It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom charged after tot walks into NY road with pot

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

LOCH SHELDRAKE, N.Y. – Authorities have charged a 30-year-old New York woman with endangering the welfare of a child after police say her toddler wandered into an upstate road clutching a bag of marijuana. Police in the hamlet of Loch Sheldrake say Lakeisha Owens was sleeping in her apartment around 5 p.m. Saturday when her 3-year-old daughter was nearly struck by a vehicle. Officials say the driver pulled over, removed the child from the road and called police. Authorities say the girl was holding a bag containing 15 grams of marijuana. Police said Tuesday that Owens was released after her arrest on the misdemeanor charge. Authorities didn't know if she had a lawyer, and there was no phone listing for her in Loch Sheldrake, located 85 miles northwest of New York City.

Normally, I might have passed this over. But it just sticks in my crawl for some reason. This woman is 30 years old for gods sake! I don't even know any teens that are this wreckless with their childrens lives. Or their own for that matter. But what really piqued my curiousity was the charges. "Endangering the welfare"? What about the drugs? What about neglect?

Obviously, I don't know this woman. Or her circumstances. But I just can't find an excuse for a 3 year old to be found wandering in traffic while mommy is sleeping. CPS, as evil as they are, have removed children for less.

My mind just keeps thinking Twilight Zone, or Outer Limits.
edit on 9-3-2011 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Kids these days,huh?
Starting at a younger age.

Times are tough I suppose.

Though it's bit a shocking that someone would leave their child wandering the streets with a bag of marijuana. Think the cops did the right thing. Get there's a whole lot of people who don't like the law but sometimes it serves a purpose.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
What a silly woman. A, for sleeping when there's an active toddler around (it only takes a second for them to be out of sight and into trouble) and b- for leaving her weed somewhere where her child could get at it. She deserves the book thrown at her, and you don't get me saying thigs like that very often.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

LOCH SHELDRAKE, N.Y. – Authorities have charged a 30-year-old New York woman with endangering the welfare of a child after police say her toddler wandered into an upstate road clutching a bag of marijuana. Police in the hamlet of Loch Sheldrake say Lakeisha Owens was sleeping in her apartment around 5 p.m. Saturday when her 3-year-old daughter was nearly struck by a vehicle. Officials say the driver pulled over, removed the child from the road and called police. Authorities say the girl was holding a bag containing 15 grams of marijuana. Police said Tuesday that Owens was released after her arrest on the misdemeanor charge. Authorities didn't know if she had a lawyer, and there was no phone listing for her in Loch Sheldrake, located 85 miles northwest of New York City.

...What about the drugs?....../quote]

What drugs?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

If the drugs weren't involved would the person have still called the cops? Would people still be looking at it the same way?

Kids get away from the parents some times, there was a time when people in the community would just send 'em home but I guess we live in a super dangerous world now.

I'm not condoning, just offering perspective.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

A, for sleeping when there's an active toddler around (it only takes a second for them to be out of sight and into trouble) and b- for leaving her weed somewhere where her child could get at it.

Because weed is poisonous? With that thinking, anyone who forgets to lock up the windex is in a similar circumstance. She could've kept a better eye on the kid, I agree with that.

Again... Perspective.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

agreed actually, what is a kid going to do with a baggie of weed? it's a plastic bag with some plant matter in it, it is completely harmless. far more harmless than windex. it is far more important to keep harsh chemical cleaners out of reach than a bag.

that being said, being ripped and asleep at 5pm and your 3 year old walking out the door... huge parenting fail. kid coulda been killed.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadlyrhythm

that being said, being ripped and asleep at 5pm and your 3 year old walking out the door... huge parenting fail. kid coulda been killed.

Hard to argue that. It is a valid point. Me personally, I would hope I could keep my eye on my kids all the time at that age.

At the same time, as a kid, I used to wander a lot. Even the best parents lose track a few times in a life of parenting. My Mother was overbearing and it still happened. Oh, and I'm still alive.

