It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme Super Moon & Current Rise in sun Activity: Effects on earth

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
www.astropro.com...

Here is Astropro's chart of Super Moons.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Why would the Moon coming slightly closer to Earth cause an earthquake when it is no nearer to Earth than normal?

The whole supermoon premise is preposterous. Either it affects the Earth at perigee or it doesn't.

It's like arguing that switching on my kettle to boil caused the earthquake even though at the time my kettle was switched off.....

edit on 12-3-2011 by Essan because: typo

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
It's like arguing that switching on my kettle to boil caused the earthquake event though at the time my kettle was switched off.....

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by missvicky

An analogy.

The point is, you cannot logically argue that a supermoon caused an earthquake which occurred when this was no supermoon.

As another analogy, it would be like arguing your toothache was caused by drinking cola even though you had not drunk cola.

(the kettle thing is a running joke since I can prove that an earthquake occurs every time I boil the kettle - simply because there are earthquakes occurring somewhere or other every minute of every day)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
(the kettle thing is a running joke since I can prove that an earthquake occurs every time I boil the kettle - simply because there are earthquakes occurring somewhere or other every minute of every day)

Well dammit! could ya give the rest of the world a break and use the micro wave???? Geez!!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by missvicky

But every time I use the microwave a car crashes!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

well since it's all your fault, you either figure out an alternative in order to achieve a safer existence for the rest of us or ditch your theory and explore the Super Moon Idea? Just think what nasty karma you could prevent?

But, seriously, the Super Moon or any Full or New Moon for that matter is not like a light switch. As those events come nearer we can feel the effects, the energy culminates on the day of the event and then after the event the energy dissapates. To outright dismiss the influence as "preposterous" is preposterous.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

I am very sceptical of this term "super moon" - Someone has brought branding into the natural phenonmena which have always existed.

However, I appreciate you have compiled some interesting information, sources and quotes. I accept your premise that as this will have a proven effect on the tides, it is theoretically possible that it could affect the movement of magma within the earth and potentially have an impact upon the surface plates.

Its very rare i would view something like this with any likely credibility but think you have made an excellent contribution to the discussion and given some food for thought.

Starred and flagged.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by amkia
Great post S&F thank you W1LL.

I am not sure why people (ridicule) astrologers. Astrology is the oldest science known to mankind.

Sometimes people forget about the concept of what we call science, science is all about (observations + making notes and passing over the new found data to the newer generations) and astrology is all about OBSERVATIONS.

Thanks again mate.

Sorry but astrology is not science. Science requires proof. Astrology assumes cause and effect but offers no proof (that i've ever seen).

Mean no offence, quite happy to read anything you can point to as evidence?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

Well I have to eat my words here , unfortunately I was wrong , I thought the super moon might only cause minor increase in geothermic activity . that is if it was indeed the so called supermoon that pull on the techtonic plates to the breaking point.
edit on 12-3-2011 by OpusMarkII because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by VitriolAndAngst
I don't know what that recurring oscillation at the bottom of your chart is -- High tides, maybe?

That's a representation of the lunar cycle...the moon rise, the meridian (when the moon's directly overhead), and the moon set times.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by missvicky

But, seriously, the Super Moon or any Full or New Moon for that matter is not like a light switch. As those events come nearer we can feel the effects, the energy culminates on the day of the event and then after the event the energy dissapates. To outright dismiss the influence as "preposterous" is preposterous.

Why would that be?

Are you saying the Moon-Earth is interacting, based on where the Moon will be at some future point in time?

And why do previous occasions not coincide with anything special? Why do more severe events occur when the Moon is, er, well, about the same distance as it is now?

Maybe a waxing quarter Moon midway between apogee and perigee is what causes bigger earthquakes?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
To quantify the current position of the moon...

- The moon is now at a distance of 388,166.94 km

- The moon's last 4 perigees were on:

February 19 (358,246 km)
January 22 (362,792 km)
December 22 (364,800 km)
November 23 (359,691 km)

- The nearest perigee of 2010 was:

January 30 (356,592 km)

This year's "supermoon", in 7 days, will only be 15 km closer than last year's, at 356,577 km

Add that to the fact that the moon's current distance is much greater than the distances of the moon at perigee in previous months, and I have to ask: even if there seems to be a correlation, what is the cause of that correlation? Because there is nothing to suggest that the current position of the moon is anything the Earth has not experienced even just in the past few months.

I think someone should be analytically tracking the occurrence of earthquakes with relation to solar activity, to be complementary to my lunar cycle plot, as well as any other possible causes. I would do it, and I can handle a huge amount of information at one time, but my head is starting to hurt from all this data...to include solar activity would probably give me an aneurysm.
edit on 12-3-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Add that to the fact that the moon's current distance is much greater than the distances of the moon at perigee in previous months, and I have to ask: even if there seems to be a correlation, what is the cause of that correlation? Because there is nothing to suggest that the current position of the moon is anything the Earth has not experienced even just in the past few months.

I'm sure there is a correlation, between the stresses excerted on the planet by the sun and the moon, inner core activity and the tectonic plates along with other environmental attributes such as weather and surface temperature.

To connect all the dots to establish a pattern amidst that chaos and then ultimately predict scenerios is indeed a challenge.

Whilst it's admirable you are thinking about potential correlation, I doubt there is a hard/fast rule to predict these natural disasters. I agree with your former post that whilst the planet is in a fragile state it could be more susceptible to influence from the moon it's a difficult thing to prove statistically imo. Even if we did experience an increase in activity during this super moon it's not definite that it would repeat the next time.
edit on 12-3-2011 by digitalf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

I don't have much time today but all the questions on this last page have already been answered in my OP and pg4. maybe it was missed.

