It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stars Locations are Uncertain new break through throws curveball

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Nice original article, but as they say in that -

While this may be of no consequence today, Lakhtakia believes it has important implications for when space travel is common.

So how about we worry about this just before the launch of the first warp-drive.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
So, on that notion, a Planetary object (Niburu?) could sneak up on us, it's visible light spectrum hidden?

Does this "lensing" effect the complete light spectrum, say, infrared to gamma rays?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Village Idiot

And congratulations... the second i read the OP i wondered how many posts there would be before a nibiru/planet x/wormwood question. This is talking about light from very very very(repeat to fade) distant objects being warped by other objects between us and it... not something that according to doomsayers is already in our solar system...

I love this site, i really do

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I always had a gut feeling that red shift measurements alone were not an accurate predictor, and I been interested in Astronomy for over 40 years.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Can't believe they just started question ing this. The amount of times I sat down and said..."I wonder what the sky must be like NOW".

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by lammypie999

Well.... someone had to bring it up, so it may as well be me, and since no one takes me serious anyway.... subject bought up and buried nicely

RIP Niburu

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
the implications for the really big questions are
if we can use this technology to display the redshift blue shift in a lab
can the universe recreate the same effect naturally?
IF the answer is yes then
the missing mass of the universe could be explained without dark matter
the rotational speeds of universes that are "too fast" could be explained
the location of stars and galaxies could be in question

THE BIG BANG WOULD BE IN QUESTION
dark matter and dark energy would not be required

xploder

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
IT'S NIBIRU. haha just kidding

So does this mean, as we look up at the stars they may in no way be where we are looking at them? To me that is a mind blowing concept.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

But yes, you are correct.

We will be some time reconsidering the analog nature of reality as it is juxtaposed to the digital way we insist on measuring it.

As distance increases, certainty must naturally decrease. As magnitude reaches infinity, certainty must naturally vanish to zero.
edit on 9-3-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Reply to post by

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
C is constant, no matter how fast you are going or what you are looking through. Part of the physical nature of matter.

I pose–flaw of mathematical hypotheses by the author, or a flagrant disingenuous twist of data analysis.

My whistle blows woo.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by laterallateral
I guess this explains how two objects apparently residing within the same galactic body can appear to be red shifted by thousands of km/sec from eachother.
edit on 9-3-2011 by laterallateral because: (no reason given)

that is a great example of what could be occouring and woulnt require any dark matter or dark energy.
if i am understanding correctly the universe as we know may be a an image of an image
our interpretation of what the images acually represent will have to change.

i have given up on trying to list the individual things this COULD impact instead im focusing on the direct implications of it being confirmed in galactic scales.

xploder

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
C is constant, no matter how fast you are going or what you are looking through. Part of the physical nature of matter.

I pose–flaw of mathematical hypotheses by the author, or a flagrant disingenuous twist of data analysis.

My whistle blows woo.

the question you should be asking is not weather light in our system is a constant
but is that constant the same as another galaxy
and what happens if they are a different value?

and how would that look like to an observer?.........................
from another galaxies point of reference
C?

xploder

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
C is the speed of light in a vacuum, and it is constant by DEFINITION! So it's ridiculous to question whether it is constant. However, the OP seems to be questioning whether our line of sight to distant galaxies is truly a vacuum. We can see the diffraction of light in our atmosphere, but just barely. As far as we can tell, intergalactic space is millions of times less dense than our atmosphere. It is unlikely that intergalactic gas significantly affects our view. Gravity lensing can be seen in a number of directions, but those represent a small fraction of the big picture.

The main reason we don't know where galaxies are is because we have no accurate way to cross check the redshift data. Type Ia supernovas give only a rought estimate of distance, and redshift due to local motion cannot be distinguished from redshift due to expansion of space. And, of course, we have no way to detect motion perpendicular to our line of sight.

In my own model, expansion of space enlarges the cosmic voids (bubbles), increasing the distance between adjacent galaxies. We don't really know what forces maintain the integrity of the walls of galaxies surrounding those bubbles. I postulate that those walls of galaxies can be stretched only so far before they pop. When a bubble wall pops, first a gap opens near the middle. Then the galaxies around the gap feel a stronger pull away from the gap and toward the surrounding clusters. After a billion or so years, the galaxies of the ruptured wall collide with the surrounding clusters. The energy and momentum of those galaxies is conserved by radiating pressure waves thru the cosmos. Those pressure waves are the dark energy of the next larger-scale universe. Our dark energy comes from popping bubbles in the cosmic foam of the next smaller-scale universe.

We should see many popping bubble walls in our 3D map of the universe. The galaxies on the near side of a popping wall are moving toward us relative to comoving space; the far side is moving away. This makes the near side appear closer than it is, and the far side farther than it is. Unfortunately, we cannot verify that those walls are popping because we merely interpret redshift as proportional to distance. The SDSS map is a map of redshift, and we pretend that it is a map of distance.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Wait for my post. I am a avid astronomer. I can tell you from the top of my head any star formation shift's are due to the Earths rotations. Hence the change of seasons where the Earth tilts it's axis.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
ATS is now a forum where the governments of the world can estimate the wit's of their slaves.
:flame

This image from the OP was already used in a main topic from someone else.
edit on 9-3-2011 by ResearchMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
LOL

Don't you just love it when things get turned on there head like this, when science admits they still really know F all and the closest thing to the truth is nearly always closer to what the conspiracy nuts have been saying all along,

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Hrmmm this seems to be an article from 2004

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
There might be something to this. The message that I'm getting is that we really don't know, or have any real clue, about the *actual* location of stars because of a host of effects between us and the stars. Basically, everything we thought we knew is (or could be) completely off because of refraction, reflection, distortion, gravitational lenses and who-knows-what-else...

Two of the major players in modern astronomy are suddenly out of the picture: distance and placement. In other words (the big I.E.)... No matter what optical (infrared, radio, etc.) evidence we have about an object (star, whatever)... we really don't know where it truly is because LIGHT is like a pinball in a cosmic pinball machine, bouncing here, there and everywhere?

Again. There could be something to this. However, what this really sounds like is a PREEMPTIVE ATTACK on optical observations of controversial nature that might happen in the near future. Even NASA came out recently with theories about enormous planetary objects on slanted, elliptical orbits at the edge of our own solar system, seeming to confirm suspicions about Planet X, Nibiru, Wormwood, etc.

Now, because of this new ***THEORY***... if/when something strange appears in the heavens headed toward Earth, TPTB (The Powers That Be) can use threads like this one to say, "Well, we really don't know if this object is as close as it seems because light behaves like a pinball in a pinball machine and can bounce all over the place. You see, it seems to be heading right toward our precious planet, but don't be alarmed because it might actually be headed AWAY from us due to distortions, etc..."

It's the classic preemptive move in a classic PSYOPS (Psychological Operations) program geared toward preparing people to remain calm when there will be VISUAL EVIDENCE of something startling in the heavens. I recommend that we look MORE into the sky with our telescopes after reading this thread. This is like someone saying that the dampness you experience is not due to the water that just landed on you. With all due respect, this thread is telling us NOT TO BELIEVE WHAT WE SEE.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Science finds out, yet again, that they don't know what they thought they knew...

Pretty funny stuff.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join