But I do agree, this woman is probably not the an idol for mothering.
edit on 9-3-2011 by boncho because: +info

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Its really cold around here too. Kid could have froze to death. Believe it or not, this isn't the first instance of toddlers wandering off around here, it happens every couple months or so.
Like previous posters said, I am not against the pot, even if the kid sat there and ate the whole 15 grams I think she would have been ok, whereas if it was a bottle of pills she'd probably be dead.
Shame on Mom though, 3 year olds are a nightmare, they get into e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g, she should have known better.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Let’s say mom works two jobs, picks up her child from daycare comes home sits on the couch while watching Jr play harmlessly and dozes off. Jr. being a 3 year old gets tired of whatever he was doing at the time and wonders quietly outside. In his travels he spots and picks up a bag of weed on the side of the road that a driver from the night before ditched while being pulled over. A concerned citizen sees Jr holding said weed and called the police. Only 5 minutes passed from the time mom dozed off and Jr being found.

There is a lot of the story left out. Just trying to put a perspective on it.

-Al

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
This ''mother'' in my opinion should of had the book thrown at her!! there are soo many things that could of happend to that child like being abducted for one.

is the child still in her care?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I see yet another argument in favor of legalizing marijuana. I mean, really, it doesn't influence or change your perceptions of responsibility and what is acceptable and not, right?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlBeMet
Let’s say mom works two jobs, picks up her child from daycare comes home sits on the couch while watching Jr play harmlessly and dozes off. Jr. being a 3 year old gets tired of whatever he was doing at the time and wonders quietly outside. In his travels he spots and picks up a bag of weed on the side of the road that a driver from the night before ditched while being pulled over. A concerned citizen sees Jr holding said weed and called the police. Only 5 minutes passed from the time mom dozed off and Jr being found.

There is a lot of the story left out. Just trying to put a perspective on it.

-Al

And that perspective makes it all hunkydory, nothing to worry about, nothing to see, move along...
... right?

Something about "personal and familial responsibility" seems to be missing here.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
So none of you have ever taken a nap at the same time as your toddler? Ever?

We rarely get the whole story in any 5 line news blurb.

I find our culture to be incrediably self-rightous and judgemental.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67
So none of you have ever taken a nap at the same time as your toddler? Ever?

We rarely get the whole story in any 5 line news blurb.

I find our culture to be incrediably self-rightous and judgemental.

Nope, never napped during the day time. And when I did sleep, the doors were locked with a double-keyed deadbolt- needs a key to open from the inside as well as outside and the key was removed and on my person.

edit on 3/16/2011 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

i agree that we should not be so judgementle. but for a toddler to get past its mother, open a door find its way out of an appartment building and into a main road while holding a bag of weed!! the saftey standers are pretty low dont you think??

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by icedancer

To be clear, I'm not suggesting this is acceptable behaviour or that the mother shouldn't be held accountable for her actions or lack of action. I am suggesting that there may be more to this story then we are hearing. She may have a medical disorder or even psychological issue.

Instead of laying judgement upon the mother, I prefer to have sympathy and concern for the child.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

>snip<

Instead of laying judgement upon the mother, I prefer to have sympathy and concern for the child.

So you don't, in any manner, hold the mother responsible for neglecting the child? You're saying the 3yo is responsible?

I guess it's true, what I hear now... it takes a village to raise an idiot.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by icedancer

This ''mother'' in my opinion should of had the book thrown at her!! there are soo many things that could of happend to that child like being abducted for one.

is the child still in her care?

So are you saying that child abductions only happen to unfit Mothers?

I think the book should be thrown at anyone that brings their kid to the Catholic church. Statistically, that is more dangerous than leaving your kid unattended at the park.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian

>snip<

So you don't, in any manner, hold the mother responsible for neglecting the child? You're saying the 3yo is responsible?

I guess it's true, what I hear now... it takes a village to raise an idiot.

Did you bother to read the part that you "snipped?" I had *clearly* stated she (the mother) should be held accountable. And in what way do you perceive that I want to hold the child responsible from me stating that I had concern for the child? Concern and responsiblity have two different meanings. Here's a link for your assitance: Dictionary

In my previous post I stated I wanted to be clear. No matter how you word things, some people will see what they want and perceive what they want. These are the same judgemental people I speak of in my original post.

edit on 3/16/2011 by Whisper67 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join