It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions about our current state of marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
What are my questions? My questions are how does ATS feel now days about the current institution of marriage, is it strong? And are you successful if you are married? Or is success apart of marriage? Because you know it is apart of the "American Dream" to have the kids and the spouse and the house. So does that not have a measure of how successful a person is if they do have the "American Dream".

While doing this thread I triemarriage101.org...on line.wsj.com/article/d to get some facts on marriage. Um I found that the divorce rate is 41%-50%. And although I could not find what exact rate of divorce for young people I did find that during this economic turmoil that marriage has decreased significantly there. No big surprise in that right. But here is a stat that had me going wow. In 1960 72.2% of adults over 18 were married.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by American-philosopher

Very few guy's are dumb enough to get married these day's. It is like a person signing a contract to become a life-long slave to someone else, and the other person has the right to deep-six all their obligations but your still stuck upholding yours because of your gender?

No thanks. I would rather live and die free than become a slave.

Marriage is nothing more than slavery and Divorce is a death sentence.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Damn I guess were going through a cultural change. It used to be everybody got married. Now marriage is frowned upon and ostracised?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The suicide rate triples after a divorce,
for both men and women.

Many people are in loving relationships
without being "officially" married.

Divorce was comoditized to make money for Laywers.

It is both wise, and healthy,
that the new relationships are making themselves
invisible to the so-called Law in this land.

David Grouchy

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I personally don't see the point in Marriage.

As a Woman, that often gets me funny looks from any of my Female Friends. They as Children and Young Adults have dreamt of the big lavish white Wedding, Loving Husband, Beautiful House, and a few little Sprogs running around.

I just simply havn't.

The idea of buying a House, Getting Married and having Children is not on my radar at all. I always get told "Well you just havn't met the right Man yet" to which i always reply "Your Dreams are not my Dreams"

I've met many Women and also some Men that feel that Buying a House, Marriage and Children is the logical next step in any long standing relationship, pretty much the be all and end all. I can understand the Children part as it's inherent in us to procreate. I guess also, we would like to have a roof over our heads, our own little corner that we can call home. But why Marriage? Why do we need to stand up in front of a Priest or Registrar and declare our love for one and other? Is that really necessary?

I think the whole idea of Marriage is crumbling, because people are waking up to the fact that it doesn't mean Squat. It doesn't make our lives any more happy and successful like we've been tricked into believing for many many years.

edit on 9-3-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I love being married, have an awesome wife and kids.............
I guess different strokes for different folks, but one of the pro marriage people here.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
I love being married, have an awesome wife and kids.............
I guess different strokes for different folks, but one of the pro marriage people here.

But you can still have an Awsome Partner and Children without Marriage.

Glad you're happy though

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Marriage is just a legal agreement. You don't need marriage to have love.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by janon
Marriage is just a legal agreement. You don't need marriage to have love.

Yes, but what purpose does that have in this day and age?

You can still buy a house as an unmarried couple, you can still have children as an unmarried couple. After a certain amount of time (can't remember how long) if you are in a long term relationship and cohabiting and you split up, you still have the same rights as a married couple in terms of Parental rights for your Children, Animals, the home you live in and possessions you have aquired over the years you've been living together as a couple.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

I think with marriage it is more a commitment thing. The binding of two souls. I mean with your partner you can still have love. But with the partner is ther that oath that you took. (granted that doesn;t mean alot to some people) But I don;t think it is that easy to walk away from your significant other if you are married versus a partner.

top topics

join