It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning Of Food Price Riots In The UK

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Abductee001
I got elbowed in the ribs tonight looking at the student section in my local asda!
Almost had my hands on a cheap pizza when a lady in her late 40's barged me out of the way to grab the pizza and some sliced ham and a packet of sausage rolls. Did still manage to get a cheap loaf and some pasties

Last year a cheap loaf used to be 17p now it's 35p, and a decent loaf is now £1.35. Tins of Beans/Peas/Soup are still only about 16p (own brand). Can't see any problems/shortages at asda/tesco/iceland, no panic yet
Youve got to be pretty tough, determined and wily when it comes to getting your hands on the reduced food in Asda, I almost risked death the other week when i got my hands on four sirloin steaks for £1.50 each and half a leg of lamb for £2.50, but damn it was worth it, my family doesnt get to eat food like this any more because prices have sky rocketed, a six pack of walkers crisps this time last year was about £1.05, last week they were £1.48. The only good thing about it is that i dont buy half the unhealthy junk food i used to as it is too expensive. I have to recommend Lidl, its excellent quality, really cheap and the portions are huge, and also because its German it has hilarious names for things like Crispy croc crisps, and bags of innuendo laden brand names.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
If people stopped making such a fuss over GM foods and let scientists do some experimentation with genetic engineering, this problem could easily be solved. But the idea of food that 'they don't know where its coming from' makes the sheeple rage. Media fear-mongering keeps them thinking GM food is dangerous when IT ISN'T.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Techy
If people stopped making such a fuss over GM foods and let scientists do some experimentation with genetic engineering, this problem could easily be solved. But the idea of food that 'they don't know where its coming from' makes the sheeple rage. Media fear-mongering keeps them thinking GM food is dangerous when IT ISN'T.

What proof do you offer to show that it IS safe? If your taking the word of the companies, I have some ocean-front property in Southern Colorado I'd like to sell you.

Most people do not relish, let alone, like the idea of being used as test-subjects, especially by those they put in a position of trust.

Lies, and such do not increase trust.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I can see this thread turning towards a GMO debate now.

As for stocking up, take care of your basics first and then buy what you can afford in the harder to get locally items such as coffee and cocoa. Those will go up much faster in price than tins of beans. You can find green coffee beans in cans on some of the prep sites. Canned butter is nice to have and it actually tastes fine. I have canned bacon but I'm much to afraid to try it. Might be better for somebody having a craving breakdown.

As mentioned before, having a way to generate power and recharge batteries is nice to have. Water purification is critical and should be start of your preps.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Techy

If people stopped making such a fuss over GM foods and let scientists do some experimentation with genetic engineering, this problem could easily be solved....

Sorry that is Monsanto propaganda.

I can't bother to unearth the link, but over at the Warmwell site a couple of years ago they had a piece from an Egyptian??? PhD who found GMOs had LESS of a yield than normal crops.

Saved seed is adapted to the micro-environment of the farm GMOs are not. Also we now have SUPER weeds and South Africa had an entire crop fail because they blew it in the lab making the seed.

…yields have been as low as 20 kgs in one acre.

“ ... We had to spray chemicals 4–5 times on Bt cotton. The crops were attacked by various pests, specially the American Bollworm. The Bt cotton yield was lower than that of the local varieties, which are more profitable.”

Moreover, the Bt cotton seeds are costlier. Farmers who sowed Bt cotton got a yield of 250 kg per hectare while the local variety yielded almost twice that. The Bt cotton, however, requires less spraying than the local variety. “The local variety yields bigger cotton bales, which are preferred by traders.

....In addition, the Bt plants became prey to fungal diseases like root rot disease or fusarium. The Bt cotton varieties gave very low yields. Even the staple lengths of what little cotton was produced were so short that the cotton fetched a very low price in the cotton market.

Africa resists US biotech onslaught at Earth Summit

Delegates from 20 African Countries to the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the UN also responded sharply to Monsanto’s PR campaign, issuing a joint public statement in which they declared: “We strongly object that the image of the poor and hungry from our countries is being used by giant multinational corporations to push a technology that is neither safe, environmentally friendly nor economically beneficial to us."

"Roundup or Roundup-Ready Crops May Be Causing Animal Miscarriages and Infertility"

Dr. Don Huber, professor emeritus at Purdue University, - his letter to U. S. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack warns of what looks like an entirely new pathogen caused by Monsanto's Roundup and Roundup Ready crops
Dear Secretary Vilsack:

A team of senior plant and animal scientists have recently brought to my attention the discovery of an electron microscopic pathogen that appears to significantly impact the health of plants, animals, and probably human beings. Based on a review of the data, it is widespread, very serious, and is in much higher concentrations in Roundup Ready (RR) soybeans and corn—suggesting a link with the RR gene or more likely the presence of Roundup. This organism appears NEW to science!

