It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

82 percent of US schools may be labeled 'failing'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

For the most part those stats sounds about right, whites are no smarter than blacks or Latinos. The problem we have is spending money and using resources to bring the ELL students up to speed with the rest of the kids and it's killing the advancement rate and academic proficiency of the other kids. I feel they need to send the ELL kids to private schools and let their parents pay to bring them up to speed instead of taking away from citizens education and they should do this only after gaining citizenship.
I'm curios about the home schooling stats. How can a parent from Mexico that doesn't speak English teach their kids English and English history, etc...If you took those kids and put them in a public school you're going to see their home school scores drastically drop and we're back to square one with the test score differences between citizen and non.
The other problem that we're going to see is with the new proficiency test score scale for a passing grade means we will see more and more kids taking the same grade over, so not only are we going to be paying for them once but twice to retake the same grade, but we're also making major school budget cuts
This doesn't look good for our kids educational future.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I believe a well-known George Carlin rant is entirely appropriate here. And, as usual, he's absolutely right.

***Strong language. Viewer discretion advised.***

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

Great post! I miss George. He had a brutally honest, common sense way of looking at things that was hard to dispute, very intelligent man he was.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Educating kids really isn't that hard. Teaching them critical thinking skills and how to incorporate rudimentary logic into their world would solve 90% of these problems.

Also, if we stopped pretending like every child can be a rocket scientist and began to understand that maybe that's not a bad thing, that would also help.

As an addendum: I sort of wish my parents had homeschooled me. I could've gone at my own pace, which would have been absolutely wonderful.
edit on 10-3-2011 by gnosticquasar because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join