Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

ATS Street View: 11: Abortion and Racism in New York City

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
There are no topics that inspire passionate debate and controversy more than abortion and racism. This past week, both issues clashed head-on as a controversial billboard lasted a mere two days in New York City, in the SoHo area. ATS and our Street View team not being shy about any topic, approached New Yorkers for their opinions on the issues and the billboard. Some exceptional comments and thought-provoking sentiment is the result.

Standard Definition Version...

(click to open player in new window)

Click here to watch in full HD quality

NOTE: As everyone can imagine, the discussion following this controversial topic could become rather "heated." Lets do ATS and our Street View team justice by having a productive debate, without unproductive attacks.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I thought New York is the most Liberal places on Earth? I mean you have Harlem, Chinatown, The Irish Community, etc

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
To me the only people who are racist are the ones who bring up racism in the first place. I dont get why some people dont understand that we are all people no mater the color of our skin. The abortion thing is a choice. I myself would never do it but i dont judge those who do as it is their personal choice. Not everyone has the same morals and we should all accept that we are different and have different opinions. Why would we all want to be the same? You would never meet any intresting or exciting people if we all had the same thoughts and opinions. The world would be dull. Just my opinions!!
edit on 8-3-2011 by ucantcme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I'm for racism but against abortion... or is it the other way around?

Advertising for public policy always seems like propaganda. Too bad they don't just send a check list to everyone to fill out.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
"African American"??? ..... I don't see "European American" used anywhere to describe WHITE people. The vast majority of BLACK people in the USA have never even been to Africa, and neither have their parents.

That little bit is the only thing that pissed me off about the sign.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
It was racist, but not bigoted. And that is a distinction that is lost in this modern politically correct society.

As far as defunding Planned Parenthood goes, that is downright dangerous and contrary to the good of all Americans, regardless of your stance on abortion.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
I thought New York is the most Liberal places on Earth? I mean you have Harlem, Chinatown, The Irish Community, etc

you think irish are liberal!? what?! they're the most brainwashed catholics on the planet.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by RustyShakleford92
"African American"??? ..... I don't see "European American" used anywhere to describe WHITE people. The vast majority of BLACK people in the USA have never even been to Africa, and neither have their parents.

That little bit is the only thing that pissed me off about the sign.

"african american" is the p/c term used for blacks. personally, i never use "european american", but i've always been "italian-american". thats how it is here. everyone knows and is proud of their ethnicity in nyc.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The billboard should not have been aimed at a particular race, though my guess it was directed as such to get the result they got. THey wanted attention about abortion and they got it.

Abortion is a topic which has gray areas, if the mother of an unborn child is in jeopardy or if the mother became pregnant because of a rape incident, I believe that the option to have an abortion should be on the table, but to have an abortion because you have sex and forgot to use protection or the protection was ineffective, is not a reason to have an abortion, people need to be made more aware of consequences of sexual intercourse at an early enough age so that maybe there will be less feel of a need for such abortions later.

It is all about education of how not to have indiscriminate sex, but to chose a life partner and only have sex with that person. It is not that difficult, my wife and myself waited until marriage before having sex, and I am just in my late 30's now. The trick is to occupy your time so that you don't have time enough for sex before marriage. No sex before marriage, less unwanted pregnancies will occur as well.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
WTF!! whats this nonsense!!!!......what kind of negative energy are they trying to give the people passing this billboard....how many questions pop into yuour head when you see this...what sort of perception do i need to accuratly understand the message....contraversial is an understatement....here is a few thoughts:

1) am i to think black women are murders
2) should i pity them
3) now they disgust me....do they deserve my help.
4) lets isolate and categorise and label these blacks
5) ...oh....its because they are druggies.
6) well poor people shouldnt have kids
7) racist....good! one less.

etc etc etc...ALL NEGATIVE....i guess these advertisers are contributing to the subliminal grooming of your right wing ignorant selves.....its a liberty and i could make one about any race....about anything...
try helping the reasons why this could happen then trying to label people.

peace

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The Negro Project
Margaret Sanger's Eugenic Plan for Black Americans
www.citizenreviewonline.org...

Margaret Sanger aligned herself with the eugenicists whose ideology prevailed in the early 20th century. Eugenicists strongly espoused racial supremacy and “purity,” particularly of the “Aryan” race. Eugenicists hoped to purify the bloodlines and improve the race by encouraging the “fit” to reproduce and the “unfit” to restrict their reproduction. They sought to contain the “inferior” races through segregation, sterilization, birth control and abortion.

