It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travelling

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Reversing the flow... or traversing the flow backwards...

Time travel into the past should be possible. We often think of time as being unalterable. This may very well be true... however time observation in the past should be entirely possible... traveling there should be just as possible.

The problem is - in yet another metaphor I am making up here... if time is like a river and it only has one flowing direction... depending on your universal view of time - anyway

Time travel would be akin to making a boat while in the middle of the river flowing the opposite of the way you want to... it is difficult at best but perhaps possible. With the components built you risk catching more of the flow than you want before you can establish any form of movement against the flow.

Using a method of Locks and Dams you can also control the flow for your general area and use that method to jump to another river or slow down the flow in one small area. Of course this would have to be done in three dimensions as time is not a flat surfaced river.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
So, you wanna travel through time. Sure!

All you need is the location of every single particle in the universe at the moment you want to re-enter space-time. Uh oh, you don't have that?

You see, every particle in the universe is in motion. Every single one. The earth is spinning, and revolving around the sun. The sun is also revolving, in fact the whole galaxy is. When you look up at night and see stars, they're not just sitting there. They're in motion, but relative to us, so it might appear like they haven't moved. But they have.

So, let's say you "leave" spacetime, using whatever made-up scientific gadget or metaphysical process you wanna come up with. Fine. Let's say you wanna go back to, oh, the Stone Age and study those people. Cool beans.

But where was the Earth then? Where was the Milky Way in relation to all the other celestial bodies out there? In order to find out where the earth was, you'd have to know where all the bodies in the Milky Way were. But they're in motion with other bodies too, so you'd have to know where those were at the time.

Then you have "cosmic drift" or "expansion" or whatever else you wanna call it. It appears as though the visible universe is expanding in some way. So you have to account for that in your equations. You'd have to know the rate of expansion, precisely, and of course that would require knowledge of all the bodies in the visible universe.

So, ya. You'd need to know where all the particles in the universe were to calculate where your destination will be before you get there. Or you run the risk of ending up in a vacuum. Or a rock.

Good luck!

~Aura~
edit on 17-3-2011 by PrincessAura because: Code Fix

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Yeah that was discussed in a previous post. And no you dont need to know every particle just local large objects that may impact you shortly after your trip forward or backward. Micro particles should in theory be displaced by your appearance into local space time. Anything to contribute to the theories of time travel or was that it? Make no mistake it is very likely that several gov are in fact working on this since the fifties at least. Loads of cash still slipping through the budgetary cracks even in today's economy. It's not all military spending.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Patrice Chaplin is a writer and playwright. She has written over 25 books.
www.patricechaplin.com...
Her novel Siesta became a film starring Jodie Foster and Isabella Rossellini. As a Bohemian in Paris she spent time with Jean Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir. Married to Charlie Chaplin’s son Michael, in Hollywood she worked with Lauren Bacall, Miles Davis, and Salvador Dali. She claims in her books "Secrets of Girona" and "The Portal" that she traveled into the past through a portal on the top of Mount Canigou in France as part of an initiation by a secret Kabbalistic society of whom Berenger Sauniere, the priest at Rennes-le-Chateau who mysteriously became very wealthy, creating a historical mystery that her research has now solved. She describes her journey and experiences in her book "The Portal".

Given her background, this is a highly significant story that needs careful evaluation.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Are the dynamics and technologies mentioned in the book of interest to time travel? If that is the case then I plan on sticking to a previous posters comment on the flux capacitor before a mysterious portal on a mountain.

Sorry edited this cause its 2 am and im a moron at this hour...
edit on 18-3-2011 by ziplogan because: Sleepiness makes me stupid

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Sorry just re-read your post just now. So please ignore my previous comment... I skim too much sometimes and missed your point. I would like to strike what I said previously and just say that unless she is now head of the cult that showed her the portal - then I find it unlikely they would let something like that out - she would have been killed and her book never published.

If she experienced this I would imagine drugs were involved... powerful hallucinogens were common among the creative types back then. I am not the OP writer but I am very much interested in technology and science as a way into time traveling... not so much smoke and mirrors and absinthe and stone portals on mountain tops...

Again sorry for my dismissive tone... in my previous post. I am sure it is an interesting book.
Given that natural nuclear reactors exist - perhaps a natural time portal exists too....

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
You guys have been a great help and your theories are very interesting! Now who's down to work on a machine? Haha.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join