It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superstitions from around the globe.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
My purpose with this thread is to collect superstitions from all around the world. I want to hear your superstition, and i would also like to hear who believes in superstitions and who not.

Things that might have happenned to you, because you chose not to "listen" to the superstition or even good fortune because of a superstition.

I know of a few, i think the most common ones, but i would like to hear all the different superstitions out there.

Here is a few: Walking under a ladder = bad luck
Black cat running across your path = bad luck
Tying left shoe lace first = good luck
Bird dumping on your head = good luck

These are just some. Please feel free to add more. I personally believe, that in some superstitions there is a grain of truth. But most llikely, we make our own good or bad luck. So it might just be chance.

VvV

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I always wondered why it's considered good luck to have a bird dump on you, I consider myself lucky to have never experienced this

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I don't believe in superstitions, I believe that there is a scientific or logical explanation for everything.

-Don't walk under a ladder: This one is obvious: the ladder could fall on you and hurt you. Not really a superstition, just common sense

-Bird dumping on you: Someone probably just made that up to make their friend not feel so bad after being dumped on by a bird

-Opening an umbrella indoors: Could knock something over, or poke someone's eye out with the spike at the end

-Black cat: Witches were thought to have kept black cats...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Here are some from Greece:

-Covering the mirrors when a person dies
-Breaking a mirror-7 years bad luck
-Give a person the soap in hand-bad luck(i don't know why,my grandfather used to say that)
-Never cut nails after sundown-i think it's bad luck
-If you find a key on Monday morning-good luck
-If you spill coffee-you will get money
-if a baby pee all over you-good luck
-If wine is spilled on a wedding dress is bad luck for the couple
-A newly wed couple mustn't attend a funeral-bad luck

Here in Greece we are full of superstitions.If i remember more i will write them.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

Thank you for the input.

Much appreciated. There are some there i have never heard. Nice.

VvV

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Most of the ones I know have already been said...cept one

If you find a bee in the pool(still alive) or in the house... don't kill it cause its bad luck... killing bees is bad luck.

Don't ask me why,though.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Stepping in dog poop brings good luck... so I have heard.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by willie9696
I always wondered why it's considered good luck to have a bird dump on you, I consider myself lucky to have never experienced this

How have you managed to avoid having a bird dump on you? It's happened to me many times.. (Granted, the city where I live has trees everywhere...( I can always hear birds though I can seldom see them)

Vicky

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by lostsock
Stepping in dog poop brings good luck... so I have heard.

I wish that was true, I would have won the lottery, have my own island and a water fountain that produces sun drop.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I've heard that having the smoke from a campfire follow is good luck and also that the smoke will follow the beautiful. This doesn't make much sense to me, but I heard it a lot while living in Louisiana.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I know in aw enforcement and security some believe if you use the word "quiet" ie "i'ts a quiet night tonight we havnt had any issues" then you can pretty much count on the fact that your night will go to crap soon. and this actually seems to be true

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I am not superstitious except I never kill spiders because I think it is bad luck.
Must be a Southern thing.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I reckon all the ones to do with crap were just people that either got crapped on or stepped in it and were getting mocked by their friends so they just made it up like na man didn't you know that's good luck? but really they're just covering it up coz theyr embarrassed hahaha

But um dam Some Samoan friends of mine told me a lot of the superstitions and beliefs they have in the islands but I can't remember them all.

All I can remember right now is Don'y whistle at night because if you hear a whistle back it's a ghost or bad spirit, and to cover your mirrors at night.

All their superstitions have good stories that explain them too

edit on 18-12-2011 by doodles40 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Oh and it is also a Maori superstition that if a fantail flys into your house, it's a sign that somebody you know has died or is going to die

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Not sure where I learned of these, but if your right ear is burning someone is saying something good about you and if it's your left ear someone's talking bad about you. Similar one where if your right eye twitches you will see a friend and if it's your left eye you will see a foe.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phantom traveller
Here are some from Greece:

-Covering the mirrors when a person dies
-Breaking a mirror-7 years bad luck
-Give a person the soap in hand-bad luck(i don't know why,my grandfather used to say that)
-Never cut nails after sundown-i think it's bad luck
-If you find a key on Monday morning-good luck
-If you spill coffee-you will get money
-if a baby pee all over you-good luck
-If wine is spilled on a wedding dress is bad luck for the couple
-A newly wed couple mustn't attend a funeral-bad luck

Here in Greece we are full of superstitions.If i remember more i will write them.

I know this one is because it is said that only the dead have their nails and hair cut at night.

top topics

join