It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UK are preparing mass rehearsals for flood based catastrophes, including a North Sea Swell

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
If the sea level does rise I'm all good

Is about 3 miles from me
Close to 2000ft above sea level, yeah boiii

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
www.defra.gov.uk...

Above is a link to a 2006 Tsunami consultaion paper/assesment, Talks about the Lisbon event? It covers Cornwall, and Ireland
edit on 9-3-2011 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
reply to post by OptimisticPessimist

A massive earthquake along the New Madrid fault would cause a tsunami in Britain in the same way the, er, Dudley earthquake caused a devasting tsunami in New York.

Tsunamis are caused by deep oceanic earthquakes. Not those in the midst of continents.

It has no relevance to exercise for likely flooding in the UK due to heavy rain or storm surges.
edit on 9-3-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

Thank You.
That's all you needed to say to maintain a dignified discussion.
I for one, have absolutely no idea of the dynamics of earthquakes or tsunamis, so would not be entirely clued up as to how far they could travel and still cause damage.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Could you all be worrying for nothing I wonder?
Considering that every winter for the last four years, and one summer, has brought floods to central and southern Britain I would have thought the government rehearsing what they would do if a major flood occurred was normal and to be applauded.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icanseeatoms
Im in the Midlands, nothing to report as yet, although i would ask ATS UK, where is the highest point to get away from the flood should things go ponto around here, thanks very much for any assistance and replys.

Icanseeatoms.

Thats an excellent question

Knowing where the highest point is in your area, especially if you live near flood zone even a little river, creek, lake or shore

Also knowing all known routes (including off road roads) to reach the 'safe zone'

Families should be thinking about these things for possible fires, floods, storms and any other disasters

Know how to prepare the house for these things

Pack and get ready to GO

Possible exists for evacuation

Possible safe sites

Knowing all the available roads is important (including off road routes)

Doing test runs as a family is also a good idea and timing it
NB: 1000s of other residents will also be using the same road, so think about how much more time that will add on, this is why its important to know your area and know all the other routes in your area to get to your safe zone

Knowing what to take, what needs to be packed (should already be packed) and GO

NB: Important documents should be packed in plastic air tight sleeves

Remember the fire drills we did at school?
Remember fire drills we do at work?

Most governments will have a disaster emergency website (for your state) with vital imformation, what should be in an emergency kit, stuff like that

In Australia it used to be min of 3 days food, meds and water supply for each member of the family (including pets), blankets, batteries, torches, battery operated radio, can opener

Since the bad flu year, the Health Department now advises min of 2 weeks food, meds and water supply for each member of the family (including pets), blankets, batteries, torchers, battery operated radio, can opener

My golden rule: closed in shoes, water proof jackets, car fueled up and cash

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
You dont need a little earth quake off the coast to cause some sort of sea level to rise

Just look at what happened in Australia, major flooding INLAND affecting 3 large States no where near the shore line (remember the inland tsumani!)

All it takes is lots and lots of rain with no end in sight, with land soaked not allowing any more rain to soak up that water has to go somewhere, it runs off

Think about the population growth in our countries compared to population numbers 10 years ago

Any sort of flood, storm etc would affect MORE people in MORE towns and cities TODAY than 10 years ago, think about all known creek beds, river systems being inundated with water, swelling up

Im glad our governments and state emergency departments are planning and doing drills, that is good leadership.. I rather they know what they need to do via training/possible scenerios instead of reaching out, dusting off the disaster management manual

Do we want our government and our disaster management teams to be like the US? (think of Hurricane Katarina)

The UK has been known to be one of the worlds best when it comes to disaster management, especially the first responders, lets keep it that way .. I know Australia has often trained with the UK team... I rather our countries know what needs to be done to prevent, knows what should be done when something happens, then not knowing or had no training involving 1000s of people

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by lambros56
They held an exercise in Liverpool last september.
It was based on an earthquake happening with a magnitude of .....i think 7 or 8 plus.
Liverpool.....Earthquake....?
Doubt it very much.

I hope not

im not quite prepared for a earthquake .... yet

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
heres something from our local paper about it

www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
i live in Crewe, Cheshire (Cheshire plains) hmmmm
Looks like im going to be snookered IF anything happens!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by star child

I noticed the moon's angle as well! Perhaps the Earth has shifted on her axis?

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by wheelz123
reply to post by star child

I noticed the moon's angle as well! Perhaps the Earth has shifted on her axis?

If you're genuinely worried about that kind of thing, you should try to chat with some local farmers if you're near any. They will usually be able to tell you many facts about these things that you'd never have found online and...it's much more reassuring when it comes from such a source!
The cresent does indeed change like this and is nothing unprecidented.
You should see the Harvest Moon when it's a good-un!! Bright red and massive - if ever there was a "Moon of Doom", the Harvest Moon would fit the look!

Incidentally, the Earth axis did indeed shift from the big Chile quake last year but it was only by a very small amount, enough to shorten our days by only a fraction of a millisecond and certainly not enough to be able to see any visual changes in our sky.

edit on 10-3-2011 by OptimisticPessimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthissues
i live in Crewe, Cheshire (Cheshire plains) hmmmm
Looks like im going to be snookered IF anything happens!

I think people should see these excercises as a very good and needed "Wake up Call" to remind us that it's not a case of "If", but "When".
If all it does is make you think about what you would/could do, IF something like this happened, then that's the crux of all this, I think.

The reality is that the UK's main threat from the rapidly changing climate is going to be bringing some hefty storms in the very near future and we as a collective, really need to get our heads around that fact.
All too common is the situation where nobody speaks about potentials like this because everyone's too worried about the consequences, if not also about their image.
This is a dangerous and potentially very costly attitude that I hope, these training excercises can help eliminate quickly, so we can all start seriously and rationally looking at what is happening instead of ignoring it until it's too late (as is the usual MO) and panicking.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
This thread has been forgotten, but it shouldn't be considering what happened on the 11th. Eerie to say the least...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
just thinking the same thing im in manchester but used to live in lewisham so if that did and is being prepared for i wouldent put the goverment passed it but this would bring london to a stand still but as it says training sertant people and not telling the public about they would make millions in sand bags theyed be like a tenner a bag
but yea this should be a more watched thread
i agree with the honorerable gentlemen ha ha
house of commons catches me joke

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join