It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, I just watched T.V. for the first time in months, and..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I flip to the History channel and there's something on called Underwater Universe.. im like, hey awesome!

Not even 30 seconds into the program the sound cuts out and rolling txt is going across the screen saying something like: We are testing the emergency broadcasting blah blah blah from 11:46am to 12:46pm, you might lose signal between this time". The signal went out for a few minutes, but now its back again.

I really should've committed to memory exactly what it said, but it definitely mentioned emergency broadcast.. I have NEVER seen one of these things before. Usually it's the old "ERR.. ERRR.. ERRR" thingies, but it didnt make that noise. then I got to thinking about an article back in Feb. talking about Presidential emergency alerts to be tested

www.federalnewsradio.com...

"The primary goal is to provide the President with a mechanism to communicate with the American public during times of national emergency," said Fowlkes. The change, she said, is that prior to last week's order there was no rule in place to call for or allow a test from top to bottom. Fowlkes said, "There's never been a test from top to bottom where it's issued by FEMA and it goes straight down to all the different levels of EAS to the American public. So this is a way for us to glean, okay, if there were an actual emergency and the federal government needed to activate the Presidential EAS, making sure that it actually works the way it's designed to."

Fowlkes said the CMAS is slated to begin deployment in April 2012.

I'm in florida and i've got Knology internet/cable. I rarely watch t.v. so Im just wondering if anyone else has seen this before?

edit on 9-3-2011 by Versalife because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-3-2011 by Versalife because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Yep, I see it all the time here in Daytona. Usually referring to a "monthly test of the Emergency Broadcast System". Nothing scary, they just do it to make sure the gear's still working properly in case they need to use for an actual emergency. It generally interferes with the cable somewhat, as you mentioned.

You're probably better off to continue not watching the TV at all.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
yes, I think it was a sign to get away from the T.V.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Versalife

Not to sure what to make of this, just going to relay an EAS oddity I experienced:

Yesterday, I was catching up on some Around the Horn on ESPN because I had paused it to go run an errand, part way through the EAS took over the cable box. I didn't think much of it, it happens, just a little annoyed I was going to miss the rest of my show. Well I go to change it to catch the end of PTI instead (pretty much the same show anyway) and it won't let me change the channel. All it shows is the "local bulletin" channel we have, and the music on it is looping a few seconds over and over again. I start to get frustrated because changing the channel isn't working. Then I think to myself "its 4:30...the EAS test doesn't happen at this time, and not on this day" so I check out a radio and nothing there so that cools my nerves.

Not saying these are related at all, but an interesting coincidence possibly?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Probably a good sign to heed!

I'm sure we're all aware that the TV is rotting our brains.
It's good to have one around, preferably battery powered, come hurricane season though.
Sometimes important info can actually be seen which can keep us out of trouble.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
If you haven't watched TV in months, why do you pay for cable TV?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
On the first monday of every month in Hawaii they test the Tsunami sirens. When I first got there I had no idea and thought a nuclear war was happening. A little off topic but reminded me of this.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
If you haven't watched TV in months, why do you pay for cable TV?

my roommates watch t.v.

I can't stand it.. that blaring noise from the tube drives me crazy. History channel or natgeo/discovery is tolerable every now and then

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Here in Pittsburgh We get the test but they usually run it in the middle of the night so ..........

Funnily enough while Watching Roma vs Shaktar (Champions league soccer) On FSN a small ticker came across stating that I may temporarily lose service over a solar event. Got the same thing while watching a game on Monday too but just on FSN Pitssburgh (not FSC the Fox soccer channel). Did anyone else get this on any other channel.

My advice my friend is put the controller back down and avert your eyes. There is not much (imho) good on the Tell (you what to think) evision.
edit on 9/3/11 by TrowaBarton because: n/m

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I'm not sure if it was placebo or not but I really felt like my brain just shut off after only watching it for a couple of seconds. There's some science behind this involving the flicker rates. i'll try to find an article after i get some food. hell it is probably posted here already, im sure

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
All I can say is, I was in the big Loma Prieta quake in San Francisco in 89. The ONE time that the bs emergency broadcast system could have actually served its supposed purpose. What happened?

Nothing.

The EBS system totally failed, the one time it could have been useful. All TV, radio, cable, all went down for at least two hours, until finally one radio station came back on air using genset backup power, and STILL no EBS warning. Guess it was kind of too late at that point.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I see the emergency test more often now, and it is on during the middle of the day. It used to just be on late at night. This changed in the last couple of years.

One day, there was a real warning, regarding a tornado that was near my town, which was kind of unusual, since I live near the West Coast...it was a small tornado and I did not see it, but I was glad for the warning.

edit on 9-3-2011 by PacificBlue because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
On the first monday of every month in Hawaii they test the Tsunami sirens. When I first got there I had no idea and thought a nuclear war was happening. A little off topic but reminded me of this.

Yeah,
the air raid siren
(as I called it)
caught me by surprise
the first time I heard it too.

David Grouchy

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

Here in Germany villages use the air riad sirene also if there is a house on fire.
Not knowing it woke me once at 3 AM. It scared the .... out of me.
In the Netherlands you can monitor most of the ambulances, rescue helicopters and fire departments live.
monitor.livep2000.nl...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Here's my favorite "emergency broadcast test":

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
You turned on the t.v.? Why?

2nd line
3rd line
4th line

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I just posted a fourm on this too. I have been home with the tv on, I've seen this EBS 3 times in the past 24 hours, not accounting for the times I may have missed. Was curious to know if there is a expected emergency about to happen, and not relating to the Terminators Judgement Day.

top topics

join