It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Primary school pupils exposed to 'explicit' sex advice

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk...

this is SOOO scary...im speechless...they REALLY are doing it...they are creating what people like alex jones ahs said they are creating..

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Slow down.... take a deep breath... If I understood it correctly this is just simply a List of Recommended materials to schools which said schools are required to have a sex education policy in place. They also have stated that parents will have the option to review materials and weed out anything they personally feel is out of line or too mature. BUT in today's world of children having children and 11 being the average age of virginity loss, I personally believe some EDUCATION is necessary. While I haven't read ANY of the material noted, I think if we don't tell our kids that masturbation is a normal, private, appropriate thing then we create a stigma about sex.

Also, preaching abstinence as the bible thumper's would have you do HAS NOT WORKED YET FOR POPULATION CONTROL

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I think this is a good thing, The UK has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in western Europe. Our prudish attitude and knee jerk reactions to things like this is an explanation of why we have the teenage pregnancy problem and why so many kids are getting STD's. we need to understand having sex isnt about to go out of fashion and if these measures turn around our appalling record on teenage pregnancy then it has to be better than the situation we have before?
edit on 9-3-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Also, preaching abstinence as the bible thumper's would have you do HAS NOT WORKED YET FOR POPULATION CONTROL

It was never meant for population control. The stigma is created to make everybody feel like a humble sinner, to make them believe all their (perfectly normal) thoughts and feelings are completely wrong and bad, to make them full of fear and expecting punishment for their "sins" all the time and to make them feel like they constantly owe compensation to their "god" (represented by the church and other authorities). Its meant to control the people, to maintain power over them.
edit on 9-3-2011 by prof7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Why is this scary? What possible reason could this instil a sense of fearfulness in you?

Personally I think this should be judged on its efficacy and from what I've understood from similarly frank and explicit education elsewhere it works. That is to say that it has the social effect of reducing teenage pregnancies and STD rates.

The fact that this report comes from a group that has the stated aim of pushing a religious agenda suggests to me that they may not my priorities.

Ultimately I don’t think anyone can come to a conclusion on the specifics presented in the article as it may lack a lot of context and these things will, of course, not be taught without a teacher present.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MrEuphoric1

I agree.

School is about educating young ones in the facts of life.

We don't know the full context of how the subject will be covered. It seems fine with me so far, yet there needs to be emphasis on pregnancy, STD's and safe sex, for kids before they hit puberty.

Kids books do handle subject matter on things like death and killing, it's just phrased in a way that seems less frightenng. Look at Little Red Riding Hood. Evil lol

My sex education at school was laughable because by the time we were "taught" it, we already knew most things about sex from each other anyway. There were alot of things that just weren't true so allowing kids to know the truth is a good idea.

A friends kid once ran into their bedroom whilst they were"skipping" and he got upset as he thought Dad was hurting Mum.

edit on 9-3-2011 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Kids are bombarded with 'sex' from a young age these days via tv and movies. Whilst I don't agree that 5yr old needs to know about the joys of sex I do think that the basics of 'birds and bees' isn't an issue. My 7yr old daughter already knows what periods are for instance as she has seen me use sanitary products (when you're a parent using the bathroom is a spectator sport....) and asked about them. I explained what they were and what they are for. She hasn't yet asked about how babies are made but if she does I will be honest with her. I also have a 4yr old daughter who was present at the time of the discussion on periods.

It's about being age appropriate. I don't see anything in that article that says schools are actually using the materials that the Christian Institute says they are. The government has even stated that they don't actively suggest materials.

Also this part:

Another book – “Let’s Talk About Sex” – is recommended for pupils 10 and over in some areas. According to the institute, it features a chapter on homosexuality, with the line: “As children are growing up, boys become curious about other boys and girls become curious about other girls. They may look and even touch each other’s bodies. This is a normal kind of exploring.”

Is true. It IS normal to explore. It doesn't mean they are exploring homosexuality in a sexual sense. It means they are exploring another human beings body of the same sex in a way to understand their OWN bodies. It is not 'promoting' homosexuality. It is actually making it less confusing for child. They understand that it doesn't make them wrong or gay.

The research was carried out by the Christian Institute. It is bound to be bias.
Education is the way forward if we are to slow/stop teen pregnancys, STD's etc It's no good saying "Don't do this". It is much more effective to explain the consequences. Many schools bring teen mums in to talk to other teens and tell them the cold hard facts of how it has changed their life.

Sorry for the ramble. I just find the accusations baseless. It is fear mongering of the worst kind. Using OUR kids to promote their christian agenda.

Oh and before anyone gets all pedantic and starts demanding I produce 'evidence' don't bother. This is my opinion which I am fully entitled to, as are the Christian Institute. After all, where is THEIR evidence?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Sex is a wonderful and also dangerous thing. The more educated children are about it the better.

Sorry for the short reply.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Sorry but i cant help but think people are over reacting over this.

The reality of this is that one child from any of these schools will find out some explicit information about sex from elsewhere and share it with their fellow students in the playground. It happened to me very early and I didn't understand any of it.

I would feel much safer knowing that my child was learning about sex and everything involved from a responsible adult rather than a fellow child who over heard a conversation his big brother was having.

Most of the kids will have the lesson and be shocked...and then immediately go outside and forget about the lesson because they were having to much fun pulling the legs off of a spider!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Has anyone read the article? I'm all for teaching kids sex education before they start bumping and grinding. HOWEVER, there is a certain age which is too young.

From the article:

Children as young as five are being exposed to "shocking" sex education books in primary schools, according to research.

See that? As young as FIVE. I have an eight year old, the thing on her mind is Polly Pockets and swim classes. Not:

subjects such as orgasms and foreplay.

