It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UK are preparing mass rehearsals for flood based catastrophes, including a North Sea Swell

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
What I find most interesting about this story is the fact of it's timing.
I get the unshakable feeling they are withholding valuable information from the general public with regards to this latest "excercise" and it's relationship with the "white elephant in the room" that is the unpresidented terrestrial & extra-terrestrial changes now occurring.

Don't get me wrong, I think this kind of thing is well overdue! What with the recent floods that have cost the country a tidy sum it's a good idea, albeit seemingly too little too late for some.
It's the level of flooding they are preparing for is what's worrying somewhat - North Sea surges? The last time that happened was...oh, 1953! (SuperMoon, anyone?
)
Besides, the millions spent on the already existent Thames Flood Barriers will save London from another storm surge, surely? Wasn't that what it was for in the first place? Now they're implying they will not be enough.

Major rehearsals for a possible disaster are to begin involving 10,000 people as Government tests how they, the emergency services and communities will respond. £1.8million is being spent on the test exercises which will involve ten government departments and utility companies in what ministers say is the 'largest civil defence exercise ever' in Britain.

Over the next week Exercise Watermark will test how agencies deal with flash flooding, overflowing rivers, a reservoir threatening to burst and even a North Sea tidal surge in different parts of the country.

Environment Minister Richard Benyon said: 'More extreme weather and rising sea levels mean we have to be prepared to deal with the impact of a major flood.

'Exercise Watermark will be Britain's biggest ever emergency exercise and provide a unique opportunity for us to test our responses.'
Mr Benyon insisted the exercise was not taking funding away from flood defences, which suffered cuts under the spending review, as the money came from a separate protected pot for emergency planning.

Source

They are trying to warn us of far more frequent and potentially more severe cases impending, without causing undue fear and panic.
For example, were they to issue a warning of another extreme such as was seen in the 50's, just the logistics of preparing for something like that would cripple the country, let alone dedicating funds specifically for it (considering they just cut the budget for this kind of thing). Those along the coast would demand action.

For those that genuinely feel there is nothing happening in the world that will ultimately effect your way of life, I sincerely advise you to do some offline scholarly research, dating back approximately ten years.

Knowledge is power and ignorance is bliss - one cannot have both together so now is the time to choose - blissful unawareness or painful knowledge (if I could choose again, I would take the bliss, hands down...).

edit on 9-3-2011 by OptimisticPessimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimisticPessimist

What would really suprise me is if a disaster actually happens on the very same day that they carry out the exercises.

I mean, its not like anything like that has ever happened before anywhere in the world.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I wonder how people in the UK feel about money spent on a "test", while the price of gas and food goes up. I would demand reasons known. Will the UK be in a threat for flooding? Why perform testing if there is no immediate danger? I understand protect at all cost, but give the public a real reason, like there is expected flooding in the next coming months and we need a water tight system.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
thanks for that, I'll have a look to see if they are doing anything down here
I beleive tho my neck of the woods is more susceptible to meta tsunamis that tidal surges, tho if it was possible form them to combine then that would cause a lot of problems..

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

What would really suprise me is if a disaster actually happens on the very same day that they carry out the exercises.

I mean, its not like anything like that has ever happened before anywhere in the world.

Yeah...I wasn't going to mention that...!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by greenfox83
I wonder how people in the UK feel about money spent on a "test", while the price of gas and food goes up. I would demand reasons known. Will the UK be in a threat for flooding? Why perform testing if there is no immediate danger? I understand protect at all cost, but give the public a real reason, like there is expected flooding in the next coming months and we need a water tight system.

Good points.
I suggest they are warning people. But if they outright said "People! There's a major catastrophe coming!" then collectively, we would panic and not prepare adequately enough, I feel.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I had a look around the companies website "Exercise Watermark" and the tests are currently going on right now and will last throughout the week as far as I understand it.

update on Exercise Watermark

Thousands of emergency responders (almost half of the UK's response agencies) are currently taking part in Exercise Watermark, aiming to strengthen and improve the way we deal with flooding emergencies.

Below is a day by day summary of the scenario being used to test their procedures (this fictional account is set in November 2011)

Monday 7 November 2011

The scenario started on Monday where the country experienced heavy rain from Merseyside to Kent with some more extreme rainfall from Lancashire to Humberside and South West England to London.

