It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Images Reveal How Mars Got Its Elongated Scar..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
An interesting article to read:
Images reveal how Mars got its elongated scar

The crater is around 78km long, and ranges from 10km to 25km wide and with a depth of 2km. Pretty large, huh? Impact craters are generally round because the projectiles that create them push into the ground before the shockwave of the impact can explode outwards. So the mystery comes to why it's elongated?

The clue comes from the surrounding blanket of material, thrown out in the initial impact. This ‘ejecta blanket’ is shaped like a butterfly’s wings, with two distinct lobes. This hints that two projectiles, possibly halves of a once-intact body, slammed into the surface here.

In the crater itself, there are three deeper areas that could be evidence for more than two projectiles. In addition, a second elongated crater lies to the north-northwest. It can be seen in the wider contextual image and is in line with the one seen here, reinforcing the notion that these structures were the result of a train of projectiles.

Clues about Martian Life..

In the early 1980s, scientists proposed that elongated impact craters were formed by incoming chains of orbital debris following trajectories that decayed with time. As the debris spiraled downwards, it eventually struck the planet at shallow angles, gouging out the elongated craters.This particular ejecta blanket contains many smaller craters, indicating that the original formed a relatively long time ago and then itself become a target.

In addition, there are several small channels on the blanket, suggesting that the strike took place into a surface rich in volatiles, perhaps even water, that were melted by the heat of impact and flowed away. Water is essential for life as we know it, and evidence of water on Mars could help astrobiologists understand if the planet was once habitable for living organisms.

And that's not it...Phobos will be slamming into Mars after a few billion of years, causing it to break up and therefore cause new chains across the surface.

So that's one mystery of Mars cleared up...now to the many more..

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

Hey thanx for the post and pic!! I am alway to lazy to look at all the Mars pics, there are so many cool ones. B itchin dude, keep em coming

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackPoison94
So that's one mystery of Mars cleared up...now to the many more..
I wouldn't say it's cleared up, they apparently are still clueless about how many projectiles were involved in forming that. When they can answer that, then I'd agree it's cleared up.

My opinion is there's no way it was only 2 projectiles, as there's no ridge in the middle like I'd expect if that were the case.

However the multiple projectile theory is supported by what we saw happen in 1994 with Shoemaker-Levy 9, where the impactor was fragmented into a long train:

www2.jpl.nasa.gov...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0340487caa66.gif[/atsimg]

I could see something analogous to that causing a long stretched out looking crater, though they'd have to be closer together than those fragments were, which is certainly possible.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

i completely agree with you..the of the crater is flat..to me its still 1 object was involved in the damage..not a direct impact though...very very strange scar

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

While that impact may have kicked up some dust, the late astronomer Tom Van Fandern ("Dark Matter, Missing Planets and New Comets") wrote in 1993 that the equatorial scar of the Valles Marineris was caused by a body crashing into the surface at a shallow angle. He went on to suggest that would have been the end of Mars as a living planet. We can further that hypothesis and explain other scars that are located fairly well along that line of trajectory could be parts of that original body striking the surface again as they "bounce" around the planet.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Yeah I always thought about an extreme angle or a glancing blow that came in @ 30% or less.
What do I know?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I'm gonna be that guy who says that craterization is not always caused by impact and electrical forces should be more closely paid attention to. Anyone else noticed how many six or eight sided craters exist on mars? meteor impact is chaotic, not organized.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Don't believe the hype!

This is an electric universe; not a gravitational one. Those scars were caused by such forces.

www.disclose.tv...

www.holoscience.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 9-3-2011 by existenz99 because: broken youtube vid

top topics

join