We need to sit back and really rethink what they're proposing here. I'm guessing around twelve would be a good age to start. There will always be the deviants that start having sex far too early. And I believe this is the fault of the parents, not the school. And to lump every kid in with those deviants (I'm a deviant too btw) is wrong.

And this from the article:

One book for children aged just five contains cartoon images of a couple having sexual intercourse and another compares sex to skipping.

I mean really? It's just NOT needed at this age. For starters, kids that young couldn't get pregnant no matter how much they tried. I don't really care what anyone has to say, we're really screwing up the children here. Just like the idiots in Oslo, Norway. They wanted preschoolers to finger each other and "explore" themselves in a sexual manner openly during preschool.

It's utter BS and I feel that some of the parents today shouldn't be parents at all.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

Yes but this 'research' is not backed up with evidence. So these are basically just opinions of a group of people with an agenda of their own to push. I have never met anyone whos children are being shown such stuff at such a young age. Never. Even before I had my own kids. I think most schools have the sense not to even try even if such material is available.
edit on 9-3-2011 by ScorpioRising because: missed out words... must calm down

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Yeah, the orgasms and foreplay should probably be left until later.
Actually the foreplay should left until about the age of 15, but I remember being taught about male orgasms at about age 11 in the fifth grade.

Which is lucky because when "you know what" came out the next year I knew that there wasn't a serious problem with me.

Apologies If that's too much info.
edit on 9-3-2011 by BoneMosaic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by BoneMosaic

Yeah, the orgasms and foreplay should probably be left until later.

Orgy-porgy, Ford and fun,
Kiss the girls and make them One.
Boys at one with girls at peace;
Orgy-porgy gives release.

Aldous Huxley, Brave New World 1932
en.wikiquote.org...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by BoneMosaic

It depends how it's taught and in the context it's put across.

The word foreplay, will just be a word to a kid. They will understand that foreplay is part of sex that adults do, but I can't see there being "Joy of Sex" like illustrations with graphic descriptions of different ways of doing it.

Like the subject of death and killing.
think of how many kids books end up with the "evil" character getting killed.

I must add, I'd like to see more emphasis on abstinence, self respect and the reasons why those are good things too.

i guess the whole subject needs to be seen as a whole in order to make the rght judgement on this one.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by prof7

Yes, I am aware. I was using the term "population Control" more in an expression of most beliefs that the world is over populated and this is a direct result to the young age of pregnancies happening now.........thus stemming from the "Only preach Abstinence" effort.

I should have been more clear

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   

We need to sit back and really rethink what they're proposing here. I'm guessing around twelve would be a good age to start.

You’re guessing? On what basis should this guess be given any merit?

There is actual research into the subject of sex education and the decision about what should be taught is generally taken by people with a great deal of education and experience in the field; what makes you think your “guess” should have any meaning to anyone here or elsewhere?

Sorry to be harsh but this really winds me up, especially because you are so blatant in your wilful ignorance when you say “I don't really care what anyone has to say”. Thankfully these decisions are made by people who are actually qualified to do so and aren’t based on guesses.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

Probably because that is the average age when the hormone bombardment begins? Oh my bad, I thought you were trying to say that was too early lol.
edit on Wed, 09 Mar 2011 05:50:13 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JonoEnglish

Exactly.

Those should be the main focuses and the acknowledgment that sex and the human body are a normal thing......stay informed.....No means No.....and talk to a trusted loved one or parent...yada yada yada. All things that I wish I had been told as I had the same "education" u did. Came in a one hour class in junior high when all you really learned from it was that your privates could turn out looking like something out of a zombie movie!!

And btw.....I walked in on my dad and his girlfriend when I was twelve only because the sounds made me think they were "fighting" (which was not the norm in our house) and I subsequently walked around confused for three days. So i know the consequences of No Communication about Sex.
edit on 9-3-2011 by MrEuphoric1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
The problem, as I see it, with this explicit sex education in schools is that it is inappropriate for young children to be exposed to this kind of material. Do we teach our children to drive when they are under the age of 17. No. and why? Because it is ILLEGAL. It is illegal because driving and driving badly has BAD consequences and the children cannot afford insurance, petrol, a car etc. So why teach them about an act that is ILLEGAL and has serious consequences for themselves and others?

I think we need to consider WHY children are being distracted and sexualised in this manner in our schools. We need to look at the people whose idea this is and ignore their CRB checks,as CRB checks only show that a person has not been caught ..... yet.

Then we need to ask them why, have them psychologically analysed, find out who is paying them to corrupt our children and then make sure they never work in education again.

Once a child's innocence is stolen........it remains stolen. Who would want to distract them from Maths, English, French, Science etc, etc, etc and ruin their education for life.

Sex is NOT a game for children. They have no job, no education, no money and cannot afford the consequences of sex which is often bringing new life into the world.

So, apart from basic biology NO SEX should be taught in schools and those who try to push the agenda need 'investigating' and shaming because anyone in their RIGHT mind knows that there is NO NEED AT ALL for children to be exposed to sexual materials!

Afterall, flying a jumbo jet is great fun............but we don't allow children to do or learn it!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
This isn't anything I didn't know of when I was 5-8. I never got anything censored while my Christian parents tried to engrave into me the concept of fornication being a horrible, horrible, sin, from as young of an age they could. This included graphic things like bestiality and homosexuality(No less a sin to her).

I don't follow her beliefs about what she tried to get me thinking, but I don't think any damage was done. Until a kid hits puberty, and those body functions and feelings kick in, it's nothing more than words to them, words they'll understand later when it's needed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join