This is highly sensitive information that could result in a collapse of US soy and corn export markets and significant disruption of domestic food and feed supplies. On the other hand, this new organism may already be responsible for significant harm (see below). My colleagues and I are herefore moving our investigation forward with speed and discretion, and seek assistance from the USDA and other entities to identify the pathogen’s source, prevalence, implications, and remedies.

We are informing the USDA of our findings at this early stage, specifically due to your pending decision regarding approval of RR alfalfa. Naturally, if either the RR gene or Roundup itself is a promoter or co-factor of this pathogen, then such approval could be a calamity. Based on the current evidence, the only reasonable action at this time would be to delay deregulation at least until sufficient data has exonerated the RR system, if it does.

For the past 40 years, I have been a scientist in the professional and military agencies that evaluate and prepare for natural and manmade biological threats, including germ warfare and disease outbreaks. Based on this experience, I believe the threat we are facing from this pathogen is unique and of a high risk status. In layman’s terms, it should be treated as an emergency.... "Roundup or Roundup-Ready Crops May Be Causing Animal Miscarriages and Infertility"

Dr. Don Huber, professor emeritus at Purdue University, - his letter to U. S. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack warns of what looks like an entirely new pathogen caused by Monsanto's Roundup and Roundup Ready crops
Dear Secretary Vilsack:

A team of senior plant and animal scientists have recently brought to my attention the discovery of an electron microscopic pathogen that appears to significantly impact the health of plants, animals, and probably human beings. Based on a review of the data, it is widespread, very serious, and is in much higher concentrations in Roundup Ready (RR) soybeans and corn—suggesting a link with the RR gene or more likely the presence of Roundup. This organism appears NEW to science!

This is highly sensitive information that could result in a collapse of US soy and corn export markets and significant disruption of domestic food and feed supplies. On the other hand, this new organism may already be responsible for significant harm (see below). My colleagues and I are therefore moving our investigation forward with speed and discretion, and seek assistance from the USDA and other entities to identify the pathogen’s source, prevalence, implications, and remedies.

We are informing the USDA of our findings at this early stage, specifically due to your pending decision regarding approval of RR alfalfa. Naturally, if either the RR gene or Roundup itself is a promoter or co-factor of this pathogen, then such approval could be a calamity. Based on the current evidence, the only reasonable action at this time would be to delay deregulation at least until sufficient data has exonerated the RR system, if it does.

For the past 40 years, I have been a scientist in the professional and military agencies that evaluate and prepare for natural and manmade biological threats, including germ warfare and disease outbreaks. Based on this experience, I believe the threat we are facing from this pathogen is unique and of a high risk status. In layman’s terms, it should be treated as an emergency.

edit on 9-3-2011 by crimvelvet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
No need to start riots over rising food prices. Just start shopping at Aldi or Lidl. Cheap as chips

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimisticPessimist

wait, so in the uk. a citizen can't legally own a bow and arrow?

and there is no legal means for a citizen to own a firearm?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Please take this seriously folks.
I have some staples stocked up now. If you have some spare money in a low interest account you might as well spend it on a stash.
Don't forget the multi vits.
Got some heritage seeds and bought more gardening stuff today. And some bread flour 1.5kg for 50p..
From now on I'm making my own bread and yoghurt etc...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paulos
No need to start riots over rising food prices. Just start shopping at Aldi or Lidl. Cheap as chips

You could just go to the bins of the supermarkets, where they throw away up to 2 million tons of fresh food a year. Enough to 6.3 million a year.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

The point of stocking up is when the # hits the fan. Which it could at any given time due to sun CME or some sort of terrorism or anything like that. If you could ahve enough to get by until the goverment has time to logistically supply its people this can take up to several months. Look at the examples given in current history. how long did it take the government to step in an supply people of katrina with water and MRE meals ready to eat. People starve to death in a couple of weeks maybe 2 tops because our bodies are use to such high caloric intakes. If you stopped eating today go ahead and try one day and see how that feels. Or better yet ask a muslim what it feels like to have to fast for I could not even guess but you get my point. not sure about you but I have 3 mouths to feed and 2 100lb dogs. That is alot of protein and water. I can tell you that I am self suffient for a year with what I have on hand here now. Now if I was to start living off the land I could go forever just living in my home with wood for heat. But I would only be able to stay as long as it would take the Chinese to come over and kick me out of my home for none payments. ha hah ha

edit on 9-3-2011 by Rocky Black because: Instead of CME I put CEM which is incorrect. CME is coronal mass ejection

top topics

<< 1   >>

join