in Iraq, Kuwait, Afghan, Iran, Peru, Grenada, Chile, Colombia etc...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

How soon we forget..

Operation El Dorado Canyon

The attack began at 0200 hours (Libyan time), and lasted about twelve minutes, with 60 tons of munitions dropped. Eighteen F-111 bombers supported by four EF-111 electronic countermeasures aircraft flying from the United Kingdom bombed Tripoli airfield, a frogman training center at a naval academy, and the Bab al-Aziziya barracks in Tripoli.

For the Libyan raid, the United States was denied overflight rights by France, Spain and Italy as well as the use of European continental bases, forcing the Air Force portion of the operation to be flown around France, Spain and through the Straits of Gibraltar, adding 1,300 miles (2,100 km) each way and requiring multiple aerial refuelings.

The attacks failed to kill Gaddafi. Forewarned by a telephone call from Malta's Prime Minister, Karmenu Mifsud Bonnici, that unauthorized aircraft were flying over Maltese airspace heading south towards Tripoli, Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi and his family rushed out of their residence in the Bab al-Azizia compound moments before the bombs dropped. According to Giulio Andreotti (the 42nd Prime Minister of Italy) and Abdel Rahman Shalgham (Libya's Foreign Minister from 2000 until 2009), Italian politician Bettino Craxi was the person who actually warned Gaddafi

en.wikipedia.org...

Gaddafi's house... Too bad he got that warning...

edit on 9-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

U.S intervention in Iraq, Kuwait, Afghan, Iran, Peru, Grenada, Chile, Colombia etc...

You mean the civilized world reaching into the primitive world?

The world is ours for the taking.....

Though id be interested in your thoughts on why Gadaffi gives two #s about south America?

Can't believe you are defending gadaffy

edit on 9-3-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
BBC team? Are you sure?
Last British people beat-up, and captured, in Libya, had other Alphabet letters - SAS, SBS, and MI6 (might be some new British Press outfits I don't know about)...

Besides, if you can't take the heat...don't go to the desert...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Why would you want him to like you? Just curious? Why would anyone want a mentally deranged, brutal Dictator to like them?

The Reporters went there knowing the risks. Many other Reporters have been hurt as well. They are clearly lucky to be alive. Some view the Reporters as Hero's, but I tend to categorize them as foolish. Walking into the middle of a Civil War where either side could and might kill you is hardly Einsteinian after all.

Brave or a Fool, it's all in how you define it. Any of these Reporters who has children at home are putting their jobs ahead of them or the thrill ahead of them. When they take these needless risks, it affects everyone in their lives and it's incredibly selfish and foolish. Hard to boohoo for them.

Why do they do it? To please the Voyeurs who armchair quarterback wars and need their daily fix of blood and gore.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

You mean the civilized world reaching into the primitive world?

The world is ours for the taking.....

WTF...Pot meet Kettle, in the same post even. That attitude might explain A LOT of the root of the issue.

I wouldn't call our part of the world anymore civilized than theirs, we just have more advanced ways of subjecting people to our BS.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

You know, every once in a while, someone writes a post which shines the brightest light on their ignorance.

That was yours.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Most reporters in the country have government minders and are only permitted to travel to certain areas. Some pesky reporters however, do not have minders for various reasons (they escaped them or entered Libya in a more sneaky fashion, for example) and are pissing all over his propaganda by showing how little control Gaddafi has in areas where he claims to have complete control.

Zawiyah, where these guys were allegedly trying to travel, is one of those places where the reality conflicts drastically with what Gaddafi and State TV are claiming. Enormous protests and fighting between pro/anti-Government has been filmed and some great footage has come out these past few days. It's like a warzone in places, but Gaddafi would prefer people to think that everyone is skipping around waving green flags and French-kissing pictures of him.

That's why these reporters were treated so harshly. Also, they may suspect that any Britons are part of another “diplomatic team”.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
What... They thought that they'd be greeted with open arms and roses... To be expected when go into a hostile zone that no-one is safe..

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
LOL...

the Khaddafi folks and the union thugs in the united states would get along pretty well. maybe they should take classes together on ideologically motivated violence, looting, arson and corruption.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Its just a pity the Libyians didn't give a good hidding to the burk who collects the BBC's inflated television license!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
What had happened in the past decades or centuries ago, is long past. We all make mistakes in order to progress.