Based on Margaret Sanger's work, I would say that billboard is accurate. Many people just are not aware of the beginnings of Planned Parenthood.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AboveTopSecret.com

Just seems like the elitists stepping up their programs to keep the people divided to me. I mean, think about it - abortion and "African American" is like a double whammy. Stir up the anti-abortion crowd while giving it a racial spin... They aren't stupid.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Racism?People still do that?

Maybe people's personal experiences could be the reason for the hate.Maybe passed down to the kids from the parents for generations.You can't hate a whole race because of a few bad apples.Some people just have nothing better to do.

As for abortions?I don't believe in it.reason being is it's murder.If you can't take care of it then fine put it up for adoption for people who can't have kids don't kill it because you're afraid of the pain..there's no excuse.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
MAAFA 21 Do you really wonder why there are proportionally more ads for alcohol, lotto, and other degenerating things in inner cities, but don't believe that poor inner city blacks are targeted by abortion clinics MAINLY PLANNED PARENTHOOD??. A must see documentary!!!
edit on 8-3-2011 by Clearskies because: poor linkage

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Planned Parent hood.org

the site is the main site...

I have to agree the funds have to come from somewhere... and since the Republican Party won in an awesome sweep.. and the people vote the republican party in... well this is representative democracy

The truth is this is the first of many things to go... Because we the american people allowed the idiots to have the check book...

It comes down to this... If you believe in a social program like planned parenthood donate and keep it going yourself... Why should tax dollars go to this...

Well I am done ranting... good video....

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Although in the US free adults may engage in any sexual activity they choose, their sexual choices are not free of costs, risks and consequences.

Americans (taxpapers) should not be forced to pay for another free adult's sexual behavior choices. Let each adult pay the cost of their own behaviors and choices; be that abortion, STD testing, treatment for STD's or birth control. The poor could be given charity by those who desire to invest their money in abortion/population control, etc. That is not the role of the government.

This is how free adults learn to make positive choices in life. They weigh the risk and cost of choices versus the pleasure or immediate gratification. If the risk and the cost is too high, the free person will decide accordingly.

If we allow our government to act like they are our parents taking care of irresponsible children who can or will not handle the consequences of their own choices, then we have a society of immature and irresponsible adults who are not free and who are nasty and demanding dependent children. Parents can strip children of any and all freedom they see fit. Parents don't respect children as they do their peers. Children don't respect themselves like adults do because they have yet to accomplish adult goals.

I am a free American adult. I don't want a nanny state and I don't want to pay for that oppression and disrespect, either. I respect other adults in this free society to handle their own business. Freedom is a a double edged sword that requires self discipline, wisdom and maturity. That is the nature of a free society and one we want to live in as Americans.

So liberals, pay for your own dang abortions and STD's. And African-Americans were just given a heads up that their are killing off the next generation as the cost of their sexual choices. Immediate sexual gratification might not be worth that cost. But that is up to each adult to decide. Which is why sex is for adults and children are supposed to be protected from it until they are ready to handle their own consequences without burdening their parents.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Much like all of the Street views done in NYC this makes me glad I live in the country.

I only hope that the fly over states will not have to bail out the left and east coast over indulgence of the poor and ignorant who don't comprehend that poor choices might have some negative consequenses to your lifestyle.

sex might = responsibility
education might = a job
birth does not equal entitlement to anything produced by the labor of another....etc.

Abortion: I am all for a woman's choice - kill it, keep it, I could care less; whatever you do with it is your problem/responsibility alone.

I didn't have a hand (or any other appendage) in the issue keep me and my taxes out of it.

There is no provision in the constitution for charity fo any kind.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by AboveTopSecret.com

Concerning freedom of speech, does anyone know who forced the sign to come down? It isn't a freedom of speech issue if the billboard's leaser or property management company decided to pull the ad citing ToS clauses that allow them to do so at their discretion.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ripcontrol
It comes down to this... If you believe in a social program like planned parenthood donate and keep it going yourself... Why should tax dollars go to this...

Well I am done ranting... good video....

Government itself is a social program. I choose to not participate. I want my money back.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong with PP targeting more poor communities, since thats what its for - to provide cheap reproductive health services to those who could not afford it. And if statistically more poor people are black, so what? Should PP deny them abortions because of their race, or forcing white people to abort their babies to meet some quota? PC madness at its finest. The only one who is racist here is the owner of the billboard.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join