It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mike Starr, Alice In Chains Bassist Found Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
blogs.wsj.com...

Mike Starr, the original bassist for the band Alice in Chains, was found dead at home in Salt Lake City. The police found the body of the 44 year old but were unable to confirm the cause of death.

Though cause of death is currently unconfirmed it's not unreasonable to suspect heroin as a very likely cause. Though recent TV appearances seemed to indicate he was feeling a lot of guilt about Staley's death, my wife pointed out this could have been accidental overdose: you can't guarantee the quality or potency of street drugs.

This brings up an interesting question. Though I don't advocate the use of any drugs, let alone something as extreme as heroin, would tight control and legalization of such substances reduce deaths and crimes? Quality and potency could be assured, the cost of the substance would be reduced - thereby reducing associated crime, we'd reduce skyrocketing prison populations, and the drug(s) could be taxed with funds used to promote and/or support user rehabilitation.

Just a thought. I hate seeing more and more of our entertainers and celebrities dying from poisons sold on the streets.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Yes.

Finally, Drug Crazy points toward possible solutions to the quagmire of our failed drug wars, based on the successful European model of a medically-based system of regulated narcotics prescriptions. Gray contends that the success of such programs in Britain, Holland and elsewhere has been suppressed -- and supporters of such programs methodically maligned -- by "Drug War" advocates in the United States.

A book called "Drug Crazy"
link to their web page

Explained something very interesting about the Heroin clinics in the U.K.

Apparently people only get others "hooked" on drugs
when they live in an unstable environment where tomorrows fix is uncertain.
Thus the more users, the greater chance of finding a dose.

When England allowed users to register and get clean, safe, doses
the most amazing thing happened.

Heroin use dropped off.
The old users were found lecturing the young and curious.
"You DON'T want any part of this," things like that.

This solution has been completely suppressed in the world media.

David Grouchy

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
blogs.wsj.com...

Mike Starr, the original bassist for the band Alice in Chains, was found dead at home in Salt Lake City. The police found the body of the 44 year old but were unable to confirm the cause of death.

Though cause of death is currently unconfirmed it's not unreasonable to suspect heroin as a very likely cause. Though recent TV appearances seemed to indicate he was feeling a lot of guilt about Staley's death, my wife pointed out this could have been accidental overdose: you can't guarantee the quality or potency of street drugs.

This brings up an interesting question. Though I don't advocate the use of any drugs, let alone something as extreme as heroin, would tight control and legalization of such substances reduce deaths and crimes? Quality and potency could be assured, the cost of the substance would be reduced - thereby reducing associated crime, we'd reduce skyrocketing prison populations, and the drug(s) could be taxed with funds used to promote and/or support user rehabilitation.

Just a thought. I hate seeing more and more of our entertainers and celebrities dying from poisons sold on the streets.

If you were to know the amount, quantity and 'QUALITY' of a drug, then unless you intended to die, it's unlikely.

All prohibition does is make the quality unknown, making the user unsure.

It doesn't stop use.. It will never stop use.

Sure I can buy 109 bottles of vodka and kill myself, but I know my limits. You don't get that luxury with illegal drugs.

Makes me so angry when people blame drugs on overdose - it's those bastards causing it with their prohibition agenda - making it illegal so no one know the amount they are getting... grr

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
Makes me so angry when people blame drugs on overdose - it's those bastards causing it with their prohibition agenda - making it illegal so no one know the amount they are getting... grr

That is an excellent point, however, we also have to consider that legal drugs are the cause of overdoses also. But with something so powerful as heroin, having an uncontrolled market will almost certainly lead to unnecessary deaths and avoidable crimes.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Loved alice in chains. Werent the same when Layne died

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Band releases a statement on Mike Starr's death

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
A sad day for sure, and it seems that Mike could not rid himself of his personal sadness either. We have to be careful absorbing the angst of this world for artistic reflection, sometimes the water can be too deep, and one may not be able to "swim back to shore and grow a new shell for everyone to see."
Glad I got to see these guys back in the 90's, what a great band!
RIP Mike....

Peace,
spec

new topics

top topics

join