It's no longer a case of using ALL and ANY attempts to villify anyone or use it to compare against others.

A terrible crime of the worse magnifude is happening in Libya right now before our eyes -unarmed innocents subjected to brutal and horrifying inhuman tortures and murders, not just limited to our fellow human brothers and sisters Libyan, bot even to those non- Libyans.

No doubt that the BBC reporters had brokened the orders of the devils by wandering into Zawiya, an area off limits decreed by the monsters, but as there is no law left in Libya let alone those by the demons, the unarmed reporters did what they had sworn to do - to reveal the truth of what is happening there, so that we, the rest of the world will know what is going on to seek for action- donation or help for our fellow humans.

The reporters could just simply have their press pass revoked for refusing to take part in their lies and packed home, instead, they were detained, tortured mercilessly, treated less than humans. Their captors are depraved individuals and may their faces be remembered, each one of them and be brought to justice.

This is a horror and utterly unspeakable of what the beast is doing in Libya! THE GLOVES MUST BE OFF AND NOW!

Is there no justice, honour and courage left in our world's humanity and leaders anymore???!!!
edit on 9-3-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

Well for one The British and Americans are trying to steal the Oil, by using the rebels as a tactic agaisnt Gaddafi to get the oil.

In fact the uprisings in the mid east has been about oil.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The biggest thief in Libya is Gaddafi and he HAD BEEN STEALING IT from Libyans for 42 years!

Which is more precious? Human bloold or oil? It's beyond oil now.

If the world sits down and lets the devil go free, MORE BLOOD WILL BE SPILT!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
The biggest thief in Libya is Gaddafi and he HAD BEEN STEALING IT from Libyans for 42 years!

If the world sits down and lets the devil go free, MORE BLOOD WILL BE SPILT!

he HAD BEEN STEALING IT from Libyans for 42 years

You sound like a right winger to me, what happens if Gaddafi leaves? who gets the Oil then you know right? the american government thats who.

As for the blood or the death in Libya dont believe the hype going on in the mainstream news , sure there is fighting going in Libya but lets not forget Libya is a big country full of sand and oil, including cities,towns.

The media is only stationed where the rebels are, second i have seen alot of misinformation going in the news media on whats really going in Libya.

spoken like a right winger, i am sorry to say but everything has been about Oil, and honestly you truly the united states is going simply just give the Oil to the Libyans?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I guess that maybe this is Gaddafi 's plot ,he wants to get some hostages , and getting more bargaining chips to assure the security of his family and himself after transfering power .rosetta stone Korean so let's see how the British government deal with this ...

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Articles with sensational b-movie headlines that don't source at least 2 independent verifiable sources should be cast to a hoax/bullscat bin.

"Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi's security forces" are defined as "members of Libya's army and secret police"

Ooooh "secret police" sounds ominous, do their badges & patches read "secret police"?.. ID themselves with "freeze!!, secret police!!" ?.. and if everyone knows about them, they're not much of a "secret".

What exactly are "secret police"?.. if Wikipedia decides:
en.wikipedia.org...

"Secret police (sometimes political police) are a police agency which operates in secrecy to protect the power and authority of a political regime or state."

Huuum, "operates in secrecy" huh?.. call any local, or Fed alphabet, police agency and ask them for details about active cases.. then tell me they don't "operate in secret".

"The BBC team showed their identification when they were detained at an army roadblock on Monday.

They had been seeking, like many journalists, to get around government restrictions by reaching besieged Zawiya"

Try showing BBC ID at an LAPD 'sobriety, safety and drivers license customer service' checkpoint while trying to "get around government restrictions", sometimes called "laws,... and 'obamas forces' will detain you, by force if necessary... lol

"During their detention, the BBC team saw evidence of torture against Libyan detainees, many of whom were from Zawiya. Koraltan said: "I cannot describe how bad it was. Most of them [other detainees] were hooded and handcuffed really tightly, all with swollen hands and broken ribs. They were in agony. They were screaming.""

Wait a second!.. if being "hooded and handcuffed really tightly" is evidence of "torture", uh.. what about hooded & handcuffed Iraqis & Afghanis??.. oh yea, they suck so it's cool... and without x-ray vision I submit it would be difficult to know with 100% certainty who in fact had "broken ribs".

These guys probably got detained, and sure.. roughed up, but at least they were let go and not sent to a Libyan GETMO where "senior officials" would periodically review their detention status.

new topics

top topics

join