Emergency responders in the capital were asked to react to the scenario of thousands of rail passengers becoming stuck at some of London's busiest railway stations. Flood water was also said to be causing problems on the M25, M11 and M12, which put the Highways Agency to the test.

The rainfall on Monday resulted in significant flooding affecting thousands of homes and a number of fatalities were reported.

As the scenario continued, the emergency services started to look at how residential homes, hospitals and mobile home sites could be evacuated. The health service tested their resilience in the event of a national power outage.

By early afternoon, the heavy rain was said to have started clearing from central southern England.

Towards the end of the day, emergency responders in Wales were also brought into the scenario as the country started to experience some flooding on the ground and we simulated loss of power to 15,000 properties.

By the end of Monday's play, 45,000 people were affected by the simulated flooding.

Tuesday 8 November 2011

Tuesday's play continued on from Monday's scenario of surface water flooding as many rivers across the country began to burst their banks. Emergency organisations were told that the ground was virtually saturated and river catchments were filled to near capacity.

The heavy rain from Monday was said to cause surface water flooding in some areas. Further rain continued to fall and emergency responders were encouraged to react to a likelihood of a significant storm surge down the east coast later in the week.

During Tuesday, the story continued with 500 people being evacuated from a train in Oxfordshire. More were evacuated from Rhayader in Wales and three bridges were severely damaged in Shropshire.

The scenario saw floods continuing to affect the road network, the availability of fresh drinking water and food supplies. Local Authorities have had to think about how they would set up emergency rest centres in a number of places.

By the end of Tuesday's play, 45,000 properties and 120,000 people were said to be affected.

www.exercisewatermark.co.uk...

edit on 9-3-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Well If something big is going to happen at least we will be slightly prepared for it!

I agree with the op the Government are definitely in the know about something that is going to happen!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Check this out just for the next two days including today, if I posted the whole month's it would probably be removed for being excessively long...

Today, 9th March

Real time evacuation
Sutton on Sea

Community drop in event

WRVS Refreshments/Providing Meals
Louth

Exercise Gwyniad
Bala

Be Flood Aware
Woolwich Dockyard, London

Wells Next-The-Sea Emergency Response Exercise
Wells next The Sea

Great Yarmouth Floodgates closure
Great Yarmouth

Exercise Watermark Flood Response Event
Darlington

Sea Palling Floodgate closure
Sea Palling

Closure of defences within the Norfolk & Suffolk broads system
reedham

Be Prepared - What you need to know about flooding
Newcastle upon Tyne

FLOOD FAIR EXHIBITION
Stratford-upon-Avon

Operation Watermark
Nr Tamworth

10th March

Tattershall Lakes live flood rescue exercise
Lincolnshire

Flood simulation and Product Demonstration
Droitwich, Worcestershire

Kingston Flood Exercise

Exercise Enterprise
Kinmel Bay

Thames Barrier test closure and public event
London

Exercise Lagoon
Hutton

Merseyside Local Resilience Forum Community Awareness Event
Liverpool

Barton Town Council Community Emergency Exercise
Barton-upon-Humber

Hereford Flood Barrier Demonstration Day
Hereford

Essex RF Live Ex
Kelvedon

Flood plan table-top exercise
Dartmouth

There are a tonne of disaster scenarios going on over the next few days and then it narrows down to one or two per day.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimisticPessimist
I get the unshakable feeling they are withholding valuable information from the general public with regards to this latest "excercise" and it's relationship with the "white elephant in the room" that is the unpresidented terrestrial & extra-terrestrial changes now occurring.

I didn't see any relationship between the events and extra terrestrials. I don't think E.T. is an elephant anymore, if you want to pin the tail on the elephant, then it would be the withholding of documents from the public by either govt. or from what some think the private sector.

I might be wrong here, and I am not discrediting your opinion, but I didn't see the linkage.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by minigunner

Originally posted by OptimisticPessimist

I didn't see any relationship between the events and extra terrestrials. I don't think E.T. is an elephant anymore, if you want to pin the tail on the elephant, then it would be the withholding of documents from the public by either govt. or from what some think the private sector.

I might be wrong here, and I am not discrediting your opinion, but I didn't see the linkage.

haha, alien elephants!? I hope not!!!
No I meant "extra terrestrial" as in not happening on Earth. Solar System changes.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Wow, that's a lot of training excercises!
At least they can't be accused of not preparing people I suppose, as there still seems to be many who have absolutely no idea that things are changing.

I've been having a certain song go round my head for days now - "it's all just a little bit of history repeating".

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
i live in grimsby (uk) and they did one in the town centre and also at sutton on sea... i wonder if they know there is something going to happene ?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
New Madrid Fault is gonna rip America in half and send huge tsunamis across the Atlantic to the UK.
Don't flame me....it could happen!

Actually last time I was there, I went sailing down Norfolk way, there were diggers digging up massive amounts of land by the waterways, my Dad told me they were buiding something to prevent floods, should a major rise in sea level occur. Thats not to say that is what they were doing, that is just what he told me!

Honestly, I think it's all in vain, if you caught any major water catastrophe over there you haven't got much of a chance.

Remeber that they just spent a crap load of money last year on "earthquake preparedness" how often do you guys get an earthquake of any magnitude?

Fishy behaviour if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

Monday 7 November 2011

The scenario started on Monday where the country experienced heavy rain from Merseyside to Kent with some more extreme rainfall from Lancashire to Humberside and South West England to London.

Emergency responders in the capital were asked to react to the scenario of thousands of rail passengers becoming stuck at some of London's busiest railway stations. Flood water was also said to be causing problems on the M25, M11 and M12, which put the Highways Agency to the test.

The rainfall on Monday resulted in significant flooding affecting thousands of homes and a number of fatalities were reported.

As the scenario continued, the emergency services started to look at how residential homes, hospitals and mobile home sites could be evacuated. The health service tested their resilience in the event of a national power outage.

Reminds of the novel "Flood" by Richard Doyle (Published 2003) except in that the storm came from the North Sea down the east coast and created a surge up the Thames and a lot of destruction like the 1953 flood. In 1976 Richard Doyle wrote a disaster novel called "Deluge" about London flooding, this novel was set before the Thames barrier was constructed.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Im in the Midlands, nothing to report as yet, although i would ask ATS UK, where is the highest point to get away from the flood should things go ponto around here, thanks very much for any assistance and replys.

Icanseeatoms.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Could these drills be related to the 'super moon' event where the moon will get closer than ever to earth around the 19th March?

Apparently it could effect the tide and even seismic activity. It seems the 'experts' are playing down
the worst case scenario and branding some people 'lunar-tics' (Daily mail's awful pun, not mine!) who are predicting extreme weather from this event.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

I actually felt a tremor in Manchester last night and there was another at 9am today. Small Earthquakes do happen in the UK a couple of times a year but if many more are felt as we approach the super moon event It could indicate that there's some substance to the extreme weather predictions.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
i seen a report in the paper today stating that the Moon will be at it closest point next week, i wonder if this has anything to do with it,

I know The Sun, isnt the most reliable of papers but have a look

THE world could be in for a bumpy ride next week with an "extreme supermoon" predicted to cause weather chaos. The moon will pass just 221,567 miles away on March 19 - its closest for 18 years. Some amateur scientists warn it could trigger extreme conditions all over the world, from earthquakes to tsunamis. Previous supermoons - or "lunar perigees" - happened in 1955, 1974, 1992 and 2005. Each year had extreme weather events. TV weatherman John Kettley said: "A moon can't cause a geological event like an earthquake, but it will cause a difference to the tide. "If that combines with certain weather conditions, then that could cause a few problems for coastal areas."

Link to article
dailymail.co.uk

Wee Mad
edit on 9/3/2011 by weemadmental because: dr hammond you beat me to it !!!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
www.imdb.com...

As someone commented, seems similar to the scenario in the book / movie Flood

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Icanseeatoms

Atop The Malverns would be a safe place. I'm in Worcestershire and although my house is safe from flooding (Unless it's an ELE) back in 2007 when we had The Great Flood 2 miles from home the road was flooded and driving steady I got through but there were already about 20 abandoned cars. That was at 1PM and I've never been so glad to get home.

The Great Flood Of 2007

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join