Waxing and Waning don't have much noticeable effect maybe on earth temps...
How the moon can effect earth temps
Waxing Waning

Essan you did touch on my point with this comment

Maybe a waxing quarter Moon midway between apogee and perigee is what causes bigger earthquakes?

Originally posted by -W1LL
reply to post by OrionHunterX

the article states that hurricane katrina made landfall on Aug 29 2005. 10 days after the moons perigee.
The storm obviously did not manifest on the day it made landfall so the 10 days before the storm hit while it was gathering power out in the ocean the moon could have had a large unnoticed effect... not only that the effects are felt over a period of time the perigee is just a name we use for an extreme measurement of how close the moon is, however the moons effects are always felts and what I feel effects the earth more than just the perigee or apogee is the in-between when the moon is coming and going.

as i stated above I dont think the moon is a harbinger of doom, I just think mainstream science if overlooking the fact that the moon has a great effect on our earth more than just our water. nothing in our earth cycles is cut and dry (hence my elliptical of life metaphor in my OP), our moon has a apogee and perigee it affects us over time like the torque and stress from tectonic plates causes earthquakes.

From my OP

the Perigee may be when the moon is at its closest but the affects of it moving towards and away from the earth might have an effect from the evidence in bold.

reply to post by phoenix103

from pg4

Yes, there is science and research. from my OP.
Recent Earthquakes linked to Solar Effects on Earth’s Magnetic Field
library.thinkquest.org...
nineplanets.org...
www.astronomytoday.com... (this site is down right now?)
some more good reading
How the Moon can affect earths Temp.
The Moon Effect Called the Greenhouse Effect on Earth
interesting quote from above article.

a super moon as the article sensationally calls the moons perigee, is because the moons perigee will be the closest it has been in 20yrs they call it a super moon. the moon still has a cycle of perigee and apogee it s just not as close...

Apogee Perigee calculator

CLPrime great work, I will U2U soon to collaborate on some info hopefully make it easier on the brain I know exactly what you're going through, Information OVERLOAD which is probably why most scientist done get into this subject like they should.

and well said Digitalf

I almost forgot - Japan was getting hit with these 5+ mag quakes about 5-10 quakes every hour, Before the big 8.8 since then those 5+ mag quakes have NOT calmed down, and I fear another large quake may be building.
also Los Angeles has been fairly inactive compared to the Rest of the ring of fire, the stress there may be intensifying.

I am no expert you know my theory from this thread, the moon is approaching apogee.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

I think you mean the moon is approaching its perigee...which is why this months full moon (expected March 19th) is called a super moon because at its closest position to earth this year, it will also be in its perigee on March 19th.

But as another poster pointed out...I dont feel that the moon was the cause to anything that has happened as of late for the moon has not reached its closest distance to Earth yet.

If we see a bunch of quakes on the 19th...then I think we have something to talk about. I do hope not.

www.fourmilab.ch...

As you can notice on this calculated link of the perigee and apogee...the numbers for the perigee on March 19th is showing the moon at its closest position of the entire year and it just so happens the moon will be full. We can look back the last 20 years and see the Moons perigee position dates of each year and from what I have understood...none of them were at full moon, hence is why none of them were called 'super moons'.

Im open for any corrections
LV

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
last week i think it was or the week before on the way home from bergen i noticed how large the moon seemed , i mean it was huge ...

so i think the closer the moon is to the earth the more quakes we can get globally and they are usually large quakes so im expecting another large quake somewhere on the planet by the end of month.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by -W1LL
CLPrime great work, I will U2U soon to collaborate on some info hopefully make it easier on the brain I know exactly what you're going through, Information OVERLOAD which is probably why most scientist done get into this subject like they should.

Thank you, that would be much appreciated

I had to get outside for a bit earlier, to take a break and get my eyes away both from the news and the TV and laptop screens...my eyes hurt as much as the rest of my head.

By the way, I didn't even stop thinking while I was on that "break". It occurred to me that this recent chain of quakes, that spans both sides of the Pacific, began around the New Moon, when the moon and the sun were aligned with the earth. It might certainly be wise to be cautious on the 19th, because of the fact that it's both the perigee AND the Full Moon, when the 3 are in alignment again.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

I agree you put it well.. only the news link says there was a super moon in 2005 before katrina.

I understand what your saying about perigee and the moon having more of an effect on earth then.

but The moon is always affecting the earth no matter what its apogee or perigee I believe it is the fluctuation that causes the most problems the gradual force of the sun and moon working together pushing and pulling the earth.

so I feel the time leading up to perigee and away from perigee are just as important to observe as the day of Perigee if not more important, because the earth changes happen slowly...

hope that makes sense.. I 2 am recovering from a headache.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

By the way, I didn't even stop thinking while I was on that "break". It occurred to me that this recent chain of quakes, that spans both sides of the Pacific, began around the New Moon, when the moon and the sun were aligned with the earth. It might certainly be wise to be cautious on the 19th, because of the fact that it's both the perigee AND the Full Moon, when the 3 are in alignment again.

Great Point!!!

A.A I did read that the moon is visibly larger when it is rising and setting in the horizons I plan on setting my camera to take some pics of the moon, here I have very little light around my house the ones I took of the eclipse came out alright the full moon should come out great.

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join