It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Michigan Governor Plans to Raise Taxes on the Poor to Finance Tax cuts for the Rich

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
investmentwatchblog.com...

Michigan Governor Wants the Elderly and Poor to Pay

Michigan Governor Rick Snyder has taken a lot of heat for his budget plan over the last week or so, and for very good reason. Snyder is currently seeking to raise individual income taxes — primarily on elderly and poor Michiganders — by some $1.7 billion per year. Rather than using this money to help close the state’s budget deficit, Snyder is asking some of Michigan’s most vulnerable families to hand all this money over to businesses, in the form of a roughly $1.8 billion business tax cut.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Bout time people that work hard and become wealthy through blood sweat and tears gets a break. It's not easy being super rich.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
The Tea party is dropping bags on everyones eyes up in here!

Corporatists...

They will spend it better than you and hopefully, by the grace of god, hire you, IF you are worthy!

edit on 8-3-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

Ironic...when they tried that at work? We unionised.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
just another slap in the face to any middle class citizens...I expect to see more of this in many of the states to further fill the pockets of the rich pigs

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

…there are 12 cookies on the table, the rich take 11 and then say to the Tea Party folks, "Those unions are stealing your cookie" so that the middle class fights over table scraps, the rich laugh and laugh and laugh.
You’re right folks. Forget that a full 20 percent of the countries children are below the poverty line.

Or that unemployment is higher than the great depression
Millions are loosing their homes
And going on food stamps

Or that there are no more jobs . . . we rich people have outsourced them so we can make a personal profit. To Hell with the American worker. Let them work at Burger King and have no union rights anymore.

You poor and middle class people have to realize that we are the great ones who may if we choose, trickle down some money to you . . .that is after we use our money to make as much as we can on speculative junk that creates no jobs, then we may throw a bone or two at you and then watch as you all fight for it.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Or that there are no more jobs . . . we rich people have outsourced them so we can make a personal profit. To Hell with the American worker. Let them work at Burger King and have no union rights anymore.

Jobs, jobs, jobs! Why is it the people screaming the loudest about there being no more jobs aren't complaining because they are trying to create new jobs, or that they are trying to go into business for themselves, but instead are "workers" who seem to think jobs grow on trees, and someone isn't picking enough jobs for the "workers" lately.

"To hell with the American worker"? If the American worker can't figure out what to do in the face of adversity, then what good is that American worker? Is that what made America once great? That the American worker whined loudly enough about the circumstances that those evil rich people got off their arses and went to the job orchard and picked some juicy ripe jobs for the whiners?

You poor and middle class people have to realize that we are the great ones who may if we choose, trickle down some money to you . . .that is after we use our money to make as much as we can on speculative junk that creates no jobs, then we may throw a bone or two at you and then watch as you all fight for it.

And why shouldn't they laugh if all the "American worker" can do is fight over bones tossed to them by those evil rich people. If you don't want to put something into the economy by creating your own business, and if successful creating your own jobs, then accept the responsibility that comes along with being the "American worker", which is to be laughed at all day long. The new comedians are the "American worker", and their special brand of humor is to endlessly whine about how nobody does enough for them.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I live in Michigan and will be affected by this.
I will not like it, but please what would your suggestions be to get more money into the Michigan Treasury?

I hear a lot of folks complaining about wht these governors are doing, but see little if any options offered to fix broken states.
No one wants to give up anything, no one wants to lose any of their income.

I see nothing good coming from attitudes such as that.

We certainly don't want to fix this by asking Obama to have them print more money, keep that up and your whole paycheck will just about cover food....or rent.....or gas, but certainly not all a citizens needs.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Snyder would like to replace the state’s much maligned Michigan Business Tax (MBT) — a sort of hybrid between a corporate income tax and a sales tax — with a true corporate income tax. The basic idea isn’t necessarily a bad one, but the corporate income tax Snyder has in mind is much too modest. Overall, the swap would raise $1.8 billion less per year than current law.

You corporate haters scream when taxes are lowered on corporations or are given tax credits now scream when they are risen. What the hell do you want?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

There is no capital available to individuals or true "Mom&Pop's" is why people aren't forming businesses at the roots level of the economy. Decades of income stagnation combined with high commodity inflation has precluded the necessary wealth creation that would normally fuel it.

The plankton in our economic sea are dead.

You can thank those decades of pro-corporate, pro-superwealthy policies for that. Face it: the corporate vision has failed as national policy.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I was just talking about this today with some family i have in michigan. Your article here is crerry picking its information and well its wrong.

First Michigan is one of only three states that shield most pension income from state taxes. His plan is to tax all income, regardless of its source (except for Social Security). Michigan has all ways taxed private pensions and his budget wants to include public pensions (government employees). I was asking my uncle what made him so special oddly he had to agree hes retired from teaching. His other proposal mentioned was getting rid of the earned income tax credit roughly 400.00 for low income families. Now in truth this was give me money because they all ready paid no taxes and get more money back then they pay. He stated this will allow the state to continue to pay for Medicaid benefits.

Now he is cutting the k 12 program which i don't agree with i think education is important but his argument is that Michigan teachers have an average salary of $57,237 which puts them as 11th in the country. His idea here will force local school districts to become more efficient and lower their costs. School districts would get $300 less per student. In particular, he wants school boards to extract concessions from unions by getting employees to pay 20 percent of their health care premiums.My problem with this isn't the teachers picking up more of there health care. My problem with it is he could place school districts who are enabled to negotiate new deals in big trouble. Taking away the money assuming they will be able to do this.

Now hes not giving a discount to corporations hes proposing a corporate income tax of 6% Here was the catch about 40% of businesses were exempt from state taxes under mbt.However manufacturing was taxed at 9.9% and people wonder why the car companies ran from Michigan. His idea here make the taxes simple get rid of all the deductions making it easier for businesses to deal with taxes. Hopefully making it easier for manufacturing to move back and return some of those 850,000 jobs lost in the last decade. I have doubts this will work but no harm in trying Michigan is a dying state just visit Detroit and you'll see what i mean.

PS even though we keep being told the economy is getting better obviously its not as they say the gravy train is ending!
edit on 3/8/11 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

Jobs...are you suggesting giving them jobs?

They don't want jobs, they don't want to work, educate themselves, re-qualify, learn, or adapt, to new circumstances, create, or help generate, new wealth...nooooooo. That's so 50's!!!

They want handouts. They want to be slobs, and sit in their filthy houses, watching TV, drinking, and getting high, all day...that's what they want...

Jobs, let other have that hassle...keep those Big Government Handouts coming, that's what they want! And that is also why nobody, in their right mind, will give an "American Worker" so much as a look.

- Curiously, the immigrants find it quite easy to get those elusive jobs...maybe because they actually are willing to work.
- Also curious is the relation between State Bankruptcy, and the power of the Comm....errrrrrr Unions in those States...

Liked your post, but think you're being a little naive in actually thinking that "they" want Jobs...least of all to work...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Do not make the mistake of confusing me with a pro corporatist. You can make excuses all day long as to why you aren't creating wealth, but excuses do not create wealth. The capital is out there:

Companies in the U.S. received $26.2 billion in 2,799 venture capital deals, an 11% increase in funds from the year before and a 6% increase in deals, a Dow Jones VentureSource report says.

articles.latimes.com...

The question is, are you willing to go get it, and if you fail at first, are you willing to keep trying until you succeed? That's not nearly as easy as complaining.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Michigan like other states has voters who elect leaders based on catch phrases and looks. Last years governor's race shaped up like this; we had a blonde hair, blue eyed computer geek who was former ceo of Gateway Computers (who also overseen the offshoring of Gateway's jobs) vs our state capitol's mayor. An italian american career politician who talked tough and had the swagger of a mafia "made" guy.

During the campaign Snyder offered no real plan for people to see but just some quotes about having a business plan that will put Michigan back to work.

Since most voters are senior citizens they fell for old blue eyes who reminded them of a nerdy Frank Sinatra. In my opinion neither candidate was worth any salt. So they vote Snyder in and he taxes their retirement and they're all hot under the collar about it.

So now the middle class and working poor will subsidize the rich. Everybody is getting what they asked for.
We have 1.8billion in tax cuts for Snyder's rich business friends to "create jobs" (yeah right) and he is cutting the tax credits for the only industry that has been creating jobs in Michigan. The movie and video game industry, which has been creating jobs in construction, service industry, schools and yes, movie production crews.

Thank you Mr. Snyder and thank you voters is Michigan for not doing any research before going to the polls.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Well hopefully this will once again make the great state of Michigan solvent, reclaiming it from the hands of big labor. Everyone is so willing to vilify businesses rather than the failed anti-business policies of our corrupt legislature and executive, this occurs in every state and horrifically at the national level. This country’s citizens have become among the most anti-business in the Western world. Is it any wonder why manufacturers have left the Great lakes region, besides the fact free-trade should be categorized as criminal and high treason, it is due to cities such as Philadelphia, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Minneapolis, New York, Buffalo, and every other large metro area where in 1920 they voted 60, 70, 80% for the Republicans now in 2008 they vote 60, 70, 80% for the Democrats.

The people in these wealthy manufacturing urban centers became wealthy and rather affluent this allowed them to pursue other courses besides business, they began to seek equality for every citizen on economic basis, they wanted more labor power, they wanted more state, county, city intervention on their behalf. When these policies resulted in the inevitable damage to the business environment the businesses up and left these areas, making people even more furious that they would just leave the workers.

Unwilling to recognize that the courses they pursued were too costly and detrimental to businesses and private investment they became hostile to the very same businesses which had once given them the highest standard of living in the world. Now their hostility continues on, more anti-business policies are enacted every day and each day people become more angry and hostile towards businesses. It is like a wife beater who beats his wife who beats his wife to the point where she leaves him, distraught that she left him he continues to pursue her and every time he gets near her he beats her again chasing her further away.

Do not believe me about the cities and how they used to vote Republican ALWAYS just take a look at these maps.

United States Presidential Election, 1920
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fdfc58193d7c.png[/atsimg]

United States Presidential Election, 1928
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1223686bd410.png[/atsimg]

United States Presidential Election, 2000
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ed091241381c.png[/atsimg]

United States Presidential Election, 2008
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f74904a9a46b.png[/atsimg]

And this is only the results for the Presidency not for House of Representatives, Senate, State House of Representatives, State Senate, Governor, County or City officials. Yes I understand and recognize the fact that these two parties were awfully different back in the 1920s but please remember the cities went from being pro-business, socially moderate, and limited government Republicans to New Deal pro-labor, socially progressive, pro-government Democrats. Not only changing the face of the parties but changing the economic and demographic characteristics of the cities and states which the New Deal democrats seized control over and destroyed.

Do many of our businesses act criminal? Hell yes! But the problem here is only the big ones can remain because only they have enough resources to deal with and combat the big government, pro-labor policies of the left-wing Democrats. No more small ‘ma and pa’ stores, they were chased out by big business which destroys communities. It all goes back to the manufacturing area going from pro-business to pro-labor and turning into the Rust Belt.
edit on 3/8/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kargun
Bout time people that work hard and become wealthy through blood sweat and tears gets a break. It's not easy being super rich.

You do realize that the blood, sweat, and tears that made most of the SUPER RICH wealthy WASN'T THEIR OWN.

For every man who has more than he needs there is someone else who doesn't have enough.

Multiply that by someone who has WAY WAY WAY more than they need and you've got poverty on a massive scale.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Well, inforeal, you know how those liberals love higher taxes!
Maybe next time the citizens there will elect a Republican.

....Why are you looking at me funny, inforeal?.....oh, haha, my mistake....the Gov is a Republican. ....Ok, then explain to me why he is not lowering taxes?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by desert

He is doing something which is unpopular with everyone regardless of political orientation but it is the right thing to do, I applaud him for that.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
The governor should be simplifying and lowering taxes for all taxpayers. However most of the poor do not pay taxes now but instead receive protection money from the state. They have union enforcers to make sure that money keeps flowing.

I personally believe that if you are not paying taxes you should not be allowed to vote. Otherwise the non taxpayers rich a critical mass and start to dismantle the economy. They vote to take money from everyone else. It happened in Argentina and culminated in the confiscation of everyone's savings.

That was just fine and dandy for the non taxpaying poor. By the way their economy never recovered from that. They went from one of the richest nations in the world to one of the poorest. The elites intend to repeat that fall here in America.

Most of the brainwashed mentally untrained masses will fully support them in their efforts. It's too easy really to exploit the ignorance of the poor and the brainwashed. The dollar will soon be worthless and all these states and cities will default on their debt. Just exactly what will the poor be paid with when that happens? It will truly be cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
sad isnt it? greed and capitalism. if those people were smart, theyde run after the governor in a mass wth pitchforks and shovels. dont harm him, scarre him into a heart attack. hell, he's trying to do it too those their in michigain..so why not! justice is justice, fair is fair*

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join