It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Walker considering union concessions, emails show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

After three weeks of large protests, Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker appears to be willing to make concessions on his budget repair bill, according to an email sent to Democratic state Senator Bob Jauch.

The email, along with others from the governor's office, were obtained by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel through an open-records request.

According to the latest email sent to Sen. Jauch, Gov. Walker's aides offered to amend his bill so that it would no longer limit public employee union bargaining over wages, mandatory overtime, bonuses, and hazardous duty pay.

Apparently someone got to Gov. Walker and injected a little common sense into his ideology of union busting.

The fight over public employee's union bargaining rights may have harmed Wisconsin Republicans chances at re-election.

If voters in Wisconsin could repeat the 2010 gubernatorial election, the majority would support defeated Democrat Tom Barrett over Walker, according to a report by Public Policy Polling.

It's to early to tell if this will have long term consequences but as I recall, I said the blow back from this debacle will only serve to hurt the GOP.

www.rawstory.com...
edit on 9-3-2011 by whaaa because: code iii

edit on Wed Mar 9 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: EXTERNAL quote tags to replace quote tags IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

According to the latest email sent to Sen. Jauch, Gov. Walker's aides offered to amend his bill so that it would no longer limit public employee union bargaining over wages, mandatory overtime, bonuses, and hazardous duty pay.

That is exactly what happened. The bill was amended to take out that part. Then the part taken out, the part that would limit public employee union bargaining over wages, mandatory overtime, bonuses, and hazardous duty pay, was passed..

Help me if I'm wrong.

whaaa, when I say my prayers tonight, I'm going to ask God why He told Gov Walker to be a gov and beat up on American workers. I'm going to ask God why He hates Wisconsin so much. You don't suppose He's not a Cheesehead?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Oops!

Too late for the unions to get concessions now.

The Republicans just pulled and end run and decoupled the collective bargaining ban from the financial budget legislation and passed it - since that kind of bill does not need a democrat.

Much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth in Madison (and ATS) tonight.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Apparently someone got to Gov. Walker and injected a little common sense into his ideology of union busting.

No, the Republican more likely played a little "rope-a-dope" shell game with the AWOL Wisconsin dems.

Is your concession under this shell, or one of these others?

Doh! It isn't under any of them!

edit on 3/9/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Seems that didn't happen.

Wis. GOP bypasses Dems, passes bill.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree
Seems that didn't happen.

Wis. GOP bypasses Dems, passes bill.

Let the Law suits begin. Apparently there is a question as to the legality of Gov. Scotts actions.

www.counterpunch.org...

edit on 10-3-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

According to Assembly Rule 76 (6), “During a roll call vote, any member may raise the point of order that a member appears to be absent from the chamber but is shown as voting according to the roll call display boards. If the presiding officer rules the point of order ‘well taken’, the vote of the absent member may not be recorded.”

I think they would need to be present in order to raise a "Point of Order".

From Robert's rules, not sure if this applies to Senate rules:

Point of Order: Infraction of the rules, or improper decorum in speaking. Must be raised immediately after the error is made

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Not anymore. They removed all of the amendments to the spending bill the collective bargaining was attached to. Becase they removed it, and it did not deal with anything monetary on behalf of the Government, the bill passed both houses today and is its way to be signed by the Govenor.

Needless to say Democrats are pissed.

They are saying its a violation of the sunshine / open meeting law.
The Republicans apparently ran it by legal and they said it was doable...

So now we wait for round 3 - The courts..

top topics

join