It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.2 Earthquake Strikes Japan, Small Tsunami Threat

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

It's magic.

Umm no, it's a program us quakewatchers at ATS use to monitor the planet. It's called Global Earthquake Explorer.

I always monitor Japan, because as few of you may know, I have a long standing prediction that the next 8+ will be in Japan.

Heck I always monitor everywhere in the ring of fire pretty much.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
What I have found so far. Still looking.

JAPAN has issued a tsunami warning after 7.2-magnitude offshore earthquake north of Tokyo. The quake struck 160km east off the main Honshu island at 1245 Qld time, swaying buildings in the capital Tokyo. The tremor struck 10km below the sea floor, said the Japan Meteorological Agency, which issued a tsunami warning for Honshu's Pacific coast, warning of waves 50cm high.

Couriermail

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Yeah, I know, it's big. But what you are seeing is the P-wave first, then the much bigger S-wave of the same quake.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Im stationed near sendai in Japan but currently in Iraq im trying to get intouch with guys at home station to get a damage report

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Seeing on the USGS site that another 5.6 earthquake at 17.5 km almost 12 minutes after the 7.2 quake.

Thx for the info on GEE, ill have to check it out

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Okay, thanks for explaining. Here is what it looks like on the West Coast of the US:

Here is the intiall wave:

And then the second, bigger wave:

And they continue to get bigger...very cool/scary to watch. Hope everyone there is okay.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Don't know if this will be helpful, except as a comparison. But it's EMSC's link. www.emsc-csem.org...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Very scary indeed. The bible foretold of earthquakes in the end times. Not saying these are the end times but things are going haywire all around the globe.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

It's possible you saw the 5.6 aftershock:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

While I was typing the post...
edit on Tue Mar 8th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

Global Earthquake Explorer (GEE) Download Page

The Global Earthquake Explorer (GEE) is an education and outreach tool for
seismology that aims to make it easy for non-seismologists to retrieve, display
and analyze seismic data. It makes use of the Fissures/DHI for data delivery.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Here is the USGS map. Serious Quake.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cbbde5b5696d.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I hear from guys on the northern tip of Honshu the quake shook for 30 sec or so not violently up there but was felt no damage has been reported

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
The expected height of the tsunami is 0.5 meters, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake was centered 267 miles northeast of Tokyo, off the east coast of Honshu, about 8.8 miles deep, the USGS said.

Source: www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I have been watch the area around the ring of fire all week and to be honest i have been expecting a big quake somewhere in that area.I live on the west coast by Vancouver British columbia so i really hope it's not our turn next. Poor people in japan 7.2 and not very deep, hope they are ok

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I saw that post. "Save the rice!"

:shk:

Now man, come on. If that was you experiencing that big a quake, you'd be crying to mama, no doubt. Sheesh. Have some compassion will ya?
edit on Tue Mar 8th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
USGS so far:

MAP 5.0 2011/03/09 03:19:00 38.795 142.962 19.9 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
MAP 5.2 2011/03/09 03:08:36 38.339 143.097 24.4 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
MAP 5.6 2011/03/09 02:57:17 38.402 142.825 17.5 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
MAP 7.2 2011/03/09 02:45:18 38.510 142.792 14.1 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

The Global Quake Explorer is pretty cool.

edit on 8/3/11 by spirit_horse because: add to list

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Interesting, given I just read this article yesterday about this month's "super moon", which forecast the likelihood of a big earth quake....and here we go!

"The last extreme super moon occurred was on January 10th, 2005, right around the time of the 9.0 Indonesia earthquake. That extreme super moon was a new moon. So be forewarned. Something BIG could happen on or around this date. (+/- 3 Days is my guess)" So what can we expect this time? Earthquakes? Volcanic eruptions? I guess we can only wait and see.

Source

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Serafina

Thread about the supermoon:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Serafina

yeah... that fits into that March 15th time frame... maybe there is "something" to that whole doom and gloom "white house caller warns pole shift" hype...

Guess we will find out...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by caymanboi
Very scary indeed. The bible foretold of earthquakes in the end times. Not saying these are the end times but things are going haywire all around the globe.

I apologize for being one of "those debunkers" but I just had to respond to your post. You are absolutely within your right to tie seismic activity with biblical prophecy however I must respectfully disagree. I am not going to put you down and I do believe that people should be aware of what is going on but I just don't see earthquakes being any worse than in any point in modern history.

What I do see is the internet, the availability of cheap/portable technology, and higher populations worldwide. We have MANY more seismic sensors worldwide and for the first time in history a large % of the human population may turn on a computer and access a sensor anywhere in the world. Add that to the fact that populations have increased significantly in earthquake-prone areas.

That means our general awareness of seismic activity has gone through the roof!

Don't get me wrong... in past times the Banda Aceh was worthy of legends, the Haiti earthquake would have been noteworthy.. and the Chilean one would have made some headlines.. but that is IT. No earthquake besides those to would have made the significant news in any previous timeframe. Even the Christchurch one was "small" compared to historical quakes!

My point is that unless we are having weekly 7's or monthly 8's, we are not in a biblical period. Just imagine if the quakes we had this year happened in the 1600's, or even the 1300s? Who would have noticed? How many large populaces would have been impacted? Just because we are in a much denser populated, and much more connected world does not mean we are in the end times... unless you think the singularity is the second coming.. now that is stuff for a different thread.

All that I ask is that people pay attention to the science and keep things in perspective before freaking out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join