It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get your fracking hands off my Yellowstone !! Gas Companies plan to Drill on Yellowstone's doorstep

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
In Arkansas they've shut down two gas company deep well waste water injectors on Friday. The earthqakes are greatly reduced and there only tiny one occuring every now and then. Now they want to drill beside Yellowstone.

Arkansas was a human activity induced earthquake swarm. Now the want to take the man-made disaster model to Yellowstone, where there greed and irresponibily could trigger a Super Eruption.

READ THE ARTICLE AND GET INVOVLED!!!!

I suppose it's appropriate that I found an article in a fishing website about Yellowstone. I am a fisherman, and we're obsessed with water. If you're here reading this, you may already know my thoughts on the fracking industry and you will already know my opinion. So, I'm not starting this thread by giving my opinioin and predictions to solicit help to spread this news. I want you to comment on it first. Then once I've given it a bit more thought. I'll blow my top and there will be a long tirade. From begining to the end, or not end, because this is another front in the war. This is the begining of the Yellowstone battle. The battle is almost won in Arkansas. The injection has stopped and the quakes are almost gone. There's no avoiding the obvious.

I knew I'd be going back to Yellowstone and try to protect her. I was hoping to finish the job in Arkansas before this fire started raging behing the lines. I must turn away momentarily. I have written about Yellowstone ever since I first came to ATS. It's the only thing that brought me here. I've been writing about Yellowstone for two years now. So, I got lots to say about the subject. So, I'll let you go first.

They're already fracking in the Jonah Field near Jackson Wyoming. Now they're wanting to drill even closer and are encroaching on the Tetons. A crow will be able to fly from the top of a fracking well to Yellowstone Lake in a matter of minutes.

This is my greastest fear realized. They'll get as close to the park as far they can bully their way "forward". I've said this many times on the Yellowstone thread, Imagine fiery geysers instead of the fiery water taps from the movie Gasland.

Now you got the picture.
Now you got the fisherman's article. No fish story. It's a monster movie.

www.flyrodreel.com...
edit on 9-3-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.
edit on 9/3/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
wow, id love for them not to drill simply because one of the largest volcanoes is right in the heart of Yellowstone... who knows what the next idiotic decision humanity will make next...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
wow, that fracking near yellowstone is almost as good an idea as this

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e2f589931cc3.jpg[/atsimg]

no offense to any of our amish members

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Well, I'll have to say it again: They know EXACTLY what they are doing and why. I just don't understand their reasoning.

Does anyone here understand why they would intentionally choose to go to the most seismically dangerous place in the U.S and 'frack it, knowing what they do about the causes of the earthquakes in Arkansas?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Good post Robin!

Yeah I'll tell you my thoughts. It's stupid.

First of all, they have imaged the magma chamber through seismic tomography. And this is known to be only somewhat accurate. But as it stands, the plume is in the 5 km depth range. And so are a lot of the horizontal fracking wells. So what I want to know is what basis are they going to use by which to decide how close they are going to come to the "imaged" plume?

Cause they damn well could be very wrong. I mean Christ, what if they hit a plume extension that's never been "seen" before? In Yellowstone, that could easily be possible, and it could extend for miles outward underground from that plume.

:shk:

Fracken insane- just like you said.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I dont know much at all about fracking and all that jazz, but what drilling companies would even be willing to give that a try!???
As much as I'd like to see Yellowstone, I'm too scared to even go there for a visit, let alone to drill into the earth around it!!! sheeesh, sounds like a suicide mission!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
The Grand Tetons and Jacksonhole? I thought Obama ,last year put a stop to any of it,whether fracking, oil, gas?
I must have missed something? Here in Pa., there are no regulations for fracking.
If they go near the Deleware, I know many people that will stop it in its tracks.

"Stop the pump" Those who remember know that saying.
edit on 9-3-2011 by mugger because: sp.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Why can't they just drill in Alaska, or the Gulf, or off the coast of California. . . . .

Oh yeah, The Obama moritorium on drilling.

But Yellowstone is cool?

I don't get it.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Weeeden
As much as I'd like to see Yellowstone, I'm too scared to even go there for a visit, let alone to drill into the earth around it!!! sheeesh, sounds like a suicide mission!

unfortunately if that volcano was to erupt, it wouldn't just be the drillers that would be killed. Scientists say that if it did happen it would destroy the united states and eventually most of the world. Yellowstone Supervolcano
edit on 3/8/2011 by mbaker90 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mbaker90
unfortunately if that volcano was to erupt, it wouldn't just be the drillers that would be killed. Scientists say that if it did happen it would destroy the united states and eventually most of the world. Yellowstone Supervolcano

THIS was my point! They do know what would happen if Yellowstone erupted, and they DO know that 'frackin causes earthquakes! So why then choose to 'frack in the one place that could cause an extinction level event?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Ah, but you should know by now that this kind of thing will make a few people very, very wealthy (or at least wealthier). Constitutionally, they are allowed to throw a little money (to them) at a politician - or group of politicians - via lobbyists in the form of 'campaign contributions.' The politicians will then tell you anything they can think of (they will just make it up!) as to why this is a good idea (It's a great plan! The Gas company just spend a small percentage, and the politician neatly sidesteps his/her responsibilities to the people who elected them, and makes something up about how it will create jobs/feed the whales/shoe the poor - that kind of kidney.) and eventually the protesters will go back to watching Dancing With The Stars or whatever. If they don't, local law enforcement will get a bonus to turn up in uniform and act as thugs for a day or two (and don't forget that FAUX NEWS will report on how unreasonable the protesters are being, and how un-American they are, and how they are just 'TERRORISTS' for even thinking that natural wonders are better than money). Hopefully, nobody will get hurt on camera (and if they do, you get someone to outright deny it!).

Net result is that the gas company gets what they want, the politician/s get what they want (they certainly don't want "you" spoiling their little game), and you get....well.....you get to look at gas rigs on your way to the ever dwindling splendour of a national park. The local LEOs get a little bonus too.

See how it works? Brilliant.

Before you go spouting off about natural wonders, and how lovely nature is, you need to sit down and think about how you are affecting the economy. Well, I know....it's actually the economy of the owners of the gas company and the politician they are lobbying...but you get the point. Shame on you for being so unpatriotic, and preferring the wondrous beauty of the US to the almighty dollar (not your personal dollars, though. You won't get a red cent.).

If (and when) they suddenly hit a fissure and lava starts flowing, they will simply tell everyone that they really hadn't foreseen anything like this, and will urge the government to give them back the 'lost revenue' from these pesky volcanic/tectonic activities. They might even blame some poor emergency service workers for not evacuating their precious staff quick enough (it's always best to start blamestorming at time like this). The engineers and scientists who warned them of such a thing will be heavily paid off or threatened not to talk to anyone - much less any 'congressional hearing.' Then, once everyone has their insurance money, somebody will proclaim that all is well, and the environment will probably just clean itself up.
If you have enough money, and political clout, this is the life you lead.
You don't have enough money or political clout, so your opinion/warning/outrage/common sense is lost.

Thank you for playing. We'll apportion a small patch of lawn somewhere else for you to be all 'naturey.' Your local zoo might be able to show you a bear, or bison, or whatever for a small fee. Please visit the gift shop on the way out for some Chinese made trinkets in the shape of an animal not on exhibit at the zoo (well, they are pretty endangered due to encroachment on their natural habitat by big business).

Tsk. Tree huggers. Geeesh.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mbaker90

The United States and the rest of the world doesn't include canada does it!! ???
ack!!

or should I say "frack!!"??

edit on 8-3-2011 by Weeeden because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I have been following along from the start in the Arkansas thread, And That motivated me to start digging into this topic..Every where I turned Fracking was taking place on or near active fault lines...Then the quake hit Christchurch NZ. so i did a little digging, sure enough fracking, deep well injection, geothermal injection all going on not far from the Quake affected areas..seems like they don't care where they do it.. in fact i have an idea as to why they seem to pick these areas..

Fracking creates fractures in rocks to release the gas/oil etc...fracking fluid cost alot of money....if they can frac an active fault..stimulate a few quakes..that causes more fractures for free...more bang for the buck..i may be way off base with that, but regardless....They Don't Care!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Terrific thread, Robin! Bravo!!!

I follow your posts, as do many others, and am grateful for the information you bring forth. Which absolutely includes your thoughts, feelings, instincts, what have you. You have proven yourself many times over here on ATS. Thank you for standing strong and showing your courage!

Please continue to share.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Here's the article posted in the fishing website.

[snip]

Fly Rod & Reel - Don’t frack Greater Yellowstone

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.
Text from the fishing website removed.
edit on 9/3/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

Probably because an extinction level event is exactly what they want. It is quite obvious. Just look around the internet, time and time again it is on record them stating they want drastic population reduction. Some saying they want only 1/3rd of the world dead others saying kill everyone except just 1 million people. What other way would be incredibly easy to consolidate all power into your own hands?

My opinion on this fracking is in-line with everyone else on this thread so far. Drilling at yellowstone supervolcano, o even just around it, is beyond insane should the idea of global near extinction not be their goal. In that case I have to say we have some of the most greedy and reckless people on the planet in this country.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Ok so how do we stop this from happening?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Yeah!!! We need to kick major butt all across the US!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
they can't afford for yall to get too pro-active, so it's best we all just simmer down, take a seat, and follow the charlie screen er sheen news stories.............

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Thank you, Robin! I am so glad you are on this! I've mentioned before on other Yellowstone related threads that I live about 200 miles from the park. It is NUTS for them to even be thinking about this! But sadly, I am not surprised. The oil and gas industry in Wyoming is considered sacred by the great majority of people who live here. If PXP issued a statement telling the people of Wyoming that a fracking operation on the shore of Yellowstone Lake was safe, a frightening majority of people would say "Oh good. It's safe then. Glad that's all cleared up. Guess they should start drilling tomorrow." However, the most environmentally conscious and concerned people in the state tend to live in the upper Northwest corner in the towns around Yellowstone, so at least we have that little demographic victory in our corner.

Want a good example of what they are willing to do to extract natural gas from the ground here? Look to the Wagon Wheel Nuclear Stimulation Project. In the 1970s, the El Paso Natural Gas Company in conjunction with the US Federal Government and the Atomic Energy Commission (shudder) proposed a project to detonate 5 "small" nuclear explosions (not sure what the hell they meant by "small" nuclear explosions!!) underground on the huge Jonah Field natural gas field in order to frack the gas out of the ground. CRAZY. Thank God it was deemed to be not such a good idea and was abandoned. I mean honestly -- nuclear bomb fracking? I do believe they are using hydraulic fracturing at the Jonah Field at this moment. For more on the story of the Jonah Field which is about 32 miles south of Pinedale, WY, check out this Wikipedia link:

en.wikipedia.org...

I know my way around the state publications and websites concerning the oil and gas industry here and have easy access to the oil and gas industry materials at the local public library in my town where they maintain a very detailed collection of industry publications and maps. Let me know if any of you need me to look for documents, maps or whatever! I am at your disposal.

edit on 9-3-2011 by dalloway because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join