It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does your thought process work?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
After reading many peoples topics and posts for quite awhile, I found myself always asking what makes them think that way? How do they come to those conclusions? What is the process their brain takes to formulate that opinion?

I have always felt that the way my thought process works is a little unusual and I want to get a better understanding of what goes on in other peoples minds. For example when I reseach a topic I try to find multiple angles and evidence to support each angle, review the information I have gathered and chose the one I feel is most likely. I accept the fact that I could be wrong and will never really know.

I have noticed during conversations with friends or family that when I bring up other possible angles to the disscusion that they dont get how I made those connections and I have to go through and explain the whole process. They then say I think to much and thats usually the end of the conversation.

So how does your thought process work?
edit on 8-3-2011 by ucantcme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I don't know about anyone else but this is how my thought process works..I have mental or intellectual activity involving my subjective consciousness..

edit on 8-3-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

hahahaha!! Was looking for alittle more detail! However I accept that many people will not want to go into it! Thanks for posting!!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I take in information. Internalize it until its unrecognizable. Swish it back and forh between my mind mush and usually change my mind at least once. Then I listen to others ideas on the subject and do the same thing. I'm wishy washy like that. I've always envied people who "know their own mind" I've never been too set in my thinking patterns, I grow that way. I can believe a certain way about things but am always open for more knowledge. I have a very strict code of internal ethics that can't be swayed, however. If it is something that does not fit into my belief system-and I'm not talking religion here, this is my cellular belief system, it gets the boot. Not sure if all that made any sense or not.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Christarella

Yes actually it did!! Thank you very much for the reply!! You would think more people would be intrested in this but i guess not!!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Christarella

My Mind Mush. I like that.

I guess that when we come across new ideas or thoughts, we can react or respond. Reactors react immediately from the unconscious aspects of their minds which some call the lizard brain. It is a defensive action. The inability to turn ther other cheek.

Responders are not controlled so much by the outside stimulus. They take in the information and consider it, like has been described above in your posts. This allows at least the opportunity of turning the other cheek.

Then of course are the reflectors. Those folk can take in information and "swish it around" and marvel potential depths of our beings.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ucantcme

I've been mulling this over, because it isn't something I've consciously thought about before

I suppose to a certain extent I'm much like Christarella - I'm always very open to more information and the fact I may be wrong, although I do have certain things I'm resolved on. That said, even in those instances I'm always interested in finding out how and why others may think/feel differently about them.

I suppose, if anything, my thought patterns are linear, sequential and therefore mostly comprehensive. As a result they also tend to be quite slow. I mostly prefer to mull things over and weigh out the logic before committing to anything.

At work it can drive people crazy in meetings; but I prefer to be resolved, balanced, informed and logical in my position/opinion, rather than just jumping into what could be anything.

I have wondered at times whether this approach reflects a lack of confidence on my part when it comes to decision making or opinion stating. At the moment I'm trialling a "go with my gut instinct". In all honesty, that approach makes me nervous because it doesn't lend itself to rationalising my opinion or position before I have to live by it.

Hope that makes a semblance of sense

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ucantcme

I have two thought processes that I use. The first is probably a common technique. I simply focus on the info presented and let it "bounce around" my head. Comparing it with old info chances are it will trigger a light bulb or be set to the side for later use. I use this method purposely and usually for a reason.

The second method which is a bit more undirected but much more insightful. I basically let my mind freely wander around my thoughts. I can jump from the stupidest thoughts to highly philosophical thoughts without a blink. The randomness helps create new neural pathways or new thoughts and ideas. I've never done it on purpose It's just how I think when my mind is unburdened. It just happens.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Induced knowledge from out there, knowing is faster than thinking thoughts, than comes realization of the knowledge of knowing than comes realiization to realize.. roughly put

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Thank you all very much for posting! I hope that other people who read these enjoy them as much as I do. I know that sounds weird lol but Im just fascinated by what goes on in the mind!!!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ScRuFFy63

Randomness creates new neural pathways. For sure. We can also do this consciously I think. Taking several different thoughts and sitting them side by side and sometimes by side and letting them sit. Sometimes for a moment until we can sense a new path forming and sometimes for much longer periods that we even forget about until they spring up much later and we find a thought thread in our minds that we hadn't know was even there until stimulated to life by some other inspiring source. Now did that make sense?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire
reply to post by ScRuFFy63

Randomness creates new neural pathways. For sure. We can also do this consciously I think. Taking several different thoughts and sitting them side by side and sometimes by side and letting them sit. Sometimes for a moment until we can sense a new path forming and sometimes for much longer periods that we even forget about until they spring up much later and we find a thought thread in our minds that we hadn't know was even there until stimulated to life by some other inspiring source. Now did that make sense?

Haha, oddly, it did.
At times I have had a random idea or thought, not a memory, appear in my mind only to slip away before I can grasp it. Its very frustrating. It used to happen to me quite frequently.
Anyway, maybe I'll have to look into trying to create new neural pathways. I am a lazy brain though. If it seems like too much mental work I shut down and find something better to do. I think I am more an Earth type personality, I don't mind hard work as long as I don't have to think. Seriously. I wonder if I'm alone in that or if there are more people on ATS who are the same. I can shovel and pull weeds and toil toil toil, but put me in a job where I have to concentrate on something technical or managerial and I'm shutting down. It's akin to poking your fingers in your ear and shouting "lalala, I can't hear you" Just can't deal with it.

Yes the human mind is an incredible thing.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I like to get others opinions on the matter first. And then I start leaking what I'm thinking, and if it doesn't jive with their thought processes, I quickly change my thoughts to more closely match theirs. It works wonders for the majority of the public, why can't it work for me!

Nah, in all seriousness, I like to think of my thought process like a flowchart. Based on my knowledge and experiences, I like a thought to go the direction of binary code. Simple yes and no's. If this doesn't fit, then take it the direction to get it to fit. I think I adapted this from being mechanically inclined (working on vehicles) and using the troubleshooting method to get to the root of the problem. I think reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" helped solidify my thought process to keep it as simple as possible without polluting the end result. Garbage in = Garbage out.

new topics

top topics

join