It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking news - Massive Meteor in Manitoba, Canada - Air Raid Sirens Triggered (yet unconfirmed)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies/contributions everyone. I'll try to reply to as many as I can.

So far I have not heard any more about this, and I see no new reports here that support any other theory other than a bright fireball/meteor, so it's looking to me like this is another over-exaggerated report, but I'll keep an open mind.

reply to post by soficrow

Interesting find, but if something impacted at hyper-velocity, then there would have been a blast, rather than just a fire. It would have had to be a large object that remained mostly intact during it's passage through the atmosphere.

A small object would soon slow due to the density of the lower atmosphere, and after a minute or two free falling, there is no way it could be hot enough to start a fire. Since there was no blast, and the laws of physics prevent small objects from starting fires, I think it's 99 % certain that this fire is unrelated, and just a coincidence.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnixFE
If such a huge object made it into the earth shouldn't it be possible to see a spike on a earthquake monitor near to the estamited impact zone?

Thanks for the contribution.

Yes, I agree. We would expect to see a spike if there was an impact. There should also be a crater somewhere if there was a hyper-velocity impact.

Again, the evidence (or lack of it) seems to be pointing to an "ordinary" bright fireball.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocky Black

Nope never gonna happen.

You may be right, but then we have no hard evidence that anything made it to the ground yet. I'd love to see hard evidence of extra-terrestrial microbes too, but I'm not 100% convinced that what was found in those meteorites was fossilized microbial life. That is a topic for another thread though...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimisticPessimist

Originally posted by Trillium
Here a few new story i found so far

findarticles.com...

www.ebrandon.ca...

sound real to them

Your first link is from 2010.
The second, from 2008!

My thoughts exactly...

All it proves is that fireballs have been around from a while, and that this is nothing new.

Also, the second link is regarding an event that occurred at about 10:53 PM on the 10th August 2008, that is just two nights before the peak of the Perseid meteor shower.at 16:53 UT. This graph which is based on observed rates shows that there would have been 20-25 Perseids visible every hour at that time. I've seen Perseid fireballs 5 or 6 nights before peak in previous years.

It's a shower that is renowned for bright meteors/fireballs, and for its slow build up to the maximum, so there is no surprise there.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
This should be a direct link to the OP's story.

lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com...

I think the first link in my post was broken, but I re posted the same link twice just below the broken link in my opening post. They seem to all work for me apart from the top link.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
My guess is that the 'meteors' or fire balls seen early this AM(the 10th) and the one from yesterday early in the AM(the 9th) were actually caused by the huge solar flares from the past couple days. Such bright lights were reported all over the world in the night skies during the solar storm of 1859. The reason why I am thinking these fire ball looking things were indeed caused by the solar flare, is because two nights in a row over approximately the same area almost 24 hours apart seems.....? Well the chances of that seem very unlikely in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by loagun

I don't think that's the case. We get meteors/fireballs all the time, and if you check previous fireball reports, you will see that there were plenty of fireballs occurring even while there was almost non-existent solar activity in the last couple of years.

We also know meteors are not caused by solar flares, since we have recovered meteorites from some previous events.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
It appears that I may have spoken too soon when I said in my opening post (and elsewhere here on ATS), that there have not been any recorded/confirmed instances where a meteoroid has hit the ground traveling at hypersonic velocity.

I must have missed the confirmation that one had hit (although I remember the reports that appeared after the incident), but somehow this one got by me, and I apologize to any ATSers that feel that they may have been mislead. That was certainly not my intention!

In 2007, on September 17, in Caracas Peru there was a big fireball and some very unusual reports, including:

A crater 13.6 m in diameter and 1.04 m deep from the ground surface to the submerged floor.

A sound like a jet passing over head just prior to the impact.

Debris (soil) raining down around the impact site for minutes after the impact.

Windows of dwellings shattered at 1 km from the impact site.

An immense plume/trail extending upwards from the impact site for minutes after the event.

Also, many reports of people who had been near the impact site falling ill afterwords (attributed to a compound found in the meteoroid).

There are some papers available on the subject which I've included below:

PRELIMINARY PETROLOGIC ANALYSIS OF IMPACT DEFORMATION IN THE CARANCAS (PERU) CRATERING EVENT
THE METEORITE FALL IN CARANCAS, LAKE TITICACA REGION, SOUTHERN PERU: FIRST RESULTS
MULTIPLE EXPLOSIONS DURING CRATERING AT CARANCAS METEORITE HIT IN PERU
IMPLICATIONS OF THE CARANCAS METEORITE IMPACT
WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT THE “CARANCAS-DESAGUADERO” FIREBALL, METEORITE AND IMPACT CRATER?

To sum up what we know about the impact:

The impact was an ordinary chondrite, class H4 or H5, travelling at 3-6 km/s. impacting at an angle of 45-60 degrees. Initial velocities were 12-18 km/s, mostly likely 16 km/s. It is estimated to have had a diameter of 1.1 m, a mass of 3 tonnes, and the explosion to have been equivalent to 2 tonnes TNT. No fragment larger than a few kg was recovered. The meteoric material has weathered very rapidly. The impactor’s orbit was probably inclined at 25 degrees to the ecliptic and an aphelion inside the orbit of Jupiter.
The crater was 13.6 m in diameter and 1.04 m deep from the ground surface to the submerged floor. Water has risen to the ground level. The rim is between 1 and 3 m high. There was a strong secondary steam explosion from shallow groundwater heated by the impact. The crater was excavated into alluvium of a dry stream bed and has a large ray, the rim has classic inverted stratigraphy. The crater walls have slumped significantly because of their wet unconsolidated nature. Numerous microscopic shock deformation textures were observed in the ejecta.

Source: METEOROBS

We now have a well documented impact event to compare the event we are discussing here with, and many of the features that were observed with the Peru impact have not been observed with the supposed impact from the Canadian fireball. No ejecta, or windows shattered for example, which makes me think this was another false report.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join