It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freed BBC reporters tell of torture after capture in Libya

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Reporters just gave first interview after being released.
They told of very bad torture of other detainees accused of conspiring against Gaddafi regime.
Reporters told they were beaten and threatened with death.
They told all prisoners at the establishment are arabs,2 of them Egyptians.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Looks like BBC are in process of uploading video-link above picked up by Guardian.

Guardian link seems inop-here is a little of story;

Two journalists working for the BBC in Libya say they were arrested, tortured and subjected to a mock execution by security forces of Colonel Muammar Gaddafi's regime.

The shocking account of their experiences, including being held in a cage in a militia barracks while others were tortured around them, was made available to media colleagues in Tripoli after the men had been released and left the country.

At one point during their captivity the men had shots fired past their heads as they were led into a barracks.

One of the men was attacked repeatedly with fists, boots, rifle butts, a stick and piece of pipe. He also described trying to help other victims of torture whom they saw, some of whom had had their ribs broken during beatings.

The ordeal represents the most serious incident yet involving the targeting of the international media and may offer an insight into the fate of many of those opposition supporters who have been rounded during the regime's crackdown on its opponents.

It also offers the first real eyewitness depiction of conditions endured by those arrested by the regime, including those whose only crime has been to talk to foreign journalists.

The two reporters for the BBC Arabic service, Ferras Killani, a Palestinian refugee with a Syrian passport and Turkish citizen Goktay Koraltan, were arrested on Monday with Chris Cobb-Smith, a British citizen, at a checkpoint in Zahra, six miles from the besieged town of Zawiya thirty miles from Tripoli.
edit on 9-3-2011 by martin3030 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Sorry dude, the link is 404'ing on guardian.co.uk Can you re-upload the link, or paste the story in?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
It's a cover up, BBC took the story down and I can't find this story anywhere else!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
It's a cover up, BBC took the story down and I can't find this story anywhere else!

I've seen them do that a couple of times myself when they have the data either wrong, or waiting for the right moment to release this to maximise impact.. from what I've seen if this is real then it'll tie into some official gov story line..

If true I wonder how it'll be spun! I'm guessing a line that backs up Camerons spin of not wanting to see Libyas die at the hands of Gaddafi... worrying times..
edit on 9/3/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

top topics

join