It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the best "Survival" book?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I have read many books on how to survive, and how to prepare for disaster, but I would like to know what you guys think the best survival books are. Many people swear by the U.S. military's field manuals, such as "Survival", "Improvised Munitions", "Guerilla Warfare" etc. Some people swear by the SAS survival book. And there are others that say " Heck with the military manuals, give me something that I can use!"

So what is the best survival / preparing for disaster book(s)?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
All that Military stuff might be alright but you got to "EAT"..I like books by the Amish peeps that shows you how to live on a very small piece of land, grow your own food, skin and prepare meats, etc....

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Foxfire series, pioneer principles of survival and self sufficiency.
Grew up reading these for fun, go figure mother was a librarian and a hippie. Also read Whole Earth Catalog for fun too.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

I always liked "Bushcraft" by Richard Graves I highly recommend this book.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
The Bible, but that mostly for the soul!

The art of keeping your ASS alive by Cody Lundin is probably one of the easiest ones to follow, followed by The survival handbook by Colin Towel
edit on 8-3-2011 by Kargun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I would highly reccommend "Dare to Prepare" written by Holly and Stan Deyo. It's easy to find on Google. It's probably the most comprehensive out there and is written for the everyday person. It is published by them so there will be some typos but it does not hurt the content. It's about two inches thick and covers everything you can think of and some things that you won't. It even teaches you how to read the date codes on products at the store. It is the true date code of the product and not what the store assigns.
Seeashrink

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
That depends entirely upon which type of survival you're talking about - wilderness or civilized.
My favorite wilderness survival books are:
Field guide to Wilderness survival by Tom Brown, Jr.
Northern Bushcraft by Mors Kochansky
Naked into the Wilderness series by John and Geri McPherson
Cody Lundins book is probably very good - he is a true expert.

THe SAS survival guide by John Wiseman for overall survival skills

I never planned on "buggin in" so I have no books on urban or suburban survival.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
SAS guide to survival 1 &2
SAS guide to urban survival 1&2

scout handbook.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
to be realistic any way to gain knowledge to save yourself or others..... its the best survival
read anything and everything cause one day it will save some ones life even if the knowledge is just pasted on to your children

The SAS survival guide by John Wiseman for overall survival skills
edit on 8-3-2011 by GodofWar411 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I would say my notebook lol. But seriously, look into as many as you can, take notes on what works. That would by my advice.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Depends very much on your definition of "survival":

you have to define the problem. to get down to brass tacks: Start with:

Cody Lundins': "98.6 ( keepin' your a** alive)" It gets into the physical/ physiological aspects of keeping the animal functioning.
Cody been on t.v. lately with Dave canterbury; lives off the grid in the AZ desert and teaches primitive survival skills
Some people assume "survival-ism" automatically infers "guerilla warfare/madmax scenarios...or of all ridiculous things:killer "zombies"
IMHO : backyard "Rabbit raising :and alcohol fuel fermentation; 4season gardening and dried foods books are far more valuable topics for the survival library shelf than: "Homebrew explosives and booby traps".But I am familiar and comfortable with all my firearms.

The fox fire series are valuable: probably available at your library though I think they are reprinting them; they are collections of old (" Appalachian hills" ) skills taught and recorded by the people who lived every day with very little.

Humanure handbook: safe human waste disposal and use.

IMHO all (most?) of the government printed military manuals are faulted by being geared toward staying alive ( relatively short term)to be "found" by and to rejoin with friendly forces.( where the "survival emergency" effectively ends at the chow hall with a hot meal...).
but books are just booksnotoverlyexpensive and all information is valuable.You may not use 85% but some where a 1% idea or lesson might pop in to your head and be useful..
edit on 8-3-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I'd say deffinately go with the Cody Lundeen books. That said, why stick with just one book? After all no two books are written exactly the same way, so get a bunch and test out what they have to say, if it works great, if not toss what doesn't.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I'd recommend the SAS survival handbook, a bit hard to get free online, but you can get it at amazon.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Pretty much anything by Lofty Wiseman, Ray Mears or Les Hiddings will see you right.

Lofty's books are my fave, cos of the way he writes.

You can also get the us army survival manual as a free app on Android phones..

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I recently ordered and got this book. It's now in my BUB

When Technology Fails - www.whentechfails.com...

It has everything. Water purification techniques, how to build houses (from clay/earth ), how to skin and cure hide, make soap, make cheeze, first aid, how to make batteries, how to make basic generators, basic tools, bow's arrows, traps.... you name it.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
If a for real SHTF (blown back to dark ages) scenario happens the best books in ones arsenal would be a language book. Anyone can figure out how to felt materials and make a rope but the one that figures out how to communicate/work well with others is the survivor.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I see some excellent survival books have been recommended by ATS members, but no matter what book/s you opt for, it's most important that you get out and practice, practice, and practice even more, until what you have learned becomes at least close to second nature. Folk such as yourselves may someday find yourself in a position of leadership, and the confidence you have in yourself as a survivor, is what others will draw their own strength from, although personally I feel the less others know about me the better!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I use many books for many subjects all natural living related...I guess my favorite book is... "Deadfalls & Snares" By A.R. Harding. My father gave me a copy of the 1907 publishing and it's taught me a lot. Old books are my favorite
View Deadfalls & Snares

new topics